1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

52 weeks challenge 2016

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Klorenzo, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I know, this won't be anything new for most of you but may be for those who often considered the idea but never found the...spark to get started.

I tought that sharing here the results could be a good way to stay focused up to the end:

52 Week Photography Challenge by Dogwood Photography

Anybody interested?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Sounds like a plan...

• Like Like x 1
  3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Should we have a new thread for each week's topic, or post everything here?

4. kauphymug

kauphymug Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Cowford, Florida
    There's an existing thread for just about all the challenges and if every thing was posted to one thread it would be gigantic. Logic would be to start a new thread for each week. Challenge Week 1/1-1/7, Challenge week 1/8-1/14 etc. Beginning intro to thread would be description of the weeks challenge.

Just my thought.........

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  5. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I think the original idea (clever, I admit) is to promote that Dogwood Photography, so I don't see why we should follow his schedule here and stop posting in those theme threads that we have already..

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Who said to stop anything??

I think this is different from the "Daily photo challenge" and from the "Monthly photo contest". It's quite similar to the "Image Quest" except for the winner switch. The main difference for me is continuity as I often say "I should remember to post something for the xyz content" and then...

About the number of threads: A thread each week is a lot of extra works (create, follow, etc.), clutters the "Contest and challenges" area and I think disperses the main idea of a year long task. I like the idea of a 100 pages long thread rather then a few scattered ones. I mean: you could browse through the thread and see seasons change in different parts of the world :)

I plan to print the themes list and put it on the fridge, ticking off a line each week. I think a post, from anybody, could be a good enough reminder of the new theme.

About the self-promotion. Yes, it's possible that he is doing this, for free, for self promotion: is this wrong? We do not have to use special tags, post into special places just use the list as it is. We could look for another good themes list completely free of any "commercial" interest maybe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I've also decided to give this one a try with a few friends. Going to even try using some off camera flash for the self portrait week one part... as it's something I'd really like to learn more about. There is also a Facebook group/community for it as well, would be awesome to have a mu-43 presence there as well. Log into Facebook | Facebook

8. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I started today with the first one: Portrait: Self Portrait (not yet finished)

• Like Like x 1
  9. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Portrait: Self Portrait
    E1212924-800-2.
    backlit with TV

• Like Like x 1
  10. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Here's mine. It feels like I should have maybe reversed the side of my main light... bah, it's all a learning experience for me at this point with strobes.
    16jandmc-gx7_1130519-edit.

• Like Like x 2
  11. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

5th January 2016 (Week 1)

This is about as close to a "selfie" as I could bring myself to take... :biggrin:

E-PM1 O15 BCL
    image.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    24196860345_f823a75a27_c.

Shot with the pop-up flash and remote fl-300r bounced off the wall. It was hard to get the focus right until I gave up and just went to f5.6. Spent an hour finding the power settings for the flashes. Then switched to the OIS Share app and took like a hundred shots. Upon review all came out very dark, so I went with the drama.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  13. vorlon1

vorlon1 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Nice image, the dark style came out well, I think.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  14. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    This is the theme of the second week:

Landscape: Traditional Landscape - Shoot a beautiful landscape and share it with the world. Find a nice foreground and don't forget the sky.

I do not think we need an exact time to move from one week from another, let's simply use the weekend as a reference. I also think there is nothing wrong in joining in later, with or without doing the previous shots. In the end it's just for fun.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I've pretty much decided to go with what the dogwood Facebook group is doing. 1-7 was week one, which puts the end of the week on a Thursday. I kind of like the idea of it as it gives you the full weekend to start the project, in stead of being rushed to finish it at the end.

16. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    It's an option. Using the we as a simple reference anybody can choose to see the first week as 2-8 or 4-10 or even 3-9. I'm going for the 2-8 version, starting with the weekend. Do we need a strict rule?

One question: when you post the pictures on the FB group can you choose not to share these on your profile too?

17. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I don't think we need to be all that strict about it, I just like to think of my weekend starting as soon as I walk out the door from work on Friday. For the FB group, yes, it looks as though they are public albums. So when you add something to them, it will show up on your FB timeline. However, if you go to your feed, and click on the down arrow in the top right corner of that post, you can choose to hide it from your timeline.

• Like Like x 1
  18. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Saturday 9th January 2016 (Week 2)

Fraggle Rock - Margaret River, Western Australia.

OM-D E-M1 PL15 f/1.7 with ND filter
    image.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    • Like Like x 3
  20. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Second week and already no time for a real shot. This is all I got this sunday:

24385347691_b08e15f2a5_c.

At least next topic is more...accessible.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016