1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

45mm not registering on M10

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by David Stephen, Mar 16, 2016.

1. David Stephen

David Stephen New to Mu-43

Nov 24, 2015
    David Stephen
    I have an M10 and E-PL5 body and the Panasonic 14 f2.5 and 25mm f1.7 and Olympus 45mm f1.8 lens. Occasionally I would experience the 45mm not making connection with the M10 body. Removing the lens and reattaching would solve the problem. Lately it doesn't make the connection at all. No image will appear on the rear screen or viewfinder. The aperture displays -.-
    If I remove the lens and put it on the E-PL5 it works fine. If I put my other lenses on the M10 they work fine. Can anyone tell me which pin on body/lens controls aperture? Baffled by this problem. Anyone else experience similar problems.
    I like the E-PL5 with the pancake lens as a small carry anywhere camera but don't particularly like it paired with the 45mm.
    First posting and not really certain which forum discussion this would fall under hope I picked the right one

2. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    David, welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear that you are having this issue. It sounds like a contact issue to me. My 45mm is the stiffest of the lenses on E-M10 and needs a little extra force to get into position. Are you getting a click when you are done turning the lens to mount it? Alternatively, maybe you are going past the correct location?

One thing to try maybe to mount the lens with the camera switched on and see if/when the display shows up. I know that it is not recommended to switch lens when the camera is powered on, but I have never had any issues. Hope this helps.

3. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Right, make sure when you put lenses on your do NOT use the button on the body (you only need it to release lenses, not put them on). But I suspect this might not be it if it is only that one lens.

But I would check other lenses on the M10 body over and over and see if you can get the problem to repeat. I had an issue just like this on my E-M1 and ended up having to send it in for repair. At first it was only once in a while and I thought it was an issue with one lens. But then the problem got a bit worse and happened with other lenses as well. Eventually I couldn't get ANY "digital" (those that communicate with the body) lenses to work at all anymore and sent it in.

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I suspect the release pin is not returning properly into the locking hole on the lens. Check the lens at that point very closely (with a magnifying glass) & remove any burrs & also ensure nothing is in the hole, such as tiny metal shards etc & clean out if necessary & then you may experience better results.

5. David Stephen

Nov 24, 2015
    David Stephen
    Thank you for the responses. SVQuant I tried installing lens with body on, made no difference as the lens was tightened. Nothing changed. There seems to be a very small amount of play at the final position but looking at the lens I doubt it would be anywhere near the distance to go past the pins. That was what I thought might be happening. PakkyT I don't think I was depressing the body button while inserting a lens but never really thought about it until you made mention. Now it will be in my mind going forward. Ross the fiddler the pins are in the body that would extend and retract. I don't have a decent magnifying glass but I can't see any problem body side. The first lens contact appears to be worn to a greater degree than the others. This would make sense as all pins would slide across that contact every time a lens where installed or removed.
    I am new to the 4/3 world picking up the M10 used this winter. My 14 and 45mm primes were used as well and the 25mm was a B&H deal that I was lucky enough to have filled I guess. All the equipment was a very good deal to me so I can't feel too bad about having a problem. Just strange to me that so far anyway it only appears to be that lens on that body. Sadly for me that lens on the body with the evf was my favourite! A friend has a Panasonic GF3. I will try on that body to see if it works there. Just want to determine which is the culprit if possible.

6. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    David, trying on a third body seems like an excellent idea.

At the moment, it does seem like something in lens+body combination is not allowing the lens to be seated correctly while the other lenses seem to be withing the tolerance limit of the body. Some cleaning as Ross the Fiddler suggested is worth doing and may help with the problem.

Good luck with sorting this out.

7. JDS

JDS Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    I was getting intermittent contact with my 45 on my E-M10, cleaned the contacts with an electronic wipe and all has been good.

8. David Stephen

Nov 24, 2015
    David Stephen
    Didn't have anything specific to clean the contacts as a few suggested so took a pencil eraser and rubbed the contacts on the lens. With the contacts being outside a raised flange wasn't too worried about that. Held the body upside down and gently ran it over the raised pins on the body. Put the lens on the body and - nothing. Turned off removed and reinstalled lens maybe giving a little greater push as I am getting frustrated and voila contact established! I will go out and look for the electronic wipes JDS suggested as I am worried about getting anything on the sensor. Don't know if this will be short term fix or something that will require regular maintenance, just happy for the time being having use of the lens on this body. Again thank you for responses and suggestions.