1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

50/2 demo is back focusing and freaking out

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by shawngibson, Aug 20, 2010.

1. shawngibson

shawngibson Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2010
    I borrowed the demo from my dealer so I can go away tomorrow (waiting for mine to arrive), but it's freaking out. What should e-p2 firmware be at? This lens is backfocusing a lot, like 80% of the shots. Otherwise, when it focuses, it looks good. Couple home-bored shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    I'm really not familiar with any native micro 4/3 lens that's a 50mm f/2, if that is what you are implying in the title of your message. Are you talking about a regular 4/3 lens? If so, this should be in the adapted lens forum, as it isn't truly m43.

As for firmware, if you connect your camera and run the updater utility, it will always try to apply the latest available update for whatever camera and lens combination is attached.

3. shawngibson

Aug 9, 2010
    Thank you. It's the olympus macro, is that considered native? I use the 43 adaptor with it. The Olympus software says I'm up to date with body and lens at firmware version 1.0.

4. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Splitting hairs here, but there is your keyword. Adaptor = not native.

Here is Olympus' firmware version list. If you don't see product on there, I think you can assume v1.0 is the newest.

Joint update service for OLYMPUS E-SYSTEM - OLYMPUS Digital Camera

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

The 50mm is not optimised for CDAF on the Pen series and focussing can be hit and miss. Try manual focus.

I originally kept and then sold my 50/2 and bought the PL 45mm which is more expensive but AF is more positive.

6. shawngibson

Aug 9, 2010
    Thanks guys. Sorry for posting in the wrong area. I'll give this one a try, using manual, which will be a lot easier once I order the viewfinder.

This lens, the Panny 20/1.7 and 11-22 are going to make up my core kit, and from there I'll start adding 'fun lenses' ie old Zeiss etc. glass:)

I know the 11-22 is big and adapted, but I like the 2.8-4.0 max aperture, so it was the one that made most sense. I'd be willing to get the 14-35 but it's just way too big, defeats the purpose here...of a small kit...

To be honest my first "adapted" lens will quite possibly be the Canon 135/2.0L for compressed portraits. Eventually lol...