1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

48 hour GH3 "test drive" in the UK

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ajm80031, Feb 18, 2013.

1. ajm80031

ajm80031 Mu-43 Regular

dpreview is reporting that Panasonic UK has started a "try before you buy" program for the GH3 in the UK. Basically, it allows you to borrow a GH3 for 48 hours so you can get to know and actually use the camera before making a purchase decision. You can find the details at:

Panasonic UK launches a 'Try Before You Buy' service for DMC-GH3: Digital Photography Review

From the comments it looks like the number of retailers participating in the program is very limited (apparently none whatsoever in Scotland) so the number of people who can actually take advantage of this is probably pretty small. Still, if you're in the UK and trying to make up your mind about the GH3, you might want to look into it.

I'm in the U.S. and wishing there was something similar going on here.

2. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    i'm a little baffled as to why Panasonic would do this- this camera is a definite winner and would seem not to need a test to prove this.....unless they are trying to sway DSLR owners into this system!

What becomes of the cameras that are not purchased after the test?
    Lots of used GH3's to be had?

3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    That's a novel approach, I like it. Wish more manufacturers would do that!

I wonder if the purpose of this is partially to sway some people concerned about the size of the camera relative to other m4/3 by letting them actually experience it, and/or bring more DSLR users in by convincing them through usage. Proof is in the pudding, as they say. I think this clearly shows Panasonic thinks that they have a good product that can do the selling on its own merit, with enough exposure (no pun intended).

I doubt it will make much impact. It sounds like a limited program but even if it were common, how many people buy cameras only to return them a few days later anyway? Stores usually can't sell them again as new, so you end up with them on the used or refurb market (e.g. Amazon's Warehouse deals). If this offsets even a few of those buy-try-return cycles then it's a net win for the retailer anyway.

This is part of why I don't feel comfortable returning items unless I a) truly intended to purchase it and didn't get on with and b) it's in brand new condition. If I buy and return after 2 weeks and the retailer has to sell it at a discount as an open box item or whatever, that money is coming from somebody's margins somewhere. Personally I'd love to have more opportunities to try something risk free for a couple days to make a decision, rather than having to buy and resell or pay for a rental :smile: