50mm f/1.4

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Chase, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Chase

Chase New to Mu-43

Nov 19, 2013
    Is it just me or is Oly and Panny purposely skipping out on making a cheap 50mm lens for portraits?

It could even be the size and price of Nikon's 50mm f/1.4G and I would have no problem with it. Just imagine an autofocus 100mm f/2.8 equivalent lens instead of 90mm f/3.6 we get from the tiny Olympus 45mm. I used to shoot with my Nikon 105mm f/2.8 macro and loved it for portrait. I feel like I'm being cheated with my OM-D. :tongue:

2012-0721-PanasonicLeica25f1_4-vs-Nikon50f1_4G.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Longer, brighter, and as good as the 45? And cheapish? That is a tall order... To make a lens good at 1,4 is not easy, not many lenses are in my xp. Those who are, cost extra. The nikkor afs 50f1,4 is a decent lens, but soft open. IMO the oly 45 surpass it when compared on dx bodies until stopping down beyond 1,8. So I do not think you'll have that wish fullfilled, mate. The panaleica nocticron is coming, I cannot imagine a third native option in that focal range. Maybe sigma will step up to the task? Could be interesting.

Patrick K

3. Chase

Chase New to Mu-43

Nov 19, 2013
    Well obviously, I don't expect a 1.4 lens to match a 1.8 lens performance wide open, but I expect it to meet the 45mm at 1.8 and be a little better at like 2.8. I'm pretty sure Olympus made some compromises trying to fit everything in a small/tight package. What I want is them not to care about the form factor and just make a 50mm which seems to be an easy focal length to produce and naturally, not be too huge in size. I'd buy a 50mm f/1.4 for around $500 with the 45-like performance. The Olympus' 75mm f/1.8 should have been a 100mm f/2. So basically, I want more creative aperture control because I feel like that's something that is lacking in the longer focal lengths.

4. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    I see where you are coming from. But I also feel the only compromise made in the 45 is buildmaterials. It is truly an excellent lens. Sure, I wouldn't mind it being 1,4 if it was as good @1,4. But for extreme DOF you need see elsewhere. Personally, I solve that problem by adapting bright tele's. Good fun. 90f2 and 180f2,8, excellent imagemakers. Regarding the 75, I feel it is not too short, but rather a tad long. Is almost equivalent to a 135, but not quite.

It seems you should save up for the nocticron though:)

Patrick K

5. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    They probably think that they already make the 45mm f1.8 as a cheap and extremely good lens for portraiture.