1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

5 day trip: Wilsons Promontory (Victoria, Australia)

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Kosta, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    So,

Last week I went to Wilsons Prom:
    map-au.

Which is the southern most point of the state of Victoria for those playing at home.

[​IMG]

It is a beautiful National Park with lots of trails and a few smallish mountains you can hike up.

I took my e-pl1 along with the kit lens, the 9-18 mzuiko and the panasonic 20mm 1.7 (all I could fit in my bag really - and I think my girlfriend, as patient as she is, wouldn't have enjoyed additional lens changing!)

Anyway, reviewing the bucketload of snaps I made, I don't feel too happy with what I got, but I think I learned a few things about using filters, and how important it is to get the exposure right the first time - especially since i don't like to play around much in post-processing!

<iframe align="center" src="http://www.flickr.com/slideShow/index.gne?group_id=&user_id=50946580@N05&set_id=72157625834548609/with/5410330738&tags=WilsonsProm" frameBorder="0" width="600" height="600" scrolling="no"></iframe><br/><small>Created with <a href="http://www.admarket.se" title="Admarket.se">Admarket's</a> <a href="http://flickrslidr.com" title="flickrSLiDR">flickrSLiDR</a>.</small>

(the colours look a little funny in the slideshow but much truer in the gallery.)

Thanks for looking!

• Like Like x 6
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Kosta, Kosta, Kosta - "especially since i don't like to play around much in post-processing!"

These photos are just crying out for a quick levels adjustment to really "pop". I'll PM you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    One of my next grabs is a grad-ND filter; that's something I want to add, even if I try and reject it for most shots. Thanks for sharing, you picked some nice ones for the slideshow!

4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Oops - double post.

5. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Mu-43 Regular

Terrific photo's of a beautiful spot.

Yes, some of them are lacking in contrast and need a curves adjustment to bring back the colours and make them more postcard like.

Enjoyed the gallery, thanks for posting.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I agree with the opinions above - some wonderful shots in your set that would look superb with just a little PP (contrast, saturation, etc).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    I'll have another look tonight, but i'll turn the "optimise" setting off when uploading to flickr through iphoto. the colours look damp compared to what I was seeing in the iphoto raws.
    The feedback is much appreciated guys :) I will take some time to learn how to make adjustments.

8. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

I think you have made some wonderful shots Kosta. It is a place i have long wanted to visit and your photos just made that desire a little stronger.
    Looked at the photos on my ipad and they don't look like they need too much more PP. :bravo-009:

9. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Did you stay inside or outside the prom itself??

I wonder if you get a day pass (driving in) whether you can stay after dark to do sunset shots???

We intend on going down in March... It has been a few years since I was last there, I had my e3 back then...

P.S. I think you did well, a couple of shots need some PP (for me, they lack punch, maybe low contrast) but others are fine...

10. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    I stayed just outside the prom - but it didn't cost to go in each day unless you were staying overnight or longer. You had to enter a ballot in order to camp at the prom for summer and I was a bit late for that. You could probably get some sunset/evening shots in before having to leave, and there are some nice places to stop at on the drive out from tidal river (the main point where most of the walks stem from).

I'll republish some of the photos with some adjustments (advice courtesy of Bill) to see the difference, but check the flickr gallery - that slideshow definitely compressed the images somewhat - they look decently different in my iphoto and flickr:S.

11. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    ahhh OK thanks, yeah I have plenty of shots from there but have never managed to get any sunset shots in the prom itself..

I do miss olympus colours ;-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  12. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    great shots Joel.
    where they on your e-3? what zoom were you using on that?
    Hope you get to go down there again and see how beautiful that area is!

13. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks, unfortunately I lost all the full size (and RAW) versions in the great hard drive crash of 2009...

Yeah they were on the e-3, the first two are with the 12-60mm and the last one was with the 50-200mm.. I really hope Panasonic or Olympus release a couple of lenses as good as those two again.. I do currently have a 150/2 and am thinking I could get the adapter to use it on u4/3, although it will be slightly imbalanced on my g2 :rofl:

yeah I will, lovely spot.. I find it hard not to take similar kinds of shots every time I go there though.. Fortunately? considering I lost the large versions of all my shots down there I suppose that doesn't matter as much next time..