1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

5-Axis IBIS + video...does it work with non-native, older, MF lenses???

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by fooddude, May 22, 2012.

1. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    I still haven't found a definitive answer. I've tried searching different forums, dpreview and also reading comments on YT and Vimeo as well, with conflicting answers.

I am a video shooter, as well as still images. But, I am mainly interested in this camera for using it's magical, miraculous and revolutionary IBIS during video-mode (as no other hdslr has this), where it is very much welcome....but, with some nice, vintage, MF lenses.

However, I did read, here and there, that it may not work on video mode with non-native lenses (like old vintage, MF Canon, Nikkor, old OM, Leica, etc. lenses). But these threads are about 2-3 weeks old and not brought up anymore; so I think the following may have solved this issue..? .

After a little more research, and reading 1 dpreview thread, and a few video comments, I read you just need to go into the menu and manually input the correct focal length setting, so that IBIS still works with non-native MF lenses (this is also stated in the pdf manual). Is this all that's needed (inputting the fov in the settings?)? Or, does it still not work fully, even after entering the focal length settings?

Can anyone confirm?

I am sure a big chunk of the OMD population, and people interested in an OMD, primarily use older MF lenses and are also video-heads, that very much want this IBIS to fully work in video mode with their beloved MF lenses.

2. Brownian

Brownian Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Ireland
    The IBIS does not work with MF legacy lenses when used for video. Works a treat for stills, but not video. The inputing of the focal length is only so the IBIS works properly with adapted lenses for stills.

Works very nicely with the 12-50 kit lens though.

3. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    Hmm...

I may have to get either the Dandelion chip.. or just play it safe and just get the 45/1.8 (I'm primarily an MF prime user..but the 45 looks tempting :)) ...decisions decisions ...but for sure, me want the IBIS in Video-mode though! :biggrin:

Hopefully a firmware fix will solve this asap.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JewAEtqXl34&list=FLwjfC0NdOro1u8GTjm8o5nA&feature=mh_lolz"]Olympus E-M5: Dandelion chip enables IBIS in video mode for legacy lenses - YouTube[/ame]

4. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    If anyone ever has future/new info on firmware updates or fixes to this, please post it here First! :)

Also, if the Dandelion chip get updated with a new version that's fully compatible and bug-free with the OMD, or new chips post-OMD release, please post it here first too (as it seems, a very few people have tried out Dandelion's old/current chips, with IBIS working with MF/Legacy/vintage lenses, but half-ass with many bugs that make their camera bug-out).

Thanks,
    ~MF Lens User (and really trying to avoid having to switch to the newer m43 AF lenses, lol)

5. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    Here's the dpr thread on the Dandelion chip:
    E-M5: Dandelion chip enables IBIS in video mode for legacy lenses: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I am very surprised not many are complaining about this. I guess many use newer, modern AF lenses and/or don't shoot video much.

But I am sure there are a lot of users too, whom only use old, nice, non-native, MF glass and also shoot lots of video...that want this IBIS in Video to work.

Don't people in here love legacy glass, old nikon/canon glass, leica glass, rf glass, vc glass, old zeiss glass, old russian glass, m39 and m42 and ctv glass???? ...and want the IBIS in video to work with their beautiful glass???

Anyone else with me???

We need to start complaining, like yesterday, and I am sure Olympus will listen!! We need a Firmware fix ASAP, PRONTO! :)

6. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I assume it's something that can be fixed via firmware update (I hope anyway)- with something like entering in the FL with still shots in the IBIS, so it knows the FL.

The use of legacy lenses though- is one of those things that Olympus doesn't seem to acknowledge all that much (unless it's the OM adapter), but there's great interest in by users. It's the reason (one of anyway) that I came to ยต4/3 to begin with, you can put pretty much ANYTHING on it. Hope it gets fixed.

7. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    Yeah... m4/3, nex, etc..are great because you can put any lens on it with the right adapter.

This thread needs to be bumped everyday so Olympus will get the message ;)

8. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    Dear Olympus,

We need a firmware update please for IBIS to work in Video-Mode with Adapted/Legacy/Non-Native lenses.

9. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    Bump...

...any updates with FW, or known fixes yet?

Any updates with any 3rd party af confirmation chips that are compatible with the OMD yet? Has Dandelion updated or made their chip compatible yet?

10. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
  11. Redridge

Redridge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2012
    just checked the support site.... no updates.

got my OMD couple of days ago... adapted lens mounted, IBIS does not work in video mode but works for taking pics.... you'd think its only a firmware update. I guess they want you to buy their lenses.

12. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    Maybe...but this would detract body sales at the same time for all the MF lens users. And, bodies cost 2-3 times more than the native lenses. Lastly, for those that use MF lenses, we wouldn't even buy the native lenses, since you'd need a body firstly, which can even be a stepping stone to their native lenses for MF lens users..but only if we got the body first. My body is coming to me next week and is being shipped out.

13. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Hey, thanks for the link! I also sent a message and requested similar things ( + removal of the blackout after taking the shots using the VF).

14. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
  15. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    Here is an update to the Dandelion chip (a convo between me and another person, from another forum):

"
    "Well I had a conversation via email with the guy Viktor (most likely Viktor Lushnikov the developer of the chip) from Russian site filmprocess.
    He is a man of little words, bu I think he understood me OK.
    He stated that it should work fine. It works very well on his E-P2.
    He also said he is not planing on getting the E-M5 cause it is very expensive in Russia and he cant get one of testing. If would send him the body he could test and correct the error if there is one. (not gonna happen, I love it to much, and shipping from Croatia to Russia must be killer)
    I asked if he could test it on any newer Olympus camera cause maybe the new ones are different somehow. Hi didn't answer that. :-/
    He went on to imply that I possibly did something wrong. But since it looks to me I mounted the chip flawlessly it makes no sense for me to try and mount it again.
    I will order another copy and try again. maybe this one was bad somehow...
    I am grateful for his answers, but unfortunately they don't help much to resolve this.
    -- show signature --"

Ya, he just replied back to my email and told me similar things - they are very expensive and rare in russia. And, that the best/simplest way to correct/fix/update this, is if I/someone sent him over an OM-D body and he said it wouldn't take too long. But, I am obviously a bit hesitant to do so, since my OM-D is finally coming in this week and of course I would be too excited to just send over my brand-new-camera I am prolly going to instantly love and have been anticipating and waiting to finally get, hehe ;)

I know many might feel the same way, hesitant to send over and lend their beautiful OMD... but maybe there's someone out there that's willing to lend him an OMD for a little bit. Most likely not me though, as this is my only, singe camera in my possession....perhaps someone whom owns multiple/many cameras, collectors or a photo/camera-blog writer, like Huff or something?

So...if there's someone out there, here, that is willing to lend him your camera, so he can fix the Dandelion chip and update it and make it compatible with the OM-D, please email him:

info@filmprocess.ru (Viktor)

..whomever lends him your OM-D, will be a hero amongst us and we all would owe you a humongous debt of gratitude....probably hundreds, if not thousands, of OM-D users for time to come.""

Edit: Viktor said he could have it done very quickly and send back the body in 1-2 days after he receives it. I may just send over my own body..unsure yet, but thinking about it ;)

16. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012

Bump...if you haven't emailed/messaged Olympus yet... please, don't forget to do so now :)

17. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    Weekend bump... don't forget to email/message Olympus and request for IBIS in Video-Mode with Old Non-Native Adapted Lenses :)

18. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
  19. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    I think we are going to be forced to buy these modern, but crappy, clutch-focus, plastic, lightweight, flimsy, overpriced, expensive, native lenses, if we want Video-IBIS :(

Olympus = FAIL!!!

:/

20. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Spam Olympus Support not here... you are barking up the wrong tree.