45mm and 60mm verse legacy telephoto

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Gary Ramey, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    I haven't pixel peeped any of the photos, just zooming them with in camera functions after taking some pics so not a scientific thread but more of subjective opinion.
    I was out shooting some new u43 lenses and comparing cropped versions of them with my expensive 50-200mm zoom. I originally wondered why Oly hadn't come out with more HQ zooms, ala Panny, for the u43 lineup. However, I was quite impressed by how sharp the prime lenses are. So sharp, that cropping in is almost comparable to my more expensive zoom. I'm really tempted now to buy the 75mm prime and just use it and crop away when needed.
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    As a broad generalization primes tend to be sharper than zooms. With good zoom lenses it's pretty easy to maintain center sharpness throughout the range of the zoom but tougher to maintain edge sharpness. A good prime will be sharp overall, even wide open. Again, this is a generalization. :cool:
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The fact that your 50-200mm (I'm gonna assume you mean the Zuiko Digital, if you're talking about a high grade lens in that focal length?) zoom lens can keep up with a prime is exactly why it's so expensive. :)