45mm vs. 75mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by MAubrey, Nov 6, 2012.

1. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Has anyone picked up the Olympus 75mm f/1.8 and then promptly sold their 45mm f/1.8 because they didn't use it any more?
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I sold my 45/1.8 to a friend in anticipation of buying the 75/1.8.

A little bit easier decision for me because I liked the 45/2.8 at that FoV. Now that I have had the 75/1.8, I am feeling good about it handling all my family portrait needs and I am having more fun with the 150mm FoV than I expected.

The time I think I could miss the 45/1.8, though, is on our next vacation. It is so small and light.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Thanks. That's really helpful!
  4. Nam-in-Sonoma

Nam-in-Sonoma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2012
    Penngrove, CA
    I still use both, because sometimes I just don't have enough room indoor to be able to shoot with the 75mm.
  5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I can honestly tell you that since getting the 75mm, I rarely use my 45mm anymore....:redface:

However, I'm not prepared to give up my 45mm...
  6. troutgeek

troutgeek Mu-43 Regular

Aug 15, 2012
    Madison, WI area.
    I don't think I can part with either of them, as both are such nice lenses. Indoors, I tend to use the 45, except for concert halls. Outdoors, I tend to use the 75. I have found exceptions for both, and need both focal lengths.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Same.. I have both. Don't think I would sell the 45, but I have been using the 75mm mostly right now.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Just picturing in my head that 150mm equivalent would be difficult to work with indoors at most places for me.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. sgoldswo

sgoldswo Mu-43 Regular

I have both and a comparison of both that I did on my blog made me realise my first copy of the 45 was a little soft. I've since acquired a second (sharp) copy. I think the 75 is sharper (and I love and prefer the results) but the 45 affords you more room to work in, especially indoors. You need a big room to use the 75.
  10. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    I just don't find this to be the case. Only super-small rooms don't work at all with the 75. Small rooms just mean you get very intimate photos, and that can be quite powerful. For instance, this was taken in a small room with the 75mm:

With the 45 I would have ended up with a bunch of clearly visible and distracting toys and other junk in the background. I much preferred the 75 in that situation, at least for straight portrait style shooting, which is what it is for anyway. For environmental portraits I would prefer something in the 14-20mm range indoors. I find focal lengths inbetween a little less useful for me most of the time. I can and do use the 45 as well, but I feel that if there is even vaguely enough room to use the 75, and there usually is, then it gives far better overall results.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Agree, the 75mm is a much longer lens than the 45mm. (FWIW, my copy of the 75mm is softer than my 45mm; am going to explore a return/exchange.)
  12. sgoldswo

sgoldswo Mu-43 Regular

13. toshiro

toshiro Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2012
    if you can afford it keep both, I did, very different focal lenghts and bot useful
  14. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    I don´t have the 75mm but I have the smc Takumar 1.8/85mm. While I love the takumar on film cameras and FF digital, with a m43 camera it´s a very odd focal to use.
    I guess I will skip the 75mm but I would like to have a m43 lens with such a image quality.
  15. Herby660

Herby660 New to Mu-43

Jan 18, 2013
    It's funny I had the same experience , I was a little underwhelmed with my 75mm, not sure if it was a quality issue but my 45mm was sharper I think and for the real life situations I might use the 75mm, I think the 45mm is more versatile for me.

I was in love with my 45mm when I got it and slightly deflated over image quality with 75mm. It was not as sharp as expected. YMMV
  16. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    One tends to use the more expensive lens to 'justify' the expense. They are equally good, different focal lengths.
  17. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    No one here has mentioned what the rest of their kit looks like, and I think that plays a big role. Take my situation as an example:

From may until December, I shot primarily with a two lens kit. I'd leave my house always with my G3, 20mm f1.7, and 45mm f1.8. Those two make a wonderful pairing. They are all you probably need, I'd say, especially if you tend shoot people rather than large/tight landscapes/architecture and wildlife. There is very little overlap in what these lenses do. On average I used them about the same, probably the 45mm a little bit more since I do a lot of portraits with my friends and feel very comfortable with the focal length(my first real lens was 50mm Canon FD lens on m4/3)

However, I recently purchased the 25mm f1.4, and now my 45mm is seeing muchhh less use. Although seemingly a small difference from the 20mm, the longer focal length and half-stop extra light gathering makes the 25mm a much more viable portrait lens than the pancake is, and indeed makes me feel like I don't have to pull out my 45mm f1.8 unless I'm sure it will make the shot better. In fact, while the 20mm f1.7 is not a portrait lens at all and generally will only produce flattering portraits with proper foresight, the 25mm is practically just as viable as the 45mm for most instances. More importantly, it means I spend a lot less time switching lenses.

In other words, they overlap more than I'd like.

So now I'm considering selling my 45 to fund the 75, so I can put more distance between my portrait lens and my normal. If I'm indoors and don't have enough space, I'll simply use the 25.

I'm sure plenty of people use the 25 and 45 concurrently with no qualms(and I mostly do!) but after being used to needing to pull out two lenses for different situations, I think I'd like more contrast between the uses of my lenses.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    ^^ Great analysis: 45 versus 75 really depends on other lenses in your kit. I'd probably do the same thing as you if I were in a position to buy the 75.
  19. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Good call. What we have already is a major factor. In my case, I have too much:

35mm (Voigtlander 35mm f/2.5 pancake)
    75mm (which I now have since I asked the question--bought at the end of November)

My problem is that I like each of them for specific reasons. The only one I'd seriously consider getting rid of is the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 since I have the 9-18mm for wide and the 25mm for low light normal, but its probably worth more to than anyone else with a scratched front element...

I'm still debating the 45mm viability. I haven't used it a whole lot since November, but its size...its more attractive for backpacking than then 75mm and backpacking season is coming, so I'm waiting to see...

This is my experience, too. On the rare occasions that I do indoor people pictures...I generally reach for the 25mm over the 45mm.
  20. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    90mm FOVE is often a little tight indoors, unless you're at the theater or something like that.