1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

50-200: how do you carry it?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Underwater, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Underwater

Underwater Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2014
    Eugene, Oregon
    Paul
    Just got a 50-200 SWD- can't wait to shoot with it on my E-M1. This is my first experience with a lens this ginormous, so I'm wondering about the best way to carry it in the field when it's mounted on the camera. Attach my sling to the camera as per usual, or rig something to the tripod plate?

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't have the 50-200, but I have shot large lenses before. If the lens weighs a lot more than the camera, it is generally advisable to carry the camera by the lens and not the lens by the camera. If that makes any sense at all! :)

In short, yes, I'd carry it by the tripod plate.

3. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Break it down to primes :p

Sorry for the flippancy :D

4. Underwater

Underwater Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2014
    Eugene, Oregon
    Paul
    Good one :)

5. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    I carry mine by the lens

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    On my EM1, I have no issues picking the camera/lens combo up by the camera only or with it hanging by a camera attached strap. However walking along I will either hold via the foot or around the lens just to balance the weight.
    I do this both for the 50-200 and the 40-150Pro

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Good points. I usually sling my camera by the left hand lug alone because I use a sling strap. But, I just bought a 50-200 for my EM1 and that's gonna take some rethinking. I'll have to get something to attach my sling to the tripod foot, or carry it by the lens in my hand.

8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I carry my E-M1 with the 40-150mm Pro (880 grams) + MC-14 (170 grams) with a sling on the camera body only, but I do try to hold the lens as well (in my left hand) most of the time.
    This combo is heaver than the 50-200mm alone.

Barry

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    The body has no problem supporting the weight. I can use a spider holster all day with the 40-150/mc14, and there are no disconnections or apparent fragility. It is a magnesium body, we can expect a robust connection between camera and lens.
    The battery grip is another story entirely. It vastly improves handling with heavier lenses, but it can't handle the stress they place on it's connection with the body. If I use my spider holster with the battery grip connection point, the grip will flex and lose connection with the body inside 10 steps(this blacks out the camera). Even carrying the camera/lens combo by the attached battery grip, in hand, allows it to flex enough to lose connection and black out the body until you reset it. Clearly the grip lacks the magnesium build of the E-M1. It needs another screw on the other side of the multi connector to truly have a solid connection with the body.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I use a BlackRapid system and when I have heavier lenses, the strap is attached to the tripod mount on the lens. I've done this for many years with no issues. I highly recommend it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    A hand under the lens like we did in the manual focus days.

A sling that connects to the tripod mount works well for carrying when not in use - black Rapid, Peak Design, etc...

I like the peak design because their connectors can attach to a tripod mount and are cheap so you can have lots of them and have a great deal of convenient options.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Thanks. I saw some Black Rapid style connectors on Amazon and plan to order some. I'm thinking of rigging up a customized strap that'll work with my OpTech sling so that weight is shared between the tripod mount and camera body and that it'll hang the way I want. I don't care if it looks a little jury-rigged. :)

13. physicsdude

physicsdude Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    Jan
    I have a 50-200 connected via a cheaper Fotasy-Adapter. I am too afraid to hold this combination in a horizontal plane just by the camera. Like faithblinded mentioned with the battery grip, mine is losing the connection between lens/adapter/camera. Vertically I dont have any issues..
    Is the build quality of the MMF1-3 on a much better level there? I also have the EC-14 and it doesnt seem to bend at all.

14. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Any lens I have ever owned that comes with a tripod collar I have always attached the strap to it. When in the field I have it attached to my Blackrapid strap or keep on tripod and carry it over my shoulder.

15. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    Can't comment on the adapter you have, but I have no problem with the mmf-3. You also maintain weather sealing with it.

16. physicsdude

Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    Jan
    Can you slightly rotate the lens in the adapter, when mounted? EC-14 and lens have no wiggle but the fotasy-adapter does.

17. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    No play at all with MMF-3. I don't think that kind of play would be good for the contacts on the lens. That plays seems like a good enough reason to go with an Oly or Pany adapter, but only the MMF-3 is weather sealed.

18. physicsdude

Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    Jan
    I ordered the 3rd party adapter after I won an ebay auction. I researched for 3min on the quality of 3rd party adapters and looked at the reviews of my specific one on amazon: Not too many complaints, just a few rare ones. I should have looked for 5min longer :) My ebay seller doesnt allow returns so I might stick with it for a while. Grabbing by the lens might be sufficient for me for a while.

19. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Hey, I think I found a solution. No jury-rigging. The guys at OpTech have a Lens Loop that connects to their quick release clips. This would fit my Utility Sling. http://optechusa.com/system-connectors/lens-loops.html

It carries the weight around the lens mount. So, it would be like someone carrying the camera by cradling the lens.

20. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Oh I am not sure about that. For one, someone could easily disconnect and run with your camera and I regularly walk around with my camera behind me using the stops on my BlackRapid. Second, I don't trust those plastic clips holding my camera.......I can imagine them giving way or me not snapping in right and the camera just falling to the ground.

• Agree Agree x 1