1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

4K Photo vs. 4K freeze frame from other cameras?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by SteveNunez, Mar 14, 2016.

1. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez

This minute
    Hey guys, I've been playing with the 4K Photo modes on the G7 and am enjoying it. In thinking about it, isn't the mode just a 4K video stream with high shutter speeds, or is something additional happening?

In thinking the mode is simply 4K video at high shutter speeds, can't we assume a Sony A7Rii would produce similar (if not better) stills if the video is setup with equally high shutter speeds?

also- while out in the field shooting 4K photo, I don't like having to choose stills to save and prefer doing this on the Mac, what is the easiest method for doing this?

2. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Not quite. With a "normal" 4K video camera you are shooting in a 16:9 aspect ratio with virtually no options.
    With 4K Photo:
    : You can select any of the available aspect ratios - 4:3 3:2 1:1 or 16:9
    : Any of the special modes such as B&W, Nostalgic and the others can be chosen
    : The frame can be extracted and saved in camera, or out of camera in Photoshop or LR
    : You have (3) 4K photo modes, one of which adds a 1 second buffer before and after the scene you are shooting.
    : You don't have any restriction on the time you can shoot, where cameras like the A7 are limited to 20 or 30 minutes.

3. jackalope

jackalope Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 8, 2016
    How did you discover this? You have to hold down the button to do 4k photo continuously so does that mean you held the button for 31 minutes?

4. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    I don't think the A7RII has a time restriction- and even if it does- I'm sure I wouldn't need 30 minutes to capture the freeze frame I'm trying to capture as I'm sure few people would use the G7 and shoot a 30 min clip to extract a frame(s).
    I'm just trying to rationalize dumping either the A7II and go for the RII version for the 4K and essentially get the same type of stills as the 4K Photo mode would capture or go whole hog and get killer stuff (lenses) for the G7.......but the IQ of the A7II is just so good- decisions~~~

5. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

4K photo has 3 modes.
    1. Press once to start, press again to stop
    2. Press and hold
    3. Buffer mode, it inserts 1 sec before and after automatically.
    Regarding A7 limitation, I overheard several people discussing it at Sony booth at recent WPPI show.

6. jackalope

jackalope Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 8, 2016
    Interesting... I'll have to look for that setting, I could have sworn there were only 2) and 3). And it can record for any length of time? That would mean if you use a clapboard you can sync audio from another device and get real video recording. Even at 4:3