1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

45mm lens hood question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SteveBeck, Aug 17, 2012.

1. SteveBeck

SteveBeck Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 26, 2012
    I recently bought a new 45mm 1.8 lens from my local store. I ordered a Olympus LH-40B hood from Adorama. I got the hood yesterday. I have to think either it is broke or I am missing something. I put the hood on and it just spins. There are no latches or anything for it to snap to on the lens. if you look down in the hood it is just sitting freely on top of the lens but shaping or anything, just spins and doesnt stay on.

Does anyone have a picture of the lens hood attached to the lens that shows how it actually attaches?

2. scarbrd

scarbrd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    Houston, TX
    You need to remove the outer ring around the front lens element. It unscrews from the body of the lens. That will expose the bayonet catches for the lens hood.

Took me a few minutes to figure it out, too. ;-)

Cheers

3. SteveBeck

SteveBeck Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 26, 2012
    WOW thats crazy! I was getting worried i got a used busted hood form Adorama. Thanks for your quick reply and help! it is on now. I was about to push as hard as i could to make it snap somehow!

4. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    And you will find out that it will continue spinning ;-) THEN you have to put something between the hood and the lens. Tape, rubber ring, something to stop it. Glue sounds a bit over reacting although it probably works best :biggrin:

5. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    I wonder... if it occurred them to just extend that little piece of plastic and actually include a hood bundled with the lens.

6. Reactions

Reactions Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Norcal
    Gabe
    Then Olympus couldn't overcharge people for hoods :)

I lost the lens cap and that replacement is $12 lol

I can see losing the ring. At least you can mount the hood on backwards so u don't lose it

7. scarbrd

scarbrd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    Houston, TX
    You're welcome! :thumbup:

8. Brent D. Wilson

Brent D. Wilson Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2010
    Maybe you can mount the hood on backwards. I can't get my hood to mount backwards. I just leave it on and clip in the lens cap. The hood is shallow enough that I can reach my fingers onto the lens cap.

9. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Odd...no problems reversing mine. :confused: