1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

45-175x

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Ralser, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Ralser

Ralser Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2011
    I'd like to get this lens, but am worried about the IS problems. Anyone have any newer comments about this problem? I haven't seen much mentioned recently.

Thanks

2. keith1200rs

keith1200rs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2011
    North Yorkshire
    The OIS problem still exists. The firmware update of 17th November improved things for some people, fixed it for some and left others with OIS problems remaining. I don't know how many happy customers there are relative to unhappy and I have not seen any information which narrows the problem down to specific bodies.

I returned mine for a refund almost as soon as I tried it (GF2 body). Panasonic have given no further information about the problem since 17th November as far as I am aware.

Keith

3. markus

markus Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 28, 2011
    I just got one of these from B&H last week. So far no probs, I've shot some pretty slow speeds handheld and it has worked fine. I've been meaning to try to figure out how to check the firmware just to see what version I have.

Best,
    - Mark

4. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Mark, what body are you using it on?

5. Ralser

Ralser Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2011
    From my reading it seems to misbehave at specific shutter speeds, ca 1/100 - 1/160 sec. Have you tried these speeds?

Steve

Did

6. leuallen

leuallen Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2010
    Mackinaw, Il
    Have 45-75 and 45-200. I prefer the 45-200.

Larry

7. markus

markus Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 28, 2011
    I am using it on a new G3 that I got from B&H at the same time.

I didn't know that issues were potentially tied to certain shutter speeds; I'll try to shoot some in that range later and see what happens.

LARRY: When you say you prefer the 45-200 why is that? Is it image related, ergonomics/zoom lever, etc? It has been a little strange getting used to shooting this and the 14-42x with the zoom levers. Image quality, it's hard for me to say - I'm coming from a Nikon D200 with 50-150 f2.8!

- Mark

PS - I have some sample images taken with that lens straight out of camera; is there an image thread for that lens yet?

8. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
  9. markus

markus Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 28, 2011
    OK I checked my test shots and I have a couple at 1/100 and 1/125. They are fine. I will try to take some at 1/160 over the next couple of days.

If there is interest, I can post images right out of camera for people to review. That being said, it does seem like image quality is recognized as being the same as or possibly slightly better than the 45-175. So probably what people are trying to track down here is more of an OIS issue.

To the original poster, if you want the lens - go ahead and buy one. As long as you get it from a reputable shop (B&H, etc) you should be able to test it and return if you have issues.

- Markus