50-200 SWD to 40-150 Pro ....

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
I forgot about that post, that was the first weekend after I got the lens. I honestly can not remember, think I switched between because I was testing out the lens. Looked in LR and focus is not in the exif, tried the file info in PS and did not see it either. Strange, I would think that data was in the exif.
If you open the files in Olympus Viewer 3 then you should see that detail.

sesser

Zen Master
Real Name
randy
Strange, I would think that data was in the exif.

It's buried in there somewhere. OV3 will tell you how it was shot (at least for ORF files it does).

Since I will be shooting action and will probably be using CAF or maybe SAF, it is a concern. Slow AF will change the calculation.

Here's some shots from Sunday using C-AF, Shutter priority, 1/1000s @ 3.5, ISO 200 6fps (so, refocus before each frame). Some of them are clearly misses, but it performed admirably.

http://photos.sesser.me/Olympus-ZD-50-200-SWD-AF/n-hcMJ8L/

Phocal

God
It's buried in there somewhere. OV3 will tell you how it was shot (at least for ORF files it does).

Here's some shots from Sunday using C-AF, Shutter priority, 1/1000s @ 3.5, ISO 200 6fps (so, refocus before each frame). Some of them are clearly misses, but it performed admirably.

Not bad, for my current purposes it does the job good enough. Hope with some improvements in the EM1 mk2 that it performs even better.

Ccasey

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Chris
...I feel that I have to get at least 200mm in order to get decent reach when shooting the kids' soccer games. The bonus for the SWD is the addition of the EC14. The Pro won't get there even with the TC14.

But, let me ask this question of those who have used both the 50-200 SWD and the 40-150 Pro on an EM1. Just how much slower is the AF on the SWD than the Pro? (I know the SWD will be slower on the EM5 or EM5 II)

Is the difference significant? Could you estimate the difference? 25% slower, 50% slower? Since I will be shooting action and will probably be using CAF or maybe SAF, it is a concern. Slow AF will change the calculation.

Agreed - 200mm is a good range for youth soccer. I have the Pro, so I pull the TC off for my youngest (U6) where the field is half-size and put it back on for the older kids.

I tried the 50-200 SWD prior to the release of the Pro lens, with firmware 2.1. For me, with that firmware, I thought that AF performance was not sufficient for U10 or U8 soccer. There's a big difference between tracking an individual subject against a mostly uniform background and picking an individual kid from a group of 3 or 4 with more going on behind the action. The Pro lens is not perfect, either; I'm very much looking forward to the E-M1 successor.

If I were in your position today, I'd be very interested to try the 50-200 lens with the latest firmware. The range is great, image quality is very good, and the current used prices are compelling. Find one to rent or borrow if possible before making your purchase.

Good luck with your decision.

Real Name
Walter
Agreed - 200mm is a good range for youth soccer. I have the Pro, so I pull the TC off for my youngest (U6) where the field is half-size and put it back on for the older kids.

I tried the 50-200 SWD prior to the release of the Pro lens, with firmware 2.1. For me, with that firmware, I thought that AF performance was not sufficient for U10 or U8 soccer. There's a big difference between tracking an individual subject against a mostly uniform background and picking an individual kid from a group of 3 or 4 with more going on behind the action. The Pro lens is not perfect, either; I'm very much looking forward to the E-M1 successor.

If I were in your position today, I'd be very interested to try the 50-200 lens with the latest firmware. The range is great, image quality is very good, and the current used prices are compelling. Find one to rent or borrow if possible before making your purchase.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks. Not likely to be able to find one around here (Hawaii) to rent or borrow, so I may have to purchase first. So far, it seems to be a fairly safe choice, and for the range, about the only choice really. You're right about 200mm being needed for the bigger fields (U12 for my son). I was able to get by fine with the cheap 40-150 for the U8 and U10 fields, but U12 is another story. :)

I hope the 3.0 firmware will make it work even better.

Mahalo,
Walter

jeffryscott

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think the 50-200 would work pretty well for soccer with the current firmware. A lot will depend on technique and learning what works best with the setup. Add the EC-14 and it makes an even better soccer lens!

I will be using mine for summer swim team, smaller venue than a soccer field, but need to be tight on the swimmers. Was only able to shoot one practice with it before selling it, but the replacement should be here any day. Last year swimming was shot with a Nikon D7000 and 80-200 AFS (w/wo 1.4 converter) so it will be interesting for me to compare. I believe the Olympus will fair well with the new firmware.

Real Name
Walter

Pretty good. Looks like you got quite a few good hits. I can see the plane of focus by the grass blades and it looks like AF was on target most of the time. Impressive.

jeffryscott

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Received my "new" SWD today. Looks unused. Arrived in four days from Japan! Won't get a chance to really use it until Monday though :(

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
Received my "new" SWD today. Looks unused. Arrived in four days from Japan! Won't get a chance to really use it until Monday though :(

That's how my (50-200 SWD) lens arrived from Japan too. The case hadn't been used with original ties around the (case) strap, the rear lens contacts looked very clean, in fact the whole lens looked very clean which makes me think it might have been a shop demo perhaps (& possibly the sellers cleaning the lens well). My only complaint (to my myself) was the exchange rate from US$(603 including sipping) to AU$, because of the low AU$, it cost me more than I had intended to pay, but I'm very happy with the lens.

Real Name
Walter
I took the dive. Bought the MMF-3, EC-14 and 50-200 SWD all off eBay. All from separate sellers (no great bundle deal like yours, Phocal) and should be getting them in a week or two. Hope they're all OK. Gotta find some good subjects to test it on, especially sports and birds. :)

Here's a question for 50-200 users. Do you use it handheld or on a monopod/tripod most of the time? I know it'll depend on the subject, but what's your preference?

sesser

Zen Master
Real Name
randy
If I'm shooting relatively static subjects, I'll bring along a tripod just for the ease of not having to hold the weight up. But for shooting moving subjects (dogs, wildlife, etc) a tripod (well, my tripod) would just get in the way. Monopod might be ok, but I prefer to just hand hold it and rely on IBIS. :)

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
My most common use for it is kids sports, so I'm on a monopod. I've also used it handheld or on a tripod in other circumstances.

jeffryscott

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I use mine 99% handheld, a monopod the other times. Haven't shot any subjects requiring a tripod yet. For field sports a monopod could be helpful, especially if you aren't accustomed to handholding longer lenses.

The following advice is probably overkill for children's sports, but since you bought this combo for soccer, I have to say it as I don't think too many people think of it. This probably applies more for high school and up, but keep in mind for the younger kids as well. Please be aware of your position on the field, and your surroundings, in case the action comes your way and gets a little too close (players and/or kicked balls, errant baseballs or softballs, etc ...) A camera/lens combo with a monopod can get rather difficult to move quickly, especially as players get older, the action intensifies, i.e. athletes get bigger, balls move faster. I've seen too many collisions and the player, photographer and equipment are all at risk of damage.

Good luck and post some picks when you get them!

Phocal

God
Here's a question for 50-200 users. Do you use it handheld or on a monopod/tripod most of the time? I know it'll depend on the subject, but what's your preference?

I am about 50/50 on tripod and handheld. I resisted for a long time using a tripod but found when using my manual focus lenses I could get sharper photos when using one. My preferred subject seems to be water birds feeding (love getting them catching a fish) so I set up on a tripod and wait for the action. Now, there are many times I pull the camera off the tripod and will get up to 100 yards away from it before going back. One day I will come back to no tripod, I just know it. I have used a monopod a few times at the zoo, butterfly house, and when I shot the DockDogs.

I took the dive. Bought the MMF-3, EC-14 and 50-200 SWD all off eBay. All from separate sellers (no great bundle deal like yours, Phocal) and should be getting them in a week or two. Hope they're all OK. Gotta find some good subjects to test it on, especially sports and birds. :)

Congrats, I know you will enjoy the combo. I got real lucky on mine, but I spent months watching and waiting. Hate to admit it but I also managed to get my FD 400mm for $150, way below market price, but I spend months watching and waiting on that one too.

Real Name
Walter
I am about 50/50 on tripod and handheld. I resisted for a long time using a tripod but found when using my manual focus lenses I could get sharper photos when using one. My preferred subject seems to be water birds feeding (love getting them catching a fish) so I set up on a tripod and wait for the action. Now, there are many times I pull the camera off the tripod and will get up to 100 yards away from it before going back. One day I will come back to no tripod, I just know it. I have used a monopod a few times at the zoo, butterfly house, and when I shot the DockDogs.

Congrats, I know you will enjoy the combo. I got real lucky on mine, but I spent months watching and waiting. Hate to admit it but I also managed to get my FD 400mm for $150, way below market price, but I spend months watching and waiting on that one too.

Thanks. I better start doing some weightlifting to get my arms in shape for handholding. Haven't used that big a lens in a long time. :)

I'll probably bring a monopod along on soccer days. Tripod too hard to move around and the subjects are certainly moving around way too much.

Phocal

God
Thanks. I better start doing some weightlifting to get my arms in shape for handholding. Haven't used that big a lens in a long time. :)

I'll probably bring a monopod along on soccer days. Tripod too hard to move around and the subjects are certainly moving around way too much.

For sport photography I would probably use monopod or handhold.

Real Name
Walter
Well, the 50-200 just came in. Yup, it is a beast. The biggest lens I had on my EM1 before this was the Pana 45-200. This one feels like 3x bigger and heavier. Will take a little getting used to. :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom