1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

50-200 SWD $350

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Speedliner, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
  2. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I would say this price is becoming the norm.

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Insanely sharp 100-400mm Equivalent f3.5? For $350?!?!

Time to start hunting for bargain E-M1's.. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry

Reasonably sharp vs the standard m43/43 lenses. Not in the same league as the SHG lenses.

5. tkbslc

Sorry to offend.

6. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    No not at all. It is a good lens for sure, but I would likely not use the word "insanely" sharp. :drinks:

It is much better than the standard long zooms for m43.

The 150f2 is definitely in the very sharp category.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  7. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    Here are a couple of examples:

50-200 @200 f5.6
    full.

150f2 @f2
    full.

I think you can see the difference even in the online JPEGs

8. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I have both lenses and it looks to me like your 50-200 example is either a missed focus or a large crop. My SWD is super sharp and just a small step behind the 150.

9. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    I suspect there is a range for both lenses. I would never call my 50-200 super sharp. Both of these are a slight crop.

10. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    The 50-200 is as sharp if not a bit better then the 40-150 Pro. The new Pro lenses are about the same as the old HG glass, not the SHG lenses unfortunately.

11. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014

You ever adjust focus your 50-200? Makes a huge difference. Before running the Focus Tune on my 150 I was very disappointed in it.

12. tkbslc

Not really wanting to start a huge debate, but I think sharp for a 4x super tele zoom and sharp for a f2 supertele prime are different benchmarks. What other 100-400mm equivalent zoom would noticeably better than the 50-200?

Lenstip says the 50-200 peaks at about 47 lp/mm sharpness at 120mm F4. The 150mm f2 peaks at 51 lp/mm at f2.8. I'd say that's pretty good performance for a 4x zoom vs a legendary prime lens.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    $300-400 vs $1500 and up. Any way you look at it, fantastic value.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I am not one to look at charts and stuff, which is ironic given I am a huge numbers geek and into that stuff. But, photography is my hobby and what I do to relax.

But, my real world shooting with both lenses pretty much proves the above. The 150 seems sharper but not by much and not enough to really tell in a printed photo. I took my SWD and 150 along with both TC's to the zoo and shot flamingos to compare the difference between lenses and and TCs. You could not tell which lens took which photo and with the ec-14 there was little difference. Now the EC-20 was different and seemed to work better on the SWD. I need to explore that more but have not had time.

15. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I am planning on buying a super telephoto soon, and am a little bit covetous of the 50-200mm, especially since it is now so inexpensive...cheaper than the 100-300mm Panasonic I plan to buy. But I just wish it wasn't so heavy. I just don't think I'll enjoy wielding a 1kg lens. The price of speed, I suppose!

16. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Not to mention that the 50-200 is weather-resistant besides being a full stop or more faster than the 100-300. Even faster compared to the Oly 75-300. Yes, it is a little heavy and big, especially when zoomed out and with the hood attached, but I found it to be a superb lens. I handled the 40-150 Pro, although did not test it. It's lighter and smaller than the SWD, but it also doesn't have the range of the SWD, which I need. And, not the cost either. I figure I saved over $1,000 buying the SWD including the MMF-3 and EC-14, over the 40-150 Pro w/TC-14. I couldn't justify spending $1,850 on the Pro+TC. I'm not a wealthy amateur. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    That's cruel, telling us how inexpensively that lens can be purchased. At that price I'd be tempted except US sellers never like to sell to outside the USA. No such bargains for Oz. I could buy a new m43 40-150/2.8 + MC-14 for less than the cheapest 50-200 SWD on ebay.au!

18. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    I think they just don't know how to price international shipping. Send a seller a note and ask.

19. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I sold a Pentax film camera and several lenses via PentaxForums to a buyer in Oz... International Priority Mail shipping and insurance was around $50 or $60 USD, iirc.
    The only worrisome issue I had is that the tracking was substandard; iirc PayPal can be picky about proof of delivery.
    However, I had a hard time printing the shipping label via PayPal and USPS... for some reason the international labels need Java to print; domestic ones never do.

More recently, eBay is handling international shipping themselves... You ship to their depot, and they handle the rest. I sold a Shure turntable cartridge to a buyer in Switzlerand recently that way.

Barry