1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

50mm f/1.4 Legacy Battle!!! Which one is the best?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Oyapon, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Oyapon

Oyapon Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 12, 2011
    Hi all

The Panasonic Leica DG 25mm f/1.4 seems to be perfect for me, but for now i can't buy it.

So i am looking for a 50mm f/1.4 legacy for my GH2.

Which one is the sharpest and has the best bokeh?

The Canon FL/FD, Olympus OM, Pentax SMC, Pentax Super Takumar, Pentax M, Minolta Rokkor or Nikkor?

2. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    You can't really go wrong with any of the lenses you mentioned. It may depends also on what other legacy lenses you already have / want to buy (consistency can be a plus between pictures, each brand has a "signature" that's difficult to explain but jumps in your face when you mix different brands).

Canon FD, Minolta SR and Olympus OM mounts are dead ends, so they command a somewhat lower price than Pentax K and Nikon mounts which can be used on current cameras. All have a complete range of focal and many 3rd party lenses more. Depending on where you live, availability can also be vastly different.

Cheers,

3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    have you tried browsing the adapted lens threads for those lenses?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    Apologies if you are aware of this already, but a 50mm f1.4 legacy lens will be a short-telephoto FOV on a mu-43 camera. It will not be similar to shooting with a 25mm f1.4.

And like Mauve said, you really cannot go wrong with any of the lenses you mentioned.

if you want something more compact, try looking for a pancake style lens in the 40mm to 50mm range, otherwise most 50mm f1.4 lenses w/adapter will seem huge on a mu-43 body.

Good luck in your search.

--Warren

5. Be prepared for responses that recommend each of these brands/lenses plus a few more besides...

6. Oyapon

Oyapon Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 12, 2011
    I only have the 14-42 lens kit. :roll eyes:

I live in Brazil, but had no problems buying in US.

Good advice on "dead ends" lens!

Thanks Mauve

7. Oyapon

Oyapon Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 12, 2011
    Yes. the fotodiox and rainbow adapters seems to be a great value

8. Oyapon

Oyapon Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 12, 2011
    Definitely the 20mm f/1.7 is in my top list. I think i will like the 100mm "equivalent" for my portraits. I'm little worried about the lack of stabilization at 100mm.

Thank you Warren

9. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I have a Super Takumar 50/1.4 and its sharp even wide open, but like Nic(lucky) said all of these are good lenses. I also have a Mamiya/Sekor 55/1.4 and it's real close. I just almost never use either, due to owning the 20mm.

With the Maniya 55/1.4
    5992417775_9ff495e39c_b.

With the Super Tak 50/1.4
    P1090104.

Both taken wide open @1.4

• Like Like x 3
  10. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    I would say you need a pre-aspheric Leica Summilux but that'll cost you more than the Panasonic in M mount. Most old fast 50s (f1.4) will look soft in sharpness and contrast terms when put up against modern lenses. It's a look that's very appealing for portraits when you add in the flarey "glow" these lenses usually exhibit as illustrated admirably by KVG's samples above.
    If you want 21st century sharpness and contrast at around that focal length I'd order an Olympus 45/1.8.

11. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I agree 100% mark

12. There's no rule that says you have to shoot an f/1.4 lens permanently at f/1.4, though. Wide-open performance of fast lenses has improved considerably, but at normal aperture settings the gap is often negligible between new and old.

• Like Like x 1
  13. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    On my mamiya I usually shoot @f2-2.8 for sharper images with out the wide open glow

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

14. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I had been hunting for the faster ones for a while, and while not the sharpest, the C/Y Zeiss Planar 50/1.4 is clearly the favorite. However, in real life I also found that 2.0 often is more than enough, and I am sticking with a 50/2 Leica Summicron which is sharp enough at 2.0 and a dream to work with on the GH2. I actually decided to sell all the other 50mm lenses and only keep the Summicron for manual and check out the new Oly 45/1.8 as an autofocus option.

Stefan

15. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    What's that old proverb again? Oh, yeah "at f8 all lenses are equal" :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  16. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I use the SMC Pentax M50/f1.4 and it's a wonderful little piece of kit. I've posted quite a few photos in the Adapted Lens Archive if you want to check it out... Mint examples can be found for less than $100USD. (Actually I'm waiting on a deal for a K50/f1.2 at the moment, so I may be selling the f1.4 if you're interested...)

The M50/f1.7 is also very good and riduculously cheap ($50 mint) if you don't mind half a stop less aperture... It's also quite little :smile:

17. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I've been really impressed with my Canon FD 50 1.8 and I've been told the 1.4 is even better (Hence me searching for one!)

18. photobizzz

photobizzz Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 1, 2011
    You have left out the Konica Hexanon AR mount lenses, which are very well made and as sharp as a Canon / Nikon / Olympus of the same era when stopped down. They all will be soft wide open which is of course a big draw for portraits. I personally want the 50/1.2 Canon LTM lens which is a planar design and has a beautiful glow when shot wide open but they run between $400-600 depending on their condition. I picked up a Konica 40/1.8 AR lens that is a pancake design that gives a very nice look for portraiture and have a 50/1.4 on the way. Both were under $50 each used in EX condition. Here is an example of the 40/1.8 wide open.

Oly E-PL1 & 40/1.8

• Like Like x 1
  19. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I have the Konica 50mm f1.4 that is a super portrait lens, and very sharp from f4 and up.

20. jumbotron

jumbotron Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    Another vote for the Zeiss Planar T. It's the reason I bought into the PEN system - new life to iconic glass.