50mm f3.5 Leitz Elmar Collapsible Lens Concern

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by ArticFox, Oct 17, 2012.

1. ArticFox

ArticFox Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 12, 2012
    I am new to MFT and don't even have a MFT camera yet, but I hope to adapt my 1948 50mm f3.5 Leitz Elmar lens to a MFT body.

I purchased an inexpensive Asian LTM (L39) to MFT adapter. I notice that CameraQuest does not offer this adapter, but one could mount two adapters together (LTM to M + M to MFT) to achieve the same result.

My concern is the collapsible lens, as it protrudes beyond the single thin adapter into a camera body. Is this a concern? Without a sample, I would guess that the dual adapter mentioned above would cover this protrusion.

Anyone have experience with this setup?
  2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

1) I would not recommend collapsing it. Even on the Leica M8 and M9, they have recommended not using the older collapsable lenses since it could potentially impact. I use a bit of tape to prevent the lens from collapsing.
    2) All lenses are designed for a specific film flange distance. The LTM + M + MFT adapter combination will essentially have the same register as a LTM + MFT adapter.
    3) A single adapter is going to be better than a stacked set of adapters. Tolerances on them are not perfect and stacking the adapters causes even more tolerance issues.
    4) I have never had a problem with adapters from ebay via rainbowimaging. Of course they are not as high of a quality as voigtlander, novoflex etc... but they work fine. This is especially true with the M42 and LTM (M39) screw mounts because of their simplicity.
    5) If you have several screwmount type lenses, you are better off screwing the adapter to the lens and leave it attached to the lens. Its easier and faster to remove the lens from the camera via the MFT bayonet style mount.
  3. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Tape solution...

About 30+ years ago, when I had the Leica [Minolta] CL, there was advice to get around the problem of certain lenses, such as collapsibles [and 21mm M mount?] projecting too far into the cavity between mount and shutter and interfering with the ingenious centre-weighted "semafor arm" light reader that dropped down when the shutter was cocked. Solution: lose the collapsibility of the lens by measuring a sufficiently wide strip of electrician's insulation tape and wrapping that around the collapsible lens barrel to stop it sliding. You judge just how wide it had to be to give yourself a margin of safety between the most projecting bit of back lens element or mount and your censor. Adaptor rings, such as the Leica M to m43 will take care of some of the width required. Good luck. I love my old Leice 50mm f2 on m43.
  4. ArticFox

ArticFox Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 12, 2012
    Thread mount simplicity

I value all of your suggestions, but idea 5 was surprise - I never thought of that.
  5. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    The CL and M5 both had problems with collapsible lenses as did some of the Voigtlander Bessa bodies. I've seen various arrangements of tape or rubber bands in use on Elmars to prevent them damaging internal body parts
  6. the.growler

the.growler Mu-43 Regular