45-200, 75-300 or 100-300 what to get for Kenya Safari

what to choose

• Total voters

Klorenzo

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Lorenzo
I seems that better autofocus of the Oly beats the additional speed of the Pana at least for an Oly body but that low light could be somewhat of a challenge. From what I can gather by browing the internet people recommend shutter speeds from 1/60 to 1/1000 in order to get sharp images - anyone with experience in this regard?

If you trust DxO transmission measurements there is not practical difference in speed as more light is "lost" with the 100-300. Anyway half-stop is not something that makes a big difference.

For speed just go as fast as you can. I try to stay at 500+ (with the O75-300 and the E-M10 mk1) at maximum focal length. Lean against something, place a knee on the floor, sit down and place the lens on your knees, control breath, monopod/bean bag: do anything you can. If you are relaxed you may get a few shots at 1/100 but easily you'll get some micro blur. If you are in a hurry, tense, maybe heavy breathing, etc. all this goes into the picture. I think 250 is already at risk for handheld shots (but depends on how many shots you take and how much you stabilize yourself). Stop it down to f8 when you can.
Whatever lens you get try to take ten identical shots, or a long burst, and see how much they differ.

Be also aware that by default IBIS is disabled in burst mode, I think there is no particular drawback in enabling it (it's the "[burst symbol] IS off" option).

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
... control breath, monopod/bean bag: do anything you can. ...
Yes. All the stabilization tricks. Just to amplify a little on the monopod recommendation, I'll describe the shot from post #40 of the leopard cub:

The cub was about ninety degrees to the vehicle on the left, on a low branch not far above eye level. I was seated on the left side of an open game drive vehicle. The GX8/100-400mm was on an Acratech ball head on top of the partially-extended monopod leg from my Benro carbon tripod. The bottom of the monopod was left and forward of me on the floor of the vehicle steadied by the outside of my left foot. It was angled back about thirty degrees to bring the camera to the side of my seat. It was also leaned away from me by about ten degrees to rest on the vehicle roof frame. Very solid overall. So you can see that the ball head was necessary to level the camera. (This setup is much more complicated to describe than it was to do.)

The point is that the monopod is not just a vertical stick used underneath the camera. I also carry a couple of bungee cords that I can use to lash it to trees, railings, etc. I have a nice after-dark shot of the light show at the Great Sphinx of Giza, taken with a monopod lashed to a railing. With a little creativity, a monopod can be as stable as a tripod in many situations.

HTH

StefanKruse

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Stefan
Be also aware that by default IBIS is disabled in burst mode, I think there is no particular drawback in enabling it (it's the "[burst symbol] IS off" option).

Was not aware of this - should it be turne on or off? it says (Burst-Symbol + IS off) then this has to be off I guess and not on?

Klorenzo

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Lorenzo
Was not aware of this - should it be turne on or off? it says (Burst-Symbol + IS off) then this has to be off I guess and not on?

I agree, to enable IBIS you need to set this feature to off. Then there is this:

suggested settings for the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Micro Four Thirds camera [Gary Ayton's photography wiki]

So set the High speed burst to 7 fps (I did not personally test this settings because testing IBIS takes a lot of time, I'm just referring this info).
I suppose that at high speed burst the IBIS gets less and less effective so a lower value may be even better.

Of course if you shoot at 1/1000+ IBIS is useless and this is probably the rationale behind all these choices (burst = fast subject = fast shutter speed). But in the 1/100-200 range could still make a difference.

Shaw

Mu-43 Veteran
Howe o' the Mearns, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Real Name
Stewart
I have the Olympus 75-300 mk2 and my wife has the Lumix 100-300 and I can't see any image quality difference between them, but I prefer the Olympus, because the Lumix has a very stiff zoom action. Her Lumix 100-400 also has a very stiff zoom.

StefanKruse

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Stefan
I have the Olympus 75-300 mk2 and my wife has the Lumix 100-300 and I can't see any image quality difference between them, but I prefer the Olympus, because the Lumix has a very stiff zoom action. Her Lumix 100-400 also has a very stiff zoom.

Wow from the looks of your signature you basically have every Telezoom available :)

trandg

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
David
Well, I basically just went through a similar decision process before my safari. Many advised to get the longest lens possible - and I thought I was going to be fine with my 40-150mm f2.8. Turns out I almost never used it on safari. I almost exclusively used the PL 100-400mm that I bought for the trip. I plan on selling it and likely won't lose that much from it either, but will have benefited from some really healthy shots I'm happy with. I definitely think no matter what length you'll have, you'll want more, and the 100-400mm gives you the most you can get for your system. Especially since you can't really go off road in many of the game parks - if something is off road, you're stuck with whatever zoom you have. I think if you can front the cash, I would buy it then sell it afterwards. There are some good deals online if you want me to point you to some.

I brought two bodies and a bunch of lenses and the majority of my shots were on a single body and the 100-400mm. I did take shots on a wider 12-40mm f2.8 on another body, but I honestly could have done without it and wouldn't have missed many shots if I changed lenses in the truck. Yes, it gets dusty, but we were often sitting, watching and waiting and dust had been relatively settled. I'm sure its different for everyone. I also found we were in the car all day - not just dusk and dawn, and we saw plenty of action at all hours. Especially a leopard hunt mid-day which was super exciting along with a momma and baby cheetah roaming for some shade.

Here's a few pics if you want to see what the lens can do. If you can't get it - get one of the 300mm zooms you mentioned and you will still get some great shots.

trandg

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
David
Oh and agree 100% with oldracer that you MUST have a monopod. I couldn't have got the majority of my video or stills without having it. SUPER SUPER ESSENTIAL DONT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT. :)

StefanKruse

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Stefan
Well, I basically just went through a similar decision process before my safari. Many advised to get the longest lens possible - and I thought I was going to be fine with my 40-150mm f2.8. Turns out I almost never used it on safari. I almost exclusively used the PL 100-400mm that I bought for the trip. I plan on selling it and likely won't lose that much from it either, but will have benefited from some really healthy shots I'm happy with. I definitely think no matter what length you'll have, you'll want more, and the 100-400mm gives you the most you can get for your system. Especially since you can't really go off road in many of the game parks - if something is off road, you're stuck with whatever zoom you have. I think if you can front the cash, I would buy it then sell it afterwards. There are some good deals online if you want me to point you to some.

I brought two bodies and a bunch of lenses and the majority of my shots were on a single body and the 100-400mm. I did take shots on a wider 12-40mm f2.8 on another body, but I honestly could have done without it and wouldn't have missed many shots if I changed lenses in the truck. Yes, it gets dusty, but we were often sitting, watching and waiting and dust had been relatively settled. I'm sure its different for everyone. I also found we were in the car all day - not just dusk and dawn, and we saw plenty of action at all hours. Especially a leopard hunt mid-day which was super exciting along with a momma and baby cheetah roaming for some shade.

Here's a few pics if you want to see what the lens can do. If you can't get it - get one of the 300mm zooms you mentioned and you will still get some great shots.

Very nice shots . the pana 10-400 really delivers beautiful results with a skilled photographer.

Unfortunately I cant pony up for the 100-400 but I feel encouraged by the shots I have seen produced by others. Good feedback on the monopod I was planning to bring a beanbag but will look into a monopod as well. Can you recommend something which is light and good for travelling?

trandg

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
David
I didn't bother with a beanbag, so can't comment if it's necessary to bring - I wanted a lot more movement since I did a lot of video so the monopod was where it was at for me. I didn't have the sturdiest monopod either. I used a MeFoto Roadtrip tripod that also converted into a monopod as well - I needed something that was versatile. There are definitely better monopods for the job, but I didn't feel like taking more gear with me. It definitely did the trick for me in the Land Cruiser though often anchored in a corner of the door or around my foot.

And don't worry about the 100-400. You'll still get great shots with the 100-300mm and if you can't get the shot, just put the camera down and take it all in. Really important not to get stuck behind the OVF for too long and it's really easy to do that. There's so much exciting stuff happening. I found I shot less and less after I got all the key shots I wanted and just soaked it all in. Really excited for you - it's such an unbelievable experience.

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
I'm planning on the MeFoto Roadtrip, using the detachable leg as a monopod. My testing suggests that it's adequately stable, especially when not fully extended while you're sitting in the drive vehicle. I have a Sirui P-326 monopod which is great, but I also don't want to being any additional gear given the weight restrictions (it's about 1.5 pounds with the head).

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
Great pics Alex, but a bit confused after reading your post - on the one hand you say the 75-300 is too slow for good pics, but on the other hand you shared some great shots?

Sorry for not making myself clear — those pics were taken using a Panasonic 100-300, and I included them because I felt that that lens was not getting enough credit in this thread. In my experience, its IQ is every bit as good as that of the 100-400, though it's very possible that I got lucky with a particularly good copy of the former and a bad copy of the latter. And as you know, the 100-300 is a bit faster at the long end than is the 75-300.

It's an unfortunate aspect of nature's sense of humour that most visually interesting wildlife action typically takes place at dawn and dusk. Once the sun is fully up, the higher predators of the African plains generally devote themselves to sleep. Most of the hunting action happens at either the beginning or end of the day, when light levels are comparatively low. Kenya is on the equator, and consequently dawn and dusk happen very quickly — one moment it's dark and thirty minutes later you're looking for your hat, so in practice the difference between f/5.6 and f/6.7 probably only represents about ten minutes of the day in terms of available shooting time, given an arbitrary set of acceptable shooting settings (maximum ISO and minimum shutter speed), but... they're likely to be ten quite valuable minutes.

But it's important to maintain some kind of perspective — I'm confident that you are going to have an amazing experience in Kenya, regardless of the contents of your camera bag and ultimately that's what matters most, in my opinion. It's a humbling and inspirational thing that goes far beyond any photographic activities. Even if your main aim is simply to relax in amazing surroundings and you choose to sleep in and just amble about at leisure later in the day, you'll be able to capture some memorable images with practically any camera gear — certainly with any of the stuff currently under discussion. On the other hand, if the photographic aspect is more of big deal for you, my advice is to take the fastest lenses you can afford. In this regard, my opinion respectfully differs from @oldracer 's — when it comes to photographing wildlife there is no substitute for a fast lens — at least, not if your aim is to maximize the available opportunities. i have to admit that to some extent I view it as a challenge from the animals themselves, albeit a somewhat humorous one: if they think they can outwit me by doing the things I want to photograph at times where there is little light, I'm going to my darndest to overcome that hurdle! :) Of course, it's a foregone conclusion — they're going to win the challenge every time — but it's fun to try nevertheless. Dawn is when the hippos are returning to the rivers from their nocturnal grazing grounds, when the mist is rising from the water as elephants make their morning commute to the river from the relative safety of the hills, when cats are slinking through the bluish light in search of a meal — there's nothing like it, but it is challenging. I could post a series of images, shot over the space of a couple of hours, while waiting for a leopard to wake up from its lair beneath a tree, high up on a rocky ridge. They start with the 100-300 (leopard sleeping on its back in long grass, only feet visible), progress through the 40-150 Pro (wakes up, moves down the ridge by stages, running from cover to cover) and end up with the 75/1.8 (finally emerges quite close to us — great opportunity for a moody shot). Unfortunately, by that time, it was practically dark (1/15 second, f/1.8, ISO3200) and she was just too far away for the photo to be a real keeper. Which is why, on my next trip, I'll be taking the Oly 150mm f2... :D
But that's just me — everyone's priorities are different! :)

Real Name
Walter
I'm planning on the MeFoto Roadtrip, using the detachable leg as a monopod. My testing suggests that it's adequately stable, especially when not fully extended while you're sitting in the drive vehicle. I have a Sirui P-326 monopod which is great, but I also don't want to being any additional gear given the weight restrictions (it's about 1.5 pounds with the head).

Let me ask this question. Why not bring just the Sirui monopod and leave the tripod behind? I agree that if you want both a tripod and a monopod, the Roadtrip makes sense. But, if a monopod is the most useful support, perhaps that's all you need?

StefanKruse

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Stefan
Sorry for not making myself clear — those pics were taken using a Panasonic 100-300, and I included them because I felt that that lens was not getting enough credit in this thread. In my experience, its IQ is every bit as good as that of the 100-400, though it's very possible that I got lucky with a particularly good copy of the former and a bad copy of the latter. And as you know, the 100-300 is a bit faster at the long end than is the 75-300.

It's an unfortunate aspect of nature's sense of humour that most visually interesting wildlife action typically takes place at dawn and dusk. Once the sun is fully up, the higher predators of the African plains generally devote themselves to sleep. Most of the hunting action happens at either the beginning or end of the day, when light levels are comparatively low. Kenya is on the equator, and consequently dawn and dusk happen very quickly — one moment it's dark and thirty minutes later you're looking for your hat, so in practice the difference between f/5.6 and f/6.7 probably only represents about ten minutes of the day in terms of available shooting time, given an arbitrary set of acceptable shooting settings (maximum ISO and minimum shutter speed), but... they're likely to be ten quite valuable minutes.

But it's important to maintain some kind of perspective — I'm confident that you are going to have an amazing experience in Kenya, regardless of the contents of your camera bag and ultimately that's what matters most, in my opinion. It's a humbling and inspirational thing that goes far beyond any photographic activities. Even if your main aim is simply to relax in amazing surroundings and you choose to sleep in and just amble about at leisure later in the day, you'll be able to capture some memorable images with practically any camera gear — certainly with any of the stuff currently under discussion. On the other hand, if the photographic aspect is more of big deal for you, my advice is to take the fastest lenses you can afford. In this regard, my opinion respectfully differs from @oldracer 's — when it comes to photographing wildlife there is no substitute for a fast lens — at least, not if your aim is to maximize the available opportunities. i have to admit that to some extent I view it as a challenge from the animals themselves, albeit a somewhat humorous one: if they think they can outwit me by doing the things I want to photograph at times where there is little light, I'm going to my darndest to overcome that hurdle! :) Of course, it's a foregone conclusion — they're going to win the challenge every time — but it's fun to try nevertheless. Dawn is when the hippos are returning to the rivers from their nocturnal grazing grounds, when the mist is rising from the water as elephants make their morning commute to the river from the relative safety of the hills, when cats are slinking through the bluish light in search of a meal — there's nothing like it, but it is challenging. I could post a series of images, shot over the space of a couple of hours, while waiting for a leopard to wake up from its lair beneath a tree, high up on a rocky ridge. They start with the 100-300 (leopard sleeping on its back in long grass, only feet visible), progress through the 40-150 Pro (wakes up, moves down the ridge by stages, running from cover to cover) and end up with the 75/1.8 (finally emerges quite close to us — great opportunity for a moody shot). Unfortunately, by that time, it was practically dark (1/15 second, f/1.8, ISO3200) and she was just too far away for the photo to be a real keeper. Which is why, on my next trip, I'll be taking the Oly 150mm f2... :D
But that's just me — everyone's priorities are different! :)

Thanks Alex this was really useful!

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
The Mefoto Roadtrip is a nice tripod but it makes kind of a goofy monopod, IMHO (with the padding half-way down the leg). If you get the short column for it:
MeFOTO Aluminum Short Column for the RoadTrip Tripod ASC31 B&H

it makes a much nicer monopod. The short column is pretty pricey, I think, but you might consider it. You could then perhaps just bring it instead of the regular center column, if the tripod itself is then high enough for you.

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
... In this regard, my opinion respectfully differs from
2988.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
@oldracer 's — when it comes to photographing wildlife there is no substitute for a fast lens ...
I don't think we disagree. The point I was trying to make is that there is little or no long, fast glass. IMO it is preferable to give up one or even two stops of ISO in order to fill the frame with a slow 300mm lens than it is to crop away 75% of the image area to get the same framing when shooting the same subject with a 150mm lens. As has been said in the thread repeatedly, reach is everything.

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
Let me ask this question. Why not bring just the Sirui monopod and leave the tripod behind? I agree that if you want both a tripod and a monopod, the Roadtrip makes sense. But, if a monopod is the most useful support, perhaps that's all you need?

That's been under consideration. I expect to take some evening/night/sunrise photos. We'll also be visiting Victoria Falls where the tripod would be handy. But I'd love to convince myself to save the 2 lbs by making the swap.

Latest threads

Top Bottom