45mm Oly for macro?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Gyroscope, May 8, 2012.

1. Gyroscope

Gyroscope Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    SE London

My name is Gyroscope and I'm well known around these parts for asking dumb n00b questions.

I'm really pleased with the macro mode on the 12-50mm lens for the OM-D. I can jam the camera right up in the face of wristwatch (maybe 5cm away) and happily snap away with (to me) pleasing results. I've learned that the camera needs to be on a tripod, but that's the only caveat.

Yesterday I tried to use the 45mm prime for macro shots, and found that it refused to auto-focus anything closer than about a foot away, which is really too far away for what I'm attempting.

Is this something inherent in the lens, or am I being dumb with the settings on the camera? Does the 12-50mm do something clever when I snick it into macro mode?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    It's simply that the Oly 45/1.8 isn't a macro lens. There are trade-offs in constructing a macro lens, the first being that it won't boast as large a maximum aperture. For example, the Panasonic 45mm Macro has a max aperture of f/2.8 compared to the f/1.8 of the Oly, and is larger and heavier as well. The 12-50mm is unique in that it has a macro focusing feature but it is only available at one focal length (43mm). In normal operation without the macro function engaged it can't focus all that closely either.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Gyroscope

Gyroscope Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    SE London
    Ah, well that's a succinct explanation, thank you! I'd noticed the 12-50 locked at 43mm for macro, and so blindly assumed that the 45mm would do much the same job.
  4. jonh918

jonh918 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2012
    San francisco,ca
    the oly 45 f1.8 is acutally 90mm in 35mm format, but check out the oly 45 image thread....
    • Like Like x 1
  5. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Well, according to Olympus' four thirds site, that lens' closest focusing distance is half metres, while the max magnification is 0.11x (about 1:9). Too far from being a macro lens.

The 12-50 can focus to 20cm
    • Like Like x 1
  6. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Thom Hogan wrote that he uses the Olympus Macro adapter for the 45 1.8. Seems like it fits.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    I have used a Raynox 250 macro converter using my Oly 45mm. I attach it using a step up ring.
    Here is a photo using the Raynox 250 and with the incamera x4 digital zoom.
    It is a button on a TV remote contoller, the white bits are dust.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You have the 12-50mm, which has 1:3 macro. Stick with that for now whenever you need to shoot macro. That's why we have an interchangeable lens system, is so we can use the appropriate lens for the job. :)

If you find you need better macro magnification (which it doesn't sound like you do), then you can also get a legacy macro lens, which can be bought very cheap and offer great performance. They won't have autofocus, which is something you do not need or want for macro anyways.
  9. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    These may be if interest.........

If you shoud happen to have a 45-200 then Raynox 150 is an excellent and CHEAP way to macro.
  10. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    I always grab one of my legacy lenses and put it up to my 45mm backwards. Neat little trick and I can get some cool shots with it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Me, doing macro the wrong way (full aperture in the second shot) with the 45mm + mcon (the original macro converter). It screws perfectly in (uses the same lock of the hood) but sometimes i feel lazy and just hold it in front if my lenses.

Attached Files: