1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

46mm Filters

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by zpierce, Nov 27, 2011.

1. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    Now that I have my trinity of 46mm primes (14mm, PL 25mm, PL 45mm), I'm looking for some quality filters. I'm noticing that this size is not very common and the choices are a bit scarce. I'm looking for some advice on what to get, or should I be considering a larger size with a step down? Since these are my best lenses that will get the most use, I want some decent filters, but not break the bank.

For polarizer, this looks like a good deal for a quality brand, anyone have any feedback on this one or a better option for the money? I can't find much info on it and am just going by the brand name more than anyhting. I have a Marumi for my 14-140 that I like, but can't find it in 46mm size.
    65-075273 B + W 46mm Top Linear Polarizer Coated Glass Filter

Where I'm struggling more is in a a good ND filter. I was really hoping for a decent variable one or something pretty dark, ND16 or more. All I could find were Polaroid and Fotasy options on Amazon, both had some pretty serious flaws in the customer reviews. Anyone know of a decent variable option, or where I could score something darker? I like doing the long shutter daylight photos of water, etc. Also I'd like to be able to shoot wide open during the day with these great lenses.

As always, any advice would be much appreciated!

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    46mm was used on Leica rangefinder lenses. It can be a common size, only if you're looking in the right markets. :) You did the right thing by going with B+W for the polarizer, as B+W makes a lot of good quality filters for the rangefinder sizes like 40.5mm and 46mm. I'm surprised you weren't able to find any ND filters from them though.

3. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

I second that. You cannot miss with B+W. Heliopan is also good, but not as widely available. In my opinion and experience, everything else I have tried is at least one step down.

Best regards,
    Tom

• Like Like x 1
  4. Stephen Geis

Stephen Geis Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Consider step-up / step-down rings ...

Although I have some dedicated 43mm and 46mm filters in good to mint condition that I've picked up browsing through the local camera store used bins, my solution for ND or other commonly used filters was to purchase step-up rings.

My 43mm to 46mm and 46mm to 52mm step up rings opened up a whole range of standard filters for use.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, step-up rings are awesome!

However, if you already have 3 lenses in the same size, then it would also make sense to step-up TO that size rather than from it. ;)