5 years from now.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Razer, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    5 years is a lifetime in terms of camera tech.

So what do you think we have from both Panasonic & Olympus in 2015
    in terms of bodies, sensors, features & lenses?.

Will either Canon, Nikon, Sony or maybe Samsung steal Panasonic or Olympus thunder with their version of this kind of camera 5 years from now?.

What about Pentax, Sigma, Fuji will these join the m4/3 format or go it alone?.

Will we see 3rd party lenses from the likes of Sigma or Tamron ect?

What about the budget line of DSLR's, will they continue or be replaced by this new format?

Let hear your thoughts on this.
  2. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Hopefully m43rds have been refined.... more shadow detail less noise etc....

Dslrs aren't going anywhere... even budget lines.... shadow detail is a big thing and these sensors suck at it.
  3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Near D3x performance from a 4/3rds sensor.

Global shutter.

HD video.

Remote comms, gps built in.

Probably some stuff we haven't even considered yet.

4. noodlehaus

noodlehaus Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2010
    I'm hoping that 5 years from now my photography skills and eyes have improved significantly :) Oh and that the tech has also improved significantly. Especially the adaptor Olympus is trying to come up with, that will give us the 1x crop factor.
  5. willo

willo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2010
    Imagine what D5/6 would be like in terms of performance.
  6. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Very good point... where would they go, to maintain a justification for the bulk and cost?

7. willo

willo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2010
    I have no idea, but 5 years is a long time in the Camera world. First it was all about megapixels until most people realised 12mp is more than enough (no one told Sony or Canon though). Now its high ISO which is very useful, but I think we will get to the point where we reach a limit on that.

I think size will be the next big thing and I bet you Nikon and Canon have already completed their versions. But the big problem for both is do they stick with their existing lens mount?

Canon did change the mount when they went digital which didn’t go down well with customers. Nikon stayed with the F mount much to the delight of theirs.
    Now the problem is do they launch a new mount and risk alienating existing customers or use the existing mount which negates the point of small bodies?
  8. benoly

benoly Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2010
    California, USA
    willo, Canon won't go there. L lenses typically start at $1000 and go up from there. Too many people have too much moohla invested! Same for Nikon. That really leaves the door open for Oly/Pany. If the quality get even better whilw maintaining reasonable prices I definitly see a problem for the big boys sub-full frame market.
  9. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    amazing sensors that will take micro-shots and use them to compile natural looking hdr based on sectioning ev forget about multi point metering , we are gonna see mulit point 'exposure-ing" that will make the current dual shot solutions look like a cave painting. info no more blown out sky to get decent foreground exposure , shutter-less technology...goal to have sensor ev range equal the human eye

ricoh will have an aph c m mount module for its gxr stealing some thunder from m4\3 as a leica digital alternative .....nikon and canon and sony and pentax wil have mirror less machines following pannys olys and samsungs lead, someone will finally offer a compact kit zoom with f2.8 to 4 speed

someone will have sensor based autofocus like contax did years ago antishake technology and low light sensor sensitivity will increase an order of magnitude and the nouveau rangefinder form factor the the ep1 pioneered will be widely copied by everyone , so says my crystal balls, imho of course