4K Photo: how many of you are using this function?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Mat - MirrorLessons, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Yes, I find it very useful.

40.0%
  2. Sometimes but I don't rely on it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No because the IQ is not enough.

10.0%
  4. No because it doesn't interest me.

50.0%
  1. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mat - MirrorLessons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    Panasonic seems to be pushing the 4k photo concept more and more. At the UK Photoshow they gave me a book with lots of pictures exclusively taken with that specific function (so 8mp stills extracted from 4k footage). I admit that many of these images worked fine even when printed on a 20x20cm book. On some of them you can detect some JPG compression and with others you can see less dynamic range (blown highlights) but overall I found the results not bad at all.

IMG_1513.JPG
    IMG_1514.JPG

Yesterday, I had the pleasure to publish an interview with photographer Tara Tanaka who uses the GH4 and a Swaroswki Optic scope to capture wildlife, especially birds. She shoots video as well and also uses the 4k Photo option (the two rabbits kissing each other is a nice example).

http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2015/0...ki-optik-scope-an-interview-with-tara-tanaka/

The new G7 has an interesting 4K burst mode on the top dial to make the process even easier. So I was wondering how many panasonic users use the 4k photo option (available with GH4, LX100, G7).

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think it makes more sense when getting the moment matters more than anything else. If you're happy shooting JPEG especially, it makes sense. If you're always shooting RAW and need the dynamic range, etc, though...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ccasey

Ccasey Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Chris
    I wish Olympus would add this to their bodies (especially my E-M1 via firmware, in case anyone is listening), and I would certainly make use of it if it were available to me. I have no interest in 4k video. This, along with DFD, is what has me very interested in a G7 / GH4.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    ... why 4k video .... 8k video is just around the corner ...

5. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    8k will come for sure, but for now we have 4k ;)

6. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Will be a fair while before 8k displays are common place in homes.

Had a conversation with a Canon friend about my interest in the A7s - "Don't do it man, its only 12MP, you'll lose so much detail" - "But my 24" monitor is only HD, not even 4k.. I can't even display all of the 12MP". And then I look at the size of my 24" compared to a full page photo spread. 12MP is plenty. 4k photo's are fine too - especially if you could get them in raw.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    .... 8k prototypes are already out there ....

8. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

4K photo mode is a real game changer. Like many, I thought I'd never use it. Got hooked the first time I used it. Unlike regular 4K video, you can set the shutter speed of each frame and the aspect ratio. Amazing tool for photographing fast action sports or even portraits of kids who are always moving. You can go, frame by frame, and grab the exact moment in time that makes the shot you want. Some may argue that 8MP is not enough - I have gorgeous 20x30 print I made from such a capture. Photo market is definitely changing - more work no going to social media, tablets and web content. Printing companies are feeling the squeeze!

• Like Like x 1
  9. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    Because an 8K video requires a 32MP sensor and we don't have that, or in fact anywhere near it for one shot on M43..... ;) That's why the guy trying to tell everyone the GH5 will be 8K video is somewhat dreaming.

10. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    I saw some very nice prints as well. The only limit I found is with JPG compression that can sometimes be present and slightly less dynamic range.

11. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Image extraction from 4K is one of the features that pushed me to get the G7. Exact timing for somethings is total pain. Now I have the option to shoot 30 fps or 6 fps (medium burst). I've only done one test that can compare the two. I'm still not sure how well focus tracking works in 4k mode.

4k extraction
    P1000149-Edit-XL.
    6 fps RAW.
    P1000114-XL.

I am pleased with how the camera tracked the sprint in the finishing chute. Of course for web resolution this is not a challenge for 4K. I have more testing to do that pushes it (higher ISO, etc) to understand where it is a bad choice.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wasabi Bob

For those of you new to using 4K Photo, I found that shooting in Shutter Priority is something few consider. Depending on the subject, kick up the shutter speed to 1/500 or even faster. That really eliminates any potential motion blur. This weekend I attended a children's birthday party that also had a hired professional photographer. We shot many of the same subjects. During the party we compared shots and he just could not figure out how I was nailing the shots with such great facial expressions, so often. After the party I demonstrated 4K Photo mode and he was totally blown away. It's a game changer!

• Like Like x 1
  13. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    was this inside or out? If inside what ISO were you shooting at? 1/500 without lights can be challenging indoors.

14. Wasabi Bob

Indoors, with ample daylight through the windows. ISO 1600 using my 12-35 F2.8 Absolutely no problem at all. For reasons I can't explain, even when I shoot at much higher ISO's the 4K captures look fine. Besides, DxO can clean up any noise and most photos these days go straight to social media so noise for me is really no longer a concern.

15. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    Thanks - just wondered since I had a couple of people asking me for 8x10s and one for an A2 print and I'd thought about 4K photo but not yet played with it at higher ISOs. I'll give it a go.

16. Wasabi Bob

Not a problem. I have a 16 x 20 on my wall that I've received several compliments on. An 8MP still taken with a good lens should serve most people's needs. If you start cropping it gets tricky. he other nice thing is that you can shoot in any aspect ratio, not just 16:9 that video would normally be shot in. Shutter priority is your friend - don't be afraid to use higher speeds to capture sharp images.