1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

50-200 SWD Focus issues

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by TomServo, Sep 12, 2016.

1. TomServo

TomServo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Brandon Jackson
    Has anyone had issues with a 50-200 SWD almost entirely refusing to focus on an EM-1? I recently got what looked to be a great condition 50-200 SWD but when I attach it to the EM-1 with an mmf3, it will not focus but within a short range. If I manually assist the focus can then lock in and all is good, but if the lens has to re-adjust any reasonable distance it just "twitches". I'even noticed that if I push the shutter button all the way down and then let go, the lens will keep twitching and trying to focus for several seconds and then make the exposure. All my other m43 lenses work fine and I've used the 35 macro and 14-54 4/3 lenses adapted before on this camera and they work fine.

Any ideas on this. I've reset the camera and tried numerous settings and no go. Before I send it back I'd thought I'd check here and see if anyone had an idea.

2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Interesting.........

Does the camera recognize it as the 50-200 SWD? Does it show the focal length in the EVF? It almost sounds like how mine works on my EM5, is why I ask the first two questions. I would start by making sure the camera recognizes it as the proper lens and I would also clean the contacts with an eraser.

3. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    Anecdotally, I've seen SWD motor failure reports all over the internet. Prompted me to seek a non-SWD 50-200.

I don't know if this is even how it manifests, but there's always Google to start

4. TomServo

TomServo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Brandon Jackson
    Thanks Phocal, yes, the camera does recognize the lens and reports focal length and direction for T<>W too. Astrostl appears to be correct. A little research turns up that the behavior I'm seing is indicative of a bad motor. Fortunately bought the lens from Adorama so it is being RMA'd now and will be shipped back tomorow.

5. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter