48-Hour Post Processing Challenge #567

GregRed

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Greg

Luminar 4 > Topaz Sharpen AI

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

GregRed

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Greg

Luminar 4 > Topaz Sharpen AI

Thai-Mike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Michael

Thai-Mike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Michael

betamax

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan
beautiful Spot Robert. Heres my attempt using LR for iPad.

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Entry #2: Applied ON1 Effects "Cool" followed by "Cool shadows" filters to entry #1.

_9280561_DxOdLL2_cool.jpg

Last edited:
... and I thought your white balance was off.... :whistling:
I still think the white balance is "off". RawTherapee reports that the camera had chosen a colour temperature of 4526K. As far as I know, such temperatures only occur around sunrise/sunset (and even then, you may want to stick to a 'normal' daylight colour temperature of around 5000K). The photo was taken at 9:56am in September, and sunrise was at 6:20am, so it was well past golden hour. So I cannot imagine 4526K was the "correct" white balance.

Of course, you can choose a cooler temperature for artistic reasons. You could turn any mountain range into Blue Mountains, if you wanted. There is no "correct" white balance. ;)

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
I still think the white balance is "off". RawTherapee reports that the camera had chosen a colour temperature of 4526K. As far as I know, such temperatures only occur around sunrise/sunset (and even then, you may want to stick to a 'normal' daylight colour temperature of around 5000K). The photo was taken at 9:56am in September, and sunrise was at 6:20am, so it was well past golden hour. So I cannot imagine 4526K was the "correct" white balance.

Of course, you can choose a cooler temperature for artistic reasons. You could turn any mountain range into Blue Mountains, if you wanted. There is no "correct" white balance. ;)
DxO PL3 reports the WB as 5059K for the Raw file.

OK I realise I'm going a bit overboard here, but I just installed Olympus Workspace on my work laptop (which runs Windows) to see what white balance it would report. It showed 5547K... Who am I supposed to trust now? 😭

I knew these Kelvin values are an approximation, but it did not expect such large differences. Always fun to learn new things. Sorry for hijacking your thread, @Robert Davidson. 😇

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
OK I realise I'm going a bit overboard here, but I just installed Olympus Workspace on my work laptop (which runs Windows) to see what white balance it would report. It showed 5547K... Who am I supposed to trust now? 😭

I knew these Kelvin values are an approximation, but it did not expect such large differences. Always fun to learn new things. Sorry for hijacking your thread, @Robert Davidson. 😇
Maybe we should start a new thread to explore how White Balance works?

Do you have to use an 18% greycard and manually white balance for accuracy? Or a white card? I never do but.... the camera meter looks at everything as an 18% greycard. We were taught to use an incident meter to measure light falling on the scene instead of reflecting light from the in camera meter.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
It is common to get a blue cast in landscape photographs. It’s to do with the interaction of light with water particles. The further away (therefore the more atmosphere between you and your background) the greater the effect. If your white balance is set to foreground, the background can appear bluer.

In this case, you’ve got a huge amount of rising warm moist air coming off the trees, plus as Robert describes, droplets of eucalyptus oil.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Do you have to use an 18% greycard and manually white balance for accuracy? Or a white card? I never do but.... the camera meter looks at everything as an 18% greycard. We were taught to use an incident meter to measure light falling on the scene instead of reflecting light from the in camera meter.
I still have an old Weston light meter that does reflective and incident light readings!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom