1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

45mm f/1.8 Lense tip for epm1 or p3 series

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by phatspirit, Jun 25, 2012.

1. phatspirit

phatspirit Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 14, 2012
    I have the lense on my epm1. For whatever reason, my best pictures are not close to those ones posted on this site with the same lense as far as clarity. I'm I missing something? Heres' my epm1 setting for portrait shooting:
    portrait mode
    sharpen -2
    turned off NR and NF
    center weight metering
    auto iso
    EV at 0 or standard
    IS off
    Shoot either RAW or jpeg depends on the occasion for PP if I feel I'll need it.
    Only thing I'm thinking that will help improve is a EVF, lense hood, and a polarizer on bright sunny days.

Photo Gods, advice for a lowly newbie?

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Pretty hard to say anything without samples. What exactly do you mean by clarity?

DH

3. Aaron Hvidston

Aaron Hvidston New to Mu-43

Oct 10, 2011
    You know the gear, now you gotta learn photography. Its a skill that comes with practice. I guarantee you will be better with practice and focus. Here is a great way to get practice. Participate in the photo contests on FroKnowsPhoto.com and dpreview.com or start one with the community here. The goal is to shoot and learn the creative side. You don't even have to post them but it will get you thinking critically about what you are shooting. I bet your pictures are well exposed and balanced correctly but they still lack the creative punch that comes with practice. If you fee comfortable, you can post some images on mu-43.com without fear of ridicule. This forum is very supportive.

• Like Like x 1
  4. phatspirit

phatspirit Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 14, 2012
    Here's one with my son. Its a sunny day. I believed it was shot with 1.8 f stop. Focus was on him. What I stated as clarity is in fact sharpness instead.

Attached Files:

5. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Try setting your noise reduction to Auto (leave Noise Filter off).

I (personally) wouldn't bother with the Potrait Mode. Set it to Program (or whatever you're comfortable using).

You could also try the various metering modes to see what works best in different lights.

Not a terrible photo by any means though...I think, as mentioned above, practice makes perfect!

6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    You won't be getting the best sharpness out of that lens at f1.8 (although it is sharper than many lenses wide open). On a sunny day there isn't much reason to shoot wide open unless what you are going for is a shallow depth of field. Try shooting at f4 or f5.6 and see what you think.

• Like Like x 1
  7. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    ..or 2.8-4.0, which is what lenstip's charts show as being the peak for resolution. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  8. phatspirit

phatspirit Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 14, 2012
    I usually shoot in Aperture Priority. I'll try Program mode but I do like setting my aperture manually. As for portrait mode, do you think natural mode is better? I've heard portrait mode is better for facial skin tone. I've read ppl said leave NR to off, some says to left it on auto. I've tried both and it makes no difference which is why I've set it off.

9. phatspirit

phatspirit Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 14, 2012
    I'll try that later and see if it helps. I do want to balance shallow DOF and sharpness. What do you think is a good setting for that on a sunny day and one on cloudy day?

10. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I only mentioned Program because I wasn't certain of your level of expertise...you'll have no advantage to shooting in Program if you're comfortable in A.

Portrait mode will only affect your photos if you're shooting JPEG's. If you're shooting raw, it doesn't matter anyway. If you are shooting JPEG's, I personally prefer "Natural" (3 I think) and apply any processing myself later if necessary.

• Like Like x 1
  11. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I think it is interesting to shoot the same subject in iAuto and in A or M or whatever and then compare what you get. See if you can out-think the camera.

I'd also try the same shot with and without IS.

12. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    With Noise Reduction set to auto it only kicks in when the exposure is longer than 1 or 2 seconds, I forget which. It then does a dark frame subtraction; a second equal length exposure with shutter closed. The noise generated in the second exposure is subtracted from the first. This type of noise is caused by heat generated during a long exposure and is roughly the same from one exposure to the next.

This very different from the Noise Filter which attempts to "blur out" the noise but not the detail.

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  13. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Well, at f1.8, you're not going to get a very large in-focus area. I'd start off at f/4.0 or f/5.6, and gradually open up the aperture over time as you get more comfortable with the lens. It's hard to tell for sure, but it looks to me that the focus may also be in front of your son (on the bench, not his head).

The composition is interesting, but I'd generally try to avoid cutting off feet or other limbs. The pole on the left is also a bit distracting.

Finally, while you didn't mention colors, I would add that harsh lighting, as in the middle of a bright sunny day, make things more difficult. Generally, it's easier to get pleasing colors when the sun is lower, or partly obscured.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  14. phatspirit

phatspirit Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 14, 2012
    Thanks for the tips. I'll try again later today when the family goes out for a biking and shoot at 5.6 and 4.0.