1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

4th Mu-43 Salon Competition - Traditions

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by AZK9lover, Apr 10, 2012.

1. AZK9lover

AZK9lover Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2010
    AZ, USA
    Stan
    Greetings Mu-43.com shooters and welcome to the fourth installment of the bi-weekly salon!

Inspired by some recent holidays, I have selected Traditions as the theme for this salon. Wikipedia has a succinct definition of this word that still allows for broad interpretation: A tradition is a ritual, belief or object passed down within a society, still maintained in the present, with origins in the past.
    As encouraged with prior salons, please feel free to be creative, as serious or whimsical as desired, and above all, let's continue to have fun sharing our images!

:drinks:

Now for the Rules:

1. Either take a picture that matches the nominated theme or select one from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the picture in order to enter it.

2. Upload your entry to your Mu-43 user gallery (all entries must be present in a Mu-43 gallery), which you automatically get if you are registered on the Mu-43 forum, so if you aren`t registered you will need to if you would like to join the fun.

3. To enter your photo after uploading, copy the code in the Linked Image box and paste it into a reply to to this message. You can use the Quick Reply box at the bottom of this page.

4. Only one entry per salon, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement picture that this is what you intend doing.

5. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photo challenge, after all!

6. The person who submitted the chosen picture will assume the responsibility of curator and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the Mu-43 Contests and Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. That opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.

7. The curator can't enter his or her own salon.

8. Please, don´t be shy...Participate and have fun.

9. Each salon should be open for about two weeks.

This competition will end at 11:59 PM on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 (UTC/GMC).

Happy shooting & sharing!

2. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    • Like Like x 3
  3. eltictac

eltictac Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    Looks like this theme could be proving more difficult! I haven't got any suitable photos that I've already taken. I might get a chance to take some at the weekend though. If I have any ideas!

• Like Like x 1
  4. AZK9lover

AZK9lover Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2010
    AZ, USA
    Stan

My apologies if this theme appears more difficult than I realized... when I came up with it, a number of ideas came to mind (though I will keep those to myself), and I've been impressed with the abundance of creativity among our fellow members' postings. It's still early, and I encourage all of you to continue to think broadly, yet not to overlook simple aspects of everyday life that may fit this theme!

I look forward to your posts! :thumbup:

5. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    We're not a very traditional bunch it seems... :redface:

• Like Like x 1
  6. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    I must admit the title and possible subject matter
    Has not floated my boat.
    Perhaps it's me just being lazy. Or, looking for something a little more exciting.

• Like Like x 1
  7. eltictac

eltictac Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    No need to apologise, it's good to challenge everyone! I bet for the previous competitions some people already had photos they could use because the themes were so broad. But maybe this time everyone will have to go and find something to photograph.

• Like Like x 1
  8. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    Eveytime the family gets together you can count on these being on the table :)

eggs.

• Like Like x 4
  9. danxk

danxk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 4, 2010
    Spain
    We traditionally linger over this...
    PA314635.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

The very traditional Royal Guard at Buckingham Palace in London...

P4081484-Edit.

• Like Like x 5
  11. AZK9lover

AZK9lover Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2010
    AZ, USA
    Stan
    I'm liking what I see so far!

I can appreciate all of the comments regarding the theme, and I will say that it appealed to me because of how culturally diverse we all are. Some of us live on opposite ends of the world and know very little of each others' lives (not necessarily of the individual, but of the culture and society). Things that we may consider mundane aspects of every day life may be so foreign and fascinating to another. That's what I find so exciting and intriguing about the concept of traditions, and I'm already seeing them come across with the posts so far.

So thanks again for sharing the posts so far, and please keep them coming!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Come on people, I see 66 members are online right now...:)! Surely you guys can come up with a great picture that shows tradition in it's many forms... family tradition, religious tradition, national tradition (I know there are a lot of different nationalities out there), or even just personal tradition... anything goes as long as it shows an interesting picture...!

• Like Like x 1
  13. pikestar

pikestar Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 8, 2012
    UK
    Agree. Like the angle you've taken the picture at too.

If I don't start the day with this ritual, the day doesn't start..

morningritual.

• Like Like x 5
  14. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

• Like Like x 4
  15. Tough topic! So many photos could be considered to show traditions, the difficulty is articulating that fact.

I've gone with...traditional headwear :smile:

E-PL1 + Lumix G 14-140mm f4-5.8 O.I.S.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Xin

Xin Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 15, 2012
    Kuala Lumpur
    Fireworks.JPG

Taken during hot air balloon festival last month.

• Like Like x 2
  17. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    4376565478_54221bc087_b.

--wikipedia

(Oh, and I remove myself from the competition, since I won a salon already, but I wanted to contribute to the pool anyway!)

• Like Like x 3
  18. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    What country is this from? It reminds me of my trip to Fiji, but it could probably be from any number of South Pacific cultures ...

19. Yes, the South Pacific. This image was taken in the Cook Islands.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Daily Facebook ritual with smoking tradition ....

• Like Like x 2