52 weeks in 2019

Never heard the phrase "Dutch angle" before. Sounds like an English addition to the language. Interesting because the Netherlands seems like it would have an abundance of of clear, simple, horizon lines.
How is "Dutch angle" defined?
I think it's generally thought of as a cinematography technique, but is also abused on instagram to make boring shots more interesting :)
All things in moderation, I suppose.
Here are some quick reads that can explain it better than I can:
https://erickimphotography.com/blog/2017/02/24/photography-composition-tip-dutch-angle/
https://www.studiobinder.com/blog/dutch-angle-shot-camera-movement/
https://movies.mxdwn.com/feature/why-it-works-dutch-angles-and-winning-scenes/

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Never heard the phrase "Dutch angle" before. Sounds like an English addition to the language. Interesting because the Netherlands seems like it would have an abundance of of clear, simple, horizon lines.
How is "Dutch angle" defined?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_angle

The Dutch angle, also known as Dutch tilt, canted angle, or oblique angle, is a type of camera shot which involves setting the camera at an angle on its roll axis so that the shot is composed with vertical lines at an angle to the side of the frame, or so that the horizon line of the shot is not parallel with the bottom of the camera frame. This produces a viewpoint akin to tilting one's head to the side.

I already did! I'll shoot one for the assignment. This is a moderate example.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Motion by telecast, on Flickr

Santa

Super Moderator
Real Name
Tom Staggs
Week 31: Dutch Angle

A195CEDF-3D61-4818-95BF-87D869A0B1FA.jpeg

Most Selfies taken with a phone fall into the category of Dutch Angle

Real Name
Steve
Hmmm...this is a shot not to be taken seriously, I'm experimenting with Affinity and finding it , shall we say different to Photoshop! The RAW processing is easy enough to understand. Anyway, I hope this qualifies as Dutch angle - the angle and the tone mapping are hurting my eyes!!

Real Name
Steve
Have to say I'm finding this week's challenge, well, a bit of a challenge. Probably because I don't understand Dutch angle in the sense of a pleasing composition, I just don't have an artistic disposition I suppose. Anyhow, I still like to participate, so I snapped my 11 o'clock coffee break and went for a wander after lunch and threw in a wonky horizon - roll on next week's challenge :)

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
Week 31 - the altered reality of the horizon line kept playing in my mind. I finally found a counterpoint in the real world (IRL) with a hiker finishing a trail and sitting with tech before he even gets back to the car. Yup, that's us. Completely changed in a single generation.
Amazing humans. Little wonder The Doctor finds them us so interesting.

And nearby, a "Sign of the Times" that I threw a very cheesy tilt on (Sorry to those who know how to use a tilt to good effect).

I resisted the temptation to add a panel to remind us innocents to "Raise trustworthy children". Somehow, having all the laws in the world doesn't seem to be working yet.

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hmmm...this is a shot not to be taken seriously, I'm experimenting with Affinity and finding it , shall we say different to Photoshop! The RAW processing is easy enough to understand. Anyway, I hope this qualifies as Dutch angle - the angle and the tone mapping are hurting my eyes!!

View attachment 765497
Agreed, my eyes are aching. Ready for next week.

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
Have to say I'm finding this week's challenge, well, a bit of a challenge. Probably because I don't understand Dutch angle in the sense of a pleasing composition, I just don't have an artistic disposition I suppose. Anyhow, I still like to participate, so I snapped my 11 o'clock coffee break and went for a wander after lunch and threw in a wonky horizon - roll on next week's challenge :)

View attachment 765819

View attachment 765820
For the second shot, if you rotate the picture clockwise and make the diagonal vegetation your "new horizon" do you think that will work?

Real Name
Steve
For the second shot, if you rotate the picture clockwise and make the diagonal vegetation your "new horizon" do you think that will work?

You have a good point, unfortunately I've deleted all the original files that I cropped the posted image from, so there's only the cropped image to rotate and heavily crop again. It definitely works and there's a balance to it now, well what's left of the image :)

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
You have a good point, unfortunately I've deleted all the original files that I cropped the posted image from, so there's only the cropped image to rotate and heavily crop again. It definitely works and there's a balance to it now, well what's left of the image :)

View attachment 765907
o_OThat looks great! I get fooled by the new horizon and then I see the island and the real horizon and start wonder if I'm really crazy!

About your deleted originals, have you checked the Waste-basket (or what ever it is called on your computer)? Most deleted files goes there and can be resurrected.

Real Name
Steve
o_OThat looks great! I get fooled by the new horizon and then I see the island and the real horizon and start wonder if I'm really crazy!

About your deleted originals, have you checked the Waste-basket (or what ever it is called on your computer)? Most deleted files goes there and can be resurrected.
I actually worked on them in camera with the USB lead, then formatted the card as I didn't think any of them were keepers. I'm just rubbing along with 52 Weeks because I don't want to miss a challenge at the moment :)

Playground nonsense

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim

View attachment 765497
Try rolling it back a bit. It doesn't need to be severe, just enough tilt so the viewer knows it's intentional.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom