Showcase 50-200 SWD vs Sigma APO 300mm f4 Tele Macro

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by datagov, Sep 29, 2016.

1. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    I recently purchase a used copy of the 50-200 SWD and I love it. It is by far the nicest 200mm lens I have ever used. Someone asked me how it compared to my beloved Sigma APO 300mm f4 Tele Macro and I wanted to find out. Today I had a chance to mount both on a tripod and this female cardinal obliged with posing in the same spot for 20 minutes.

Here are two @ f4. Olympus followed by Sigma. Not adjusted for focal lengths.

_SBA1808. _SBA1826.
    Now @f5.6

_SBA1811.
    _SBA1820.
    obviously bokeh is better with the 300mm, but overall sharpness, color, and contrast are very similar. I doubt this cardinal will pose for me again, but I will be getting the EC-14 later in the week and will test it out again vs the Sigma, though I doubt it will be any better.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Nice comparison. From these shots, the extra depth-of-field and sharpness from the 50-200 seems quite favourable. I expect that you could crop from the 50-200 down to the same size as the Sigma 300 and end up with the same level of detail, or darn close to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    That is the one drawback for that lens (even the 40-150 Pro has the same issues), the crazy bokeh it can have in the right conditions. A bit a go I did a bunch of testing with my 150/2 and even tho it gets a little sharper when you stop down while using a TC, the bokeh gets worse. Now I only shoot it wide-open and the bokeh is always beautiful.

4. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    Here's another one of the mate, closer to the camera. 50-200 @ f4

_SBA1787_01.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    That one has good bokeh. There is just something about Olympus zooms that certain distance to subject and subject to background combos create some ugly bokeh. But, the lens is capable of very beautiful bokeh also.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    Agreed. You do have to be careful about the background when shooting this lens. It doesn't blur out stuff that is within 10 feet of the subject.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Yup, that 50-200 is superb. I also use it for "close-up" flower shots too. Very versatile lens.

• Agree Agree x 1