45-200mm VS 14-140mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by zuzullo, Mar 14, 2011.

1. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

These lens overlap from 90mm to 280mm (equiv.). And this is the exact Focal range that I want to cover. Now which of these 2 lens are the BEST?

The 45-200mm costs HALF of the price but that is not always a fact in terms of quality!

Which of these lens are the SHARPEST and offers the best QUALITY between 90-280mm?

Any reviews online? Cant find any!

thanks in advance
  2. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    I read both get considerably softer as the focal lengths go up, so with the range you're looking for and for half the price, the 45-200mm is probably the better purchase. The 14-140mm is suppose to be good for videos though.
  3. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    I've taken some time to shoot the 45-200. No knock on the 14-140, which I don't own and can't speak for.

Real world, I think the 45-200 is the best bargain in m43 glass you'll find.

Some test shots are here:Lens Test 45-200 - Mu-43 Gallery

I have a mobile me site with more, and exif data.

Cheers, Alan
    • Like Like x 1
  4. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    My 45-200 was pretty soft up towards 200 but in the 45-140 range I thought it was great. Now I own the 14-140 and it is less soft at the long end but I think if you don't need the wide end of the 14 or the long end of the 200 that the 45-200 is the best buy. Also it's faster in that range. Both seem to autofocus really fast but I'm sure the technical edge would go to the 14-140 since that's what Panny benchmarks the gh2's uber fast speed with.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

It would be great to see the apertures that you used in the shots you did of the boats. Anyway you could share that?
    Tanks in advance!
  6. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Link to EXIF all data

Hello Zuzullo,

Here's a link to my mobile me gallery for the 45-200.

If you click on the info button, you'll see focal length, aperture etc.

MobileMe Gallery

• Like Like x 1
  7. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

On the photo "Tenders 93mm at f4" its impressive to see that the house on the background is still in focus. Is it really impossivle to get a blured background with that lens?
  8. shoturtle

Oct 15, 2010
    no you can blur out the black ground if the lens is used properly.
  9. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Or, you can use it properly and leave it in... if that's what your trying to do.
  10. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    Quite so - even I fall victim to the "must have background blur!" thought pattern when many shots are well served by depth of field.
    Your point is well taken and more of us need to see the range of possibilities that our gear offers.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

Sorry guys, it may be my English but I didnt quite understood yet if YES, it is possible to blur the background houses of a picture like the "Tenders 93mm at f4" or NOT.

I somehow feel like this is the kind of shot I would do and I am wondering what I could do with these lenses here.

12. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hello Zuzullo,

Yes, it is possible to have some bokeh from this lens.

Keep in mind, it is a tele -zoom lens, and there are several factors which contribute to or hinder the effect you're looking for, especially in the case of this type of lens.

The day on which I made these shots, my goal was to test the overall crispness of the lens under real world conditions, it just happened to be around 8-f outside and I wasn't in the mood... for creating mood...

The quick and dirty answer is yes...
    • Like Like x 1
  13. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular