1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

4K monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tkbslc, Apr 28, 2016.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Can anyone recommend a solid 4K monitor primarily for photo editing? 27" or larger and I probably can't go over about $800. I guess by default I'm looking at this DELL: Dell 27 Ultra HD 4K Monitor - P2715Q

I went back and forth on the Imac 5K, but the storage options give me the blues and it's not really anymore powerful hardware than my 4 year old PC tower. I guess I'll have to settle for 4K.

I currently have a decent 1080p 27" IPS. The color and contrast are nice, but the pixels are pretty big at 1080p and 27". It's only 80DPI. Not sure if going to 1440p is worth it at this point.

2. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I went from a 24" 1080p (Apple Cinema HD Display) to a Dell U2713H 1440. It was a refurb so I was able to get an IPS wide gamut for pretty cheap. Big step up. No more eye fatigue.

I chose 1440 wide gamut over 4k with a narrower gamut. I switch back and forth between Adobe RGB and sRGB (for when I'm doing stuff that will live on the web) and the difference is very noticeable. I'm happy with my choice.

When I upgrade several years from now I'll go 4k or 5k, 30", and a curved display because even now the corners of the 27" feel far away.

3. tkbslc

Perhaps this is silly, but it seems like it would be hard to edit distortion in photos on a curved monitor? Is the line curved or is my monitor! :)

I wish I would have gone 1440 to start, but going from 80 to 100 dpi now doesn't seem like a huge jump.

4. MJL

MJL Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2016
    Katikati, New Zealand
    Marinus
    I've had several different Dell ultrasharp monitors (24, 25 and 27") and I've grown fond of the U2515H. At my age the 27" caused too much up-down movement and made my neck hurt after a while (months rather than days), it took me a long time to pin it down. The U2515H is 2560x1440 and I could not notice any difference in color between the U2713H and the U2515H but the pixel size is just tiny bit smaller as to notice the pixel on the U2713H and not on the U2515H. The latter is less than half the price of the larger screen. Win-win in my case.

5. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    The Benq 32 is excellent and reasonably priced. Highly recommended.

6. tkbslc

Tempting. Just a little over my budget but maybe I can wait for a price drop. They do have a 27" for 2/3 the price.

7. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    do you have a video card ready to drive a 4K monitor without affecting your machine's performance too much? if you don't have a high-end video card and one isn't in the budget, I'd stick to 3440x1440.

8. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    I think I paid $600 for a refurb. Got it from an eBay seller. All was perfect with no problems. I thought if you were considering the Apple 5k, anything else would be cheap in comparison :)

9. tkbslc

Well the iMac comes with a free computer built in and has absurdly high resale value! Plus my wife would let me get away with it because she thinks it's "pretty". :blush:

I wanted to leave some budget left so I can upgrade my system this year, too. Kind of waiting to see what AMD Zen does.

10. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    About a month ago I got a Dell 27 inch 1440p, u2715h. Everything seems a good ratio at that point--4k might be too small (though I went back and forth about this in my head several times). I was also worried about needing to upgrade graphics card to get a 4K monitor to work. I found a discount and found what I thought was a pretty good deal at about $430.

11. plamski

plamski Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2015
    FL
    Plamen
    Hi.
    I just bought Dell 27 Ultra HD 4K Monitor - P2715Q. It is a great monitor with unbeatable price.
    My PC is with i5 processor and 960 video card. It work like a charm for pictures.For 4K video and rendering you will need i7 and 2 x970 video cards.
    My other monitor is Dell 34" 21x9 monitor. Can't say which one is better
    With 4k you will need to use 2x magnification for the icons ,coze they are way to small to be comfortable to be used.

12. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Here's a short video I made about AdobeRGB and sRGB