52 weeks in 2019

Mountain

Mu-43 All-Pro
I took a few shots on film, but haven't had a chance to develop them yet. This will have to be a placeholder.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
I assume you are referring to the Telephone Booth as “the stranger”
I might be misunderstanding you but the stranger in this photo is the chap with the phone. I took the shot whilst walking along the (Thames) Southbank, camera at torso level, screen flipped out. As I approached the scene I released the shutter as I kept walking past the subject.

This is not a style of photography I practice normally and quite outside my comfort zone. I’m generally conflicted on the whole question of photographing people without their permission and initially I was thinking of meeting the challenge by plucking up the courage to approach a stranger and asking to take their photo. Then this opportunity presented itself and that wasn’t necessary.

This week’s challenge was exactly that for me: a challenge. But I’m glad @Mountain set it because it forced me to try something new.

Mountain

Mu-43 All-Pro
I might be misunderstanding you but the stranger in this photo is the chap with the phone. I took the shot whilst walking along the (Thames) Southbank, camera at torso level, screen flipped out. As I approached the scene I released the shutter as I kept walking past the subject.

This is not a style of photography I practice normally and quite outside my comfort zone. I’m generally conflicted on the whole question of photographing people without their permission and initially I was thinking of meeting the challenge by plucking up the courage to approach a stranger and asking to take their photo. Then this opportunity presented itself and that wasn’t necessary.

This week’s challenge was exactly that for me: a challenge. But I’m glad @Mountain set it because it forced me to try something new.

I'm similarly conflicted, and chose this theme to force myself out of my comfort zone. Love that shot. The composition, colors, processing and juxtaposition of old and new just plain work.

Santa

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tom Staggs
Yep I misunderstood the theme, I was thinking that something in the picture would be a stranger to everything around it like a goose among ducks. And when I saw his picture I saw that The Man was using a mobile phone and a phone booth was behind him not being used, in the world now that is the case because most people are using a mobile phone so the telephone booth would be the stranger. So explain your theme for this week if you please. Thanks

Last edited:

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Yep I misunderstood the the theme, I was thinking that something in the picture would be a stranger to everything around it like a goose among ducks. And when I saw his picture I saw that The Man was using a mobile phone and a phone booth was behind him not being used, in the world now that is the case because most people are using a mobile phone so the telephone booth would be the stranger. So explain your theme for this week if you please. Thanks
Woah, that’s deep man! Kinda wish I could have been that deliberate.

I don’t think it’s possible to misinterpret the theme. Maybe just to misinterpret how I interpreted it.

I reckon the themes have to be open to the imagination of the artist and audience. What you just saw in my photo genuinely blew my mind. I don’t think I’ve ever got that experience from photography before so thank you. :cloud-9-039:

Lupin 3rd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
R2020074.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Woah, that’s deep man! Kinda wish I could have been that deliberate.

I don’t think it’s possible to misinterpret the theme. Maybe just to misinterpret how I interpreted it.

I reckon the themes have to be open to the imagination of the artist and audience. What you just saw in my photo genuinely blew my mind. I don’t think I’ve ever got that experience from photography before so thank you. :cloud-9-039:

I think the best weeks have been when people think outside the box. Flare, scale, and missing were standouts for variety.

Just remember that truth is stranger than fiction and Bill Joel reminds us of the stranger in ourselves.

Mountain

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yep I misunderstood the the theme, I was thinking that something in the picture would be a stranger to everything around it like a goose among ducks. And when I saw his picture I saw that The Man was using a mobile phone and a phone booth was behind him not being used, in the world now that is the case because most people are using a mobile phone so the telephone booth would be the stranger. So explain your theme for this week if you please. Thanks
Interpret however you wish! I've been trying to keep them vague for the subject challenges intentionally.

Santa

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tom Staggs
This is not a style of photography I practice normally and quite outside my comfort zone. I’m generally conflicted on the whole question of photographing people without their permission@Mountain set it because it forced me to try something new.
I have this same problem, A lot of people act like they don’t worry about taking pictures without permission. I have Even had individuals harass me for taking their picture so this is an area of photography that is a hard area for me too. So my question is why do it if you are uncomfortable, when other types of Photography are so enjoyable?

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
I have this same problem, A lot of people act like they don’t worry about taking pictures without permission. I have Even had individuals harass me for taking their picture so this is an area of photography that is a hard area for me too. So my question is why do it if you are uncomfortable, when other types of Photography are so enjoyable?
I feel like I got away with it for my shot. But if I was doing this often I guess I sometimes wouldn’t get away with it and I don’t really want to be in that situation. But I am really pleased with the outcome so still conflicted. :daz:

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Take a picture of a building or other object with a stranger in it. Take a picture of a stranger facing away from you.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
I'm sorry, Ansel Adams is rolling over in his grave. I didn't mean "take a picture", I meant "make a photograph".

Harvey Melvin Richards

Photo Posting Junkie
I feel like I got away with it for my shot. But if I was doing this often I guess I sometimes wouldn’t get away with it and I don’t really want to be in that situation. But I am really pleased with the outcome so still conflicted. :daz:
As an artist friend of mine often stated “only through suffering shall yea be redeemed”, keep on suffering.

Latest threads

Top Bottom