1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

5 Companies Join Micro Four Thirds

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Olympus has announced that Blackmagic Design Pty. Ltd., JK Imaging Ltd., PHOTRON LIMITED, SVS-VISTEK GmbH and ViewPLUS Inc. are joining the Micro Four Thirds System Standard Group (press release).

JK Imaging plans to introduce a Kodak-branded Micro 4/3 camera (DPR article), while Blackmagic and ViewPLUS both make video cameras.

[via 1001 Noisy Cameras]

• Like Like x 6
  2. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Awesome, more power to micro four thirds :smile:.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Excellent!

4. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    nice

5. recasper

recasper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    Alameda, California
    Big thumbs up to the ever expanding m43 universe.

6. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    More lenses please!

7. Omega

Omega Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    Hopefully this means cheaper lenses, and maybe even a MFT camcorder that isn't $3,000.

8. romzL

romzL Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    romz
    great for all of us!

9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Good news but not great. We already knew about Blackmagic, great video camera if you are doing video production. Several of the companies listed make industrial video cameras and unless you own a factory or need high end security cameras offer nothing for the general user. JK/Kodak is the only one that will have products aimed at the consumer market. I doubt I will care about their cameras but interested to see what lenses they come up with.

10. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I think you are looking at a smaller picture. The importance of the move is that the :43: ecosystem gets into other markets and not only the photo enthusiast. The new companies except for JK/Kodak are bringing new type of customers with a need for new lenses. The high end video companies will require some fast lenses, this will probably help to bring more fast lenses for :43:.

• Like Like x 2
  11. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    +1

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

• Like Like x 1
  12. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Insert telephoto in there! But it would be great to have more lens competition all the way around.

• Like Like x 1
  13. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    :thumbup:

Products like the BMCC, and other, will finally persuade more lens manufacturers to invest in :43: more aggressively. I'm thinking Sigma and Tamron for starters. It's easy to see that an independant manufacturer should prefer an open standard, such as :43: or the NEX, instead of a proprietary and constantly changing standard, like EOS or FX/DX. That way they can inovate instead of always trying to reverse engineer Canon's and Nikon's lenses.

The only thing needed is market critical mass and this is a good indication of :43: reaching it very soon.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    BlackMagic is a competitor of the company I work for.(Video Routing).

15. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 - Good stuff! :smile:

16. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Agreed! I'd like to see a 100/2, 150/2.8, or a 50-200/2.8-3.5 like the ZD4/3 version.

17. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yup, c-mount for enthusiasts is mostly leavings from security camera and machine vision stuff. Tough to find many options in the 1" format but 1/3"-1/4" format has many - not much use outside of that specific market. I'd hate to see those forces push around the MFT too much in funky directions.

Used to do pretty good business using ~1000 lenses a year but when 10,000 a month is going into machine vision the market forces are impossible to buck.

18. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I guess the interesting thing here is the fact that, the moment, for example, Sigma announces 3-4 new :43: lenses (primes/zooms), both Tamron and Tokina will jump in the fastest they can. This could mean a total of >10 new lenses for the system, all AF and probably covering a number of holes in the current selection.

IMHO, this would be the point of critical mass for considering the system a market leader, esp. considering a possible timing for this: by the end of 2013 (hopefully). By then:

• Olympus' pro body will be out
    • At least one more (probably more) Oly higher-end cameras will be available
    • Panasonic's GF, GX and G series cameras will be updated. Both the Pannys and Olys would arguably offer at least the same level of IQ as the OM-D today (most models, at least)
    • The Metabones adaptor will be out and tested on the field
    • Already announced lenses from Panasonic and Schneider will be around the corner
    • Cheap(er) Kodak branded cameras will help with entry-level and compact camera market

And that's from what we already know today. Whatever comes from the "video guys" is an uknown quantity but, if BMCC is any indication, DSLRs will have a touch cookie in their hands (just watch the Vimeo comparison between the BMCC and the 5DMk3 for a very vivid presentation of that...).

I just remember exactly one year ago, when :43: was in fact a striving system, with practically only size/weight, style, a handful of good lenses and a hacked video-capable camera as its selling advantages.

19. jeffdeponte

jeffdeponte New to Mu-43

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm one of those eager for a fast, telephoto prime. At first, my wish was for a Panny 100mm f2.0. I'd probably be happy with a 90mm f2.0. Either way, I need a tele prime!

20. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    We all talked just about lens aspect of the announcement. There is another point, those high quality companies need a sensor in their bodies. Is there a new sensor that supports their needs in the work. It might be that they all use a video tweaked Sony sensor. This sensor in a time will show itself in consumer cameras. The two options are very promising a tweaked Sony will enable Olympus to introduce a GH3 competitor and a new sensor producer will enable more companies to join the :43: wagon.