48 Hour Post-Processing Challenge #581 (closed, results posted)

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
As always, thanks to each of you for your entries. It's the participation and variety of the submissions that make these challenges enjoyable. I hope you enjoyed this tougher-than-usual contest.

For me, the major difficulty with this image was trying to bring out much useful detail in the deep shadows. There wasn't much chromatic content in the image anyway, and boosting the saturation of colors amplified the chroma noise into ugly green, red and purple blobs. The luminance noise was slightly easier, because I didn't feel the need to amplify it as much as the chroma. Of course, the easy solution for chroma noise is to go monochromatic, and I expected a number of B&W entries (and was not disappointed).

@BosseBe noted a preference for 72 hours (I think he meant generally rather than specifically for this challenge). Did anyone else feel time-constrained by 48 hours for a challenge of this difficulty?

I am going to talk briefly about a number of entries where I found something was distracting.
  • @Robert Davidson usually has stellar entries, so I was somewhat surprised by the extreme red-purple fringing in entry #1, which shifted to green in entry #2.
  • @rpatodia had some artifacts which looked like someone spilled tea on the negative (or maybe used an errant mask?). I wasn't sure if it was an intentional feature. Also, I guess I didn't understand the choice of the "horizon adjustment." OK, I know I said my challenge image would be crooked, but it wasn't that crooked.
  • Sorry, @Zeus1 , but the 4-pete of the center crop didn't move me.
The rest of the entries were all good. I didn't notice weird colors, so those of you who entered a color version were able to overcome the deficiencies of the source image. Most of the technical processing aspects seemed to be handled well, so I moved to making aesthetic choices. The winners are, in reverse order:

2nd Runner-up: @RichardC . I specifically liked the centered crop of your high-contrast azure-tint monochrome. The mood was dramatic and the balance was perfect.

1st Runner-up: @Rob Rider entry #1. I thought this was the best and cleanest of the full-color entries.

Winner: @Zeus1 entry #1. The quadtych didn't grab me, but this one did. This selective color version created a magical mood and hinted at a bigger story, of a couple trapped in a dark time, looking out at a possible brighter future. It was reminiscent of Dorothy exiting the door of her drab, sepia reality and entering into the munchkin village in the Land of Oz. Really interesting idea for this particular scene! Thanks!

Honorable mention to @BosseBe , @gwydionjhr and @Walter -- all very nice color entries. And to Bo, Rob, Walter and @Fred S for your nice B&W entries.

Back to you, @Zeus1 !

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
I took the challenge myself, to better appreciate the difficulties you faced.

Here are a color version and a closer-cropped B&W:

PPC581_01_1Aweb.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

PPC581_01_1BWweb.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

You'll notice that I did minimal clean-up of the grime on the clockface. I removed a few of the more egregious examples, but I felt the general grittiness added atmosphere to the scene. I spent the most effort trying to tease out the details on the young woman and her puffy, fur-collared coat. I don't think I did any better than others here.

Robert Davidson

Mu-43 All-Pro
As always, thanks to each of you for your entries. It's the participation and variety of the submissions that make these challenges enjoyable. I hope you enjoyed this tougher-than-usual contest.

For me, the major difficulty with this image was trying to bring out much useful detail in the deep shadows. There wasn't much chromatic content in the image anyway, and boosting the saturation of colors amplified the chroma noise into ugly green, red and purple blobs. The luminance noise was slightly easier, because I didn't feel the need to amplify it as much as the chroma. Of course, the easy solution for chroma noise is to go monochromatic, and I expected a number of B&W entries (and was not disappointed).

@BosseBe noted a preference for 72 hours (I think he meant generally rather than specifically for this challenge). Did anyone else feel time-constrained by 48 hours for a challenge of this difficulty?

I am going to talk briefly about a number of entries where I found something was distracting.
  • @Robert Davidson usually has stellar entries, so I was somewhat surprised by the extreme red-purple fringing in entry #1, which shifted to green in entry #2.
Thanks Lyle, yes my entries were rushed this time, not enough care and noticed the fringing after I had posted.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Thank you @WhidbeyLVR for the placing and for your thoughtful summary.

My view on timings is that a strict 48 hours could be tight dependent upon where on the planet you're situated, 48 hours plus 12 hours on top to compensate for time differences is plenty, 72 hours was sometimes stretching to four days. Perhaps compromise at a strict 60 or 72 hours? See what others think.

My late entry was down to me binning my first effort. I cleaned the clock face so well it ruined it!

Walter

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
For me going back to the 72 rhythm would be preferable, too.
But as I'm taking breaks in between just count my vote half. ;)

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
Agree with @RichardC about 72h with stretching can be to much.
48h feels tight some times, but I have always managed to get my pictures in so it works.
Maybe the 60h will be good.

Latest threads

Top Bottom