5 axis IBIS and exposure bracketing = hand-held HDR!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tonyjuliano, May 21, 2012.

1. tonyjuliano

tonyjuliano Mu-43 Regular

I'm not a huge fan of most HDR imagery, but to each his own.

I do, however use it myself, albeit infrequently, it a VERY subtle manner - in order to get some look of increased dynamic range.

It's always a been a bit if a pain, though, as I hardly ever bring along a tripod when I go out shooting.

This is where the E-M5 is truly ground breaking for me. Making use of the incredible 5 axis IBIS and astounding 9 FPS, I'm able to grab 5 bracketed exposures HAND-HELD!

Then, all that needs to be done is use the great functionality of NIK software's HDR EfexPro, and - quick as a whistle - great images.

Here's how you do it...

1. Set your E-M5 up in Aperture Priority
    2. Set your drive mode to high-speed sequential, 9 FPS
    3. Set AE bracketing to what you like for HDR eg. 5 frames at 1EV difference
    4. Set single AF and IS1 on
    5. Make sure Drive + IS = Off
    Focus on your desired subject and mash the shutter release, then bring the resultant 5 images into the HDR software of your choosing and voila!

• Like Like x 4
  2. 2ndLight

2ndLight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Robert
    Yes, I've been doing the same thing since getting the OMD. 9fps + IS is nice.

3. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    It's ironic that bracketing has been much improved by the 9fps on the same camera that has much more DR and doesn't need bracketing quite so much. :)

Just make sure you don't do art filter bracketing in 9fps. I got >80 JPEGs from a second of shooting yesterday when I was playing around with it. It must have taken two full minutes to write!

4. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Don't forgrt No 5. 'Drive IS + OFF'.....set to 'off'.

5. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    It's even quicker if you put all those settings into a myset and map it to a Fn button, then you don't have to do any menu diving if you see an HDR opportunity, just hold the Fn until you've pushed the shutter halfway and go. I don't normally shoot 9fps, so having the myset saves me having to set the bracketing and the drive mode.

• Like Like x 2
  6. tonyjuliano

Oversight on my part, thanks for this.

7. tonyjuliano

Yep, I have all this assigned to "myset3"

• Like Like x 1
  8. rkelac

rkelac Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2011
    Couple questions:

What does Drive IS + Off do?

I thought that with any frame rate higher than 3.5, IS is only on for the first shot. Is this correct?

9. tonyjuliano

It keeps IS functional during sequential shooting, and while it does reduce the frame rate attainable (to something akin to 5 fps), it's still functional in this mode.

10. Adstars

Adstars Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2012
    OK, got the OMD a few weeks ago and thought I would have a go at this hand held HDR (not a fan of HDR),wanted to see if the IS could cope with the my shaking hands.

[​IMG]

not bad,

• Like Like x 1
  11. Luger718

Luger718 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86ND5X8SjSQ&feature=c4-overview&list=UUppifd6qgT-5akRcNXeL2rw"]heres a video of the e-m1 where they show HDR being done hand held[/ame]

12. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    ^^looks like it worked pretty darn good to me! Nice shot...

13. mpg01

mpg01 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    Well I'll be. Thanks for the technique tip.

capture-20130912-213652.

Attached Files:

14. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Why not just shoot at EV 0, and use LR make -1, -2, +1, +2 copy? no ghost what so ever.

15. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    If you have no details in the shadows and/or highlights are blown, no program can "recover" them.

• Like Like x 1
  16. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    You can do that, but really that's just tone mapping. I've done that when there is motion, like on a windy day. With multiple images captured you get a larger dynamic range (as opposed to just the dynamic range of the single image), less noise, and more detail in some areas of the shot like highlight areas (clouds, white) and shadows.

Both methods are valuable, but multiple captures definitely has it's place.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Thanks for explanation, what am I thinking? Lol!

18. DWhite

DWhite Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2013
    David
    I've also got those set up as MySets. MySet2 is for handheld HDR and MySet3 is for tripod-based HDR.

Unfortunately however, "Drive + IS Off" is a global setting and isn't stored in any of the MySets. So if you want to switch that one, you've got to do it in the Gear-C menu each and every time.

19. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Here's one I shot yesterday, handheld. The waves don't bother me too much.

P9120008.

• Like Like x 3
  20. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    So turning it off actually turns it on? Oh yea I'm thinking of my E-M5 so that makes sense. :thumbup: