1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

$50 off cameras and lenses at Gearshop.

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by lenshoarder, Oct 12, 2013.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Sign up and make a gearlist at gearshop and get a coupon for $50 off cameras and lenses. The coupon code is "GEARLIST" but you still need to go through the steps to enable your account to use it. Takes about 24 hours for that to happen. Then you can use the coupon even if they haven't mailed it to you. The delay made me miss the Samyang 16mm F2 lens for $283. It would have been $233 after the coupon. That would have been a great price. Now it's back up to $479.

http://gearshop.dpreview.com/

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    It wouldn't let me apply the code to the Panasonic 45-150mm for $169. Sucks.

3. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    Gearshop has the Panasonic 25mm for $529 before coupon, $479 after. Very tempting.

DMC-LX7 is $319 before coupon, $269 after. A very good price for a brand new unit.

4. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    It also wouldn't let me apply the credit to the Sigma 60mm f2.8 lens for $239.

Frankly, since they are going to charge me sales tax, this credit is useless to me on any item that costs more than $500 or so, and it looks like I can't use it on anything that's less costly than that.

Seems pretty worthless to me.

Update: It also wouldn't let me apply the credit to the Samyang 7.5mm fisheye lens at $269. I'm done wasting my time with this

• Like Like x 2
  5. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    When did you sign up?

6. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    When did you sign up?

7. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    A while back. I got the e-mail with the code a couple of days ago.

8. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    I was thinking you just signed up. In which case it wouldn't work. You have to wait for it to be noted in your account. I just tried applying it to the Samyang 7.5mm and it works just fine.

Are you applying it to the same account you created the gearlist with? It's not a generic coupon you can apply to any account.

Attached Files:

9. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I only have one DPReview account. Where would it notify me? A couple of days ago, I received this e-mail:

"Hello,

Thank you for building a GearList. Doing so has earned you $50 towards your next camera or lens purchase. At the Review And Place Your Order page enter the code GEARLIST (in all caps) to apply your $50 credit. The credit must be used by November 11, 2013. Full terms and conditions can be found here:

http://gearshop.dpreview.com/help/gearlist-credit

We hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Department
    DPReview GearShop
    http://gearshop.dpreview.com

Please note: this e-mail was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message."

10. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Maybe there were birthing problems when you signed up. Try signing up again with a different account or your Amazon account. The coupon does work. I've only test tried it on about 4-5 lenses, but it worked on each one for me. I'm waiting for the Samyang 16mm F2 to drop back down to $283.

11. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Frankly, it's not worth the effort, because the two lenses I tried it on, I wasn't intending to follow through with, because the deal is simply not that great - I simply plugged in the code out of curiosity to see what I would have saved IF the deal was available to me:

I'd be saving $50, but paying at least $20-25 in sales tax that I wouldn't pay if ordering from Adorama, or B&H or Cameta. And I am not really that interested in buying these lenses new - I'd rather wait to buy them used for cheaper if I bought them at all. So, like I said, I'm done wasting my time with it. I've already wasted more than $25 worth of my time so far, which is all I would have saved anyways.

12. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    It let me apply the code to the Panasonic, at least it did yesterday. I didn't complete the transaction just looked at it in my Cart

13. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Since you weren't intending to buy the lenses to begin with, how did it waste any of your time? You were just trying to satisfy your curiosity. That was accomplished.

14. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Actually, my curiosity was not satisfied, since I never saw a discounted lens made available to me. In any case, when companies do shoddy promos that don't actually offer what they promise - TO ME, irrespective of what they delivered to other people - I simply put them on the list of places I won't do business with in the future. As I said, I generally avoid buying from Amazon or their affiliates in any case when they offer the same price as other places, because they charge California sales tax, whereas all of the various reputable New York camera stores (such as Cameta, B&H & Adorama) that I regularly buy from, don't charge me California tax.

I might possibly have bought the Sigma lens, since I have never seen it sold Used, and the best price I can get on it New is $230, so I still would have saved $20 on it. But as I said, it's really not worth the aggravation to save a mere $20 on it - when I'm happy not to buy it at the New price in any case.

15. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just added gear to my list today! I'll try again tomorrow. :wink: But yeah, I'll get charged tax as well. I guess the discount isn't too bad for the 40-150mm. I just want a small telephoto to fart around with if I'm at the zoo with my kid or something. Though I have a full dedicated full frame kit as well, but I really hate lugging that stuff around!

16. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    It should work by tomorrow. I signed up last night and it's working today.

$119 for the 45-150mm is a steal regardless of tax. I just hope that the price doesn't go up. DPreview is owned by Amazon and thus Gearshop is really just Amazon. The prices are the same as Amazon. Amazon does dynamic pricing. So the more people that buy, the higher the price goes. The lens I was looking at went from $283 to $449 over a couple of hours. I should have bought it at $283. That was $100 less than the next lowest sale price and $200 less than MSRP.

17. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    They say it will take a few days to process. until you get the email, at least, the code won't work.

I thought that if I could knock another $50 off a GX7 maybe I'd consider ordering one now, but since I'd have to pay nearly $50 in sales tax, I wouldn't save anything compared to B&H or Adorama.

18. SpispopD

SpispopD New to Mu-43

Oct 3, 2013
    Hi all,

I thought I should report that the $50 promotion did work for me in my purchase of the Panasonic LUMIX G Vario 45-150mm. Having just placed the order earlier today, I have not yet received the lens but I did receive a confirmation with a delivered price of $119 + tax.

A few notes in case they might be helpful / informative:

-After creating a gearshop list it did take a few days to receive the notification about the $50 promotion. It was sent to the email account I used when creating the gearshop account.

-I was logged in at gearshop when I placed the order.

-I recall the instructions in the email advised to be mindful of capitalization when entering the promo code.

As the op of the 45-150mm thread I am greatly appreciative of both this thread and of those that posted to the 45-150mm thread about the gearshop promotion. It made the purchase decision an easy one.

Thanks to all--
    ---

19. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    FYI, I spoke to Gearshop customer service at 1-877-253-4579 to find out why the credit wasn't applying for me and my account. They never figured out why it wasn't working, but after verifying who I was, and that I had a gear list and what account it was under, the lady I spoke to simply gave me a blanket $50 account promo, which I was able to use on ANYTHING, not just a lens or camera. And I used it on a Sony VCU-ECL1 wide converter, that is known to work on the Panasonic 14mm lens and convert it to a 10.5mm lens. I ended up paying $54 including $4 sales tax, when the cheapest I could get this anywhere else would have been somewhere in the vicinity of $85-90. The last several that sold on ebay were going for $90 or more.

So, at the end of the day, I had a happy result, but one that is probably outside the scope of what the promo should cover.

20. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    So annoying. My promo code kicks in and the 45-150mm is out of stock until November! :mad: