45mm and/or 75mm vs 14-54

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jonbrisbincreative, Sep 2, 2014.

1. jonbrisbincreative

jonbrisbincreative Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2014
    I know it's not a fair comparison but I'm curious if others that have the 45mm and/or the 75mm find that those are worth having in addition to a good zoom? I picked up a 14-54 from KEH and even though the AF isn't the fastest (it's at least comparable to the Fuji cameras!) I wonder if the reported "fast" AF of the 45 and/or 75 is so superior and the usefulness of the f1.8 outweighs the duplication of focal length?

I plan on using the zoom when I need flexibility. I have taken to using my E-M1 at football games by keeping it in the ThinkTank and whipping it out for wider shots of player interactions and when the action comes near the sidelines. The 25mm is fantastic for some things since it's not too wide but still gives great close-ups. But I need a little bit more reach generally and I'm thinking either the 45/1.8 or the 75/1.8 will help cover the shorter focal lengths I need given I use a prime tele for the main action shots. I'm just worried that having either or both of those would be unecessary duplication given the zoom covers the 45. The 75 I consider to be in another class by itself and don't compare it to the zoom but if I stick with just the 75 will that be sufficient or is the 45 also necessary?
  2. Medley

Medley Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2014
    I have, among other lenses, the 45/1.8 and also a Panasonic 14-45. While I love the 45mm, it's not versatile enough to have mounted as the default on my camera when I'm out and about. Of course, the wonderful thing about the 45 and 75 is the maximum aperture, and while it would be nice to always have that on tap, the 14-45 is just much more practical. I generally will also carry my 45 and switch to it when the shot warrants, but for general purpose use, the low powered zooms are much handier. I know you were asking about the 14-54, but the same would apply I would think.
  3. Dusky

Dusky Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2014
    I sold both of my 45mm and 75mm once I got the Sigma 60mm. I think it the 60mm perfect compromise in focal length since I find mg 75mm too long at times.
  4. kernalpanx

kernalpanx New to Mu-43

Jan 17, 2014
    I love the 45 mm ... Super fast crisp.
  5. craftysnapper

craftysnapper Mu-43 Regular

If you are a people photographer the 45mm and 75mm are indispensable I would not be without mine.Other genres less so but then I also have zooms as well.:)
  6. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa

well its not about a 'fair comparison' its more about what each does differently and how you want to use them.

To me the difference in background softness between a 45mm f5.6 and the 45mm f1.8 is substantial, heck even stopped down to 2.8 will render better softenss.

The difference between a 45 and a 70 is more about working distance (meaning you are further away from the subject) and narrowing the view of the background (so you see less of it).

For instance:

and then 70mm

here I tried to render the pipe and edge of the house about the same (and the strand of leaf in the middle of the frame)

I stepped back to keep the visual size of the thing I was photographing (the house edge) similar. You can see that you see less "width" of background and the rendering of the background is more diffuse.

I know this is not a perfect example, but its as close as I could get to answer your question. Actually these images are part of a comparison I did of the Pentax 110 legacy 50mm and 70mm lenses which I bought (for about $50 each). If I had infinite money I'd just buy the Olympus 45 f1.8 and the Oly 75mm f1.8 too (however I don't have infinite resources). As it is for the amount of use I give these lenses I really like the Pentax lenses. The 50 is super compact and the 70 is quite so too.

The 50 (on my G1)

and then on my GF1

stuck beside the 14mm pancake it shows its diminutive size

I like to carry it in the side pocket of my pack (and it weighs almost nothing) so that I have a 50mm in case I want a tele for something like this:

where getting in closer (with say, my 14mm) would not be as striking and would show waaaayyyy more background.

Then the 70 (on my GF1, but personally I prefer its handling on the SLR-ish body)

which works really nice for portraits of people :)

I like to keep my "compact camera" ... well ... compact.

best wishes
    • Like Like x 1
  7. toyanucci

toyanucci Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2014
    I found this comparison yesterday which you may find useful. It compares almost all olympus m43 primes. Close to the end he shows the field of view difference between the lenses by taking a phone with his camera on a tripod and swapping lenses to show what the field of view looks like with each.

I have the Panasonic 14 f2.5, the Olympus 25 f1.8 and the 45 f1.8 and am considering the 75. Thus comparison really helped me realise I may not necessarily neeeed the 75 and that it's mostly GAS induced lol. We'll see how long I can hold GAS off though. Lol.
  8. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    I have the 45 and 75...but since getting the 12-40, the 45 has seen very little love. the love is split three ways between the 12-40, 25 1.4 and 75. everynow and then I'll tickle the 7.5 when I want to go ultrawide or shoot skies.
  9. jonbrisbincreative

jonbrisbincreative Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2014
    I found a black 75 on KEH's website and snatched it up. It should be here any minute and I'll use it tonight at the football game. We'll see how that goes and I'll update here with my thoughts.