5 day trip: Wilsons Promontory (Victoria, Australia)

Kosta

Mu-43 Veteran
So,

Last week I went to Wilsons Prom:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Which is the southern most point of the state of Victoria for those playing at home.

It is a beautiful National Park with lots of trails and a few smallish mountains you can hike up.

I took my e-pl1 along with the kit lens, the 9-18 mzuiko and the panasonic 20mm 1.7 (all I could fit in my bag really - and I think my girlfriend, as patient as she is, wouldn't have enjoyed additional lens changing!)

Anyway, reviewing the bucketload of snaps I made, I don't feel too happy with what I got, but I think I learned a few things about using filters, and how important it is to get the exposure right the first time - especially since i don't like to play around much in post-processing!

<iframe align="center" src="http://www.flickr.com/slideShow/index.gne?group_id=&user_id=50946580@N05&set_id=72157625834548609/with/5410330738&tags=WilsonsProm" frameBorder="0" width="600" height="600" scrolling="no"></iframe><br/><small>Created with <a href="http://www.admarket.se" title="Admarket.se">Admarket's</a> <a href="http://flickrslidr.com" title="flickrSLiDR">flickrSLiDR</a>.</small>

(the colours look a little funny in the slideshow but much truer in the gallery.)

Thanks for looking!

bilzmale

Mu-43 All-Pro
Kosta, Kosta, Kosta - "especially since i don't like to play around much in post-processing!"

These photos are just crying out for a quick levels adjustment to really "pop". I'll PM you.

RetroBoy

Mu-43 Regular
Terrific photo's of a beautiful spot.

Yes, some of them are lacking in contrast and need a curves adjustment to bring back the colours and make them more postcard like.

Enjoyed the gallery, thanks for posting.

Kosta

Mu-43 Veteran
I'll have another look tonight, but i'll turn the "optimise" setting off when uploading to flickr through iphoto. the colours look damp compared to what I was seeing in the iphoto raws.
The feedback is much appreciated guys :) I will take some time to learn how to make adjustments.

Gillymaru

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think you have made some wonderful shots Kosta. It is a place i have long wanted to visit and your photos just made that desire a little stronger.
Looked at the photos on my ipad and they don't look like they need too much more PP. :bravo-009:

joele

Mu-43 Regular
Did you stay inside or outside the prom itself??

I wonder if you get a day pass (driving in) whether you can stay after dark to do sunset shots???

We intend on going down in March... It has been a few years since I was last there, I had my e3 back then...

P.S. I think you did well, a couple of shots need some PP (for me, they lack punch, maybe low contrast) but others are fine...

Kosta

Mu-43 Veteran
I stayed just outside the prom - but it didn't cost to go in each day unless you were staying overnight or longer. You had to enter a ballot in order to camp at the prom for summer and I was a bit late for that. You could probably get some sunset/evening shots in before having to leave, and there are some nice places to stop at on the drive out from tidal river (the main point where most of the walks stem from).

I'll republish some of the photos with some adjustments (advice courtesy of Bill) to see the difference, but check the flickr gallery - that slideshow definitely compressed the images somewhat - they look decently different in my iphoto and flickr:S.

joele

Mu-43 Regular
ahhh OK thanks, yeah I have plenty of shots from there but have never managed to get any sunset shots in the prom itself..

I do miss olympus colours ;-)

Kosta

Mu-43 Veteran
great shots Joel.
where they on your e-3? what zoom were you using on that?
Hope you get to go down there again and see how beautiful that area is!

joele

Mu-43 Regular
great shots Joel.
Thanks, unfortunately I lost all the full size (and RAW) versions in the great hard drive crash of 2009...

where they on your e-3? what zoom were you using on that?
Yeah they were on the e-3, the first two are with the 12-60mm and the last one was with the 50-200mm.. I really hope Panasonic or Olympus release a couple of lenses as good as those two again.. I do currently have a 150/2 and am thinking I could get the adapter to use it on u4/3, although it will be slightly imbalanced on my g2 :rofl:

Hope you get to go down there again and see how beautiful that area is!
yeah I will, lovely spot.. I find it hard not to take similar kinds of shots every time I go there though.. Fortunately? considering I lost the large versions of all my shots down there I suppose that doesn't matter as much next time..

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom