1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

43rumors product of the year poll

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Linh, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I chose the E-P3 for fulfilling the promise of a beautiful camera without clunky performance.

2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Oly 45 wins by a wide margin, IMO. A huge milestone for Olympus also - fastest lens in their entire digital history.

3. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Who's voting for the GX1? Seriously? That things been out for two weeks, and like three people have it.

4. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    Eh. It just seems like the answer to a question that no one was asking.

5. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I was one of those who voted for the Oly 45mm f/1.8. Simply a must-have lens and a fabulous bang for the buck if one is anywhere beyond the point-and-shoot stage.

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
  7. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I voted for the 45/1.8 as well. The admin guy is smart - he knows how to drive traffic to his site. :biggrin:

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I joined the 1% of voters who picked the E-PM1. lol, back in my day a "1%er" was an outlaw biker - one of the 1% of the population who lived free from the law of the land, or the constraints of society.

As much as I like lenses like the 45mm f/1.8, the reason I started using Micro Four-Thirds was for the bodies not the lenses. Four-Thirds has the advantage in lenses (which is why I started using that system in the first place), but Micro Four-Thirds has the advantage in bodies. Where that advantage lies is in giving us the most compact bodies with no loss of quality of functionality. The controls may be a little more difficult than an E-P3, GX-1, or E-5, but when it comes down to actual capabilities the E-PM1 are just as good as any of them. Where the E-PM1 shines is for at least 90% of the time for most people - when the camera is still in the bag. My DSLR kit never let me down in terms of functionality and quality, where it got in my way was in carrying it. Hence the need for Micro Four-Thirds.

That's why the new tiny body form of the E-PM1 is the most significant for the Micro Four Thirds system. Unlike other small-body attempts like the GF-3, the E-PM1 doesn't skim on functions in any way. It still lets you use professional lighting accessories through a standard hotshoe, professional audio through a standard 3.5mm mic port, a high-quality EVF that rivals pro-grade DSLR viewfinders (with both strengths and weaknesses over them), and it still gives you full manual control and allows all the same lenses. All it skimps on is buttons, in order to provide a clean interface to shrink it down to the smallest size.

9. pawzitiv

pawzitiv Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2010
    Calgary
    Hey .. I resemble that remark!:biggrin: I'm very pleased with mine.

For a new camera body that was made from unobtanium until late November, the GX1 has already had nearly 500 votes in the poll. Pretty good going for a camera where probably half of those sold are wrapped up all pretty and sitting under a Christmas tree.

10. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    Love my Oly 45mm, and I guess so does many other users.

11. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    I love my 45mm too, voted for it. But, why is the SLR magic 12mm on that list? It's not available in market yet, right?

12. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    In the past week two friends - one a pro photog shooting full-frame Canon and one a sem-pro shooting full-frame Nikon - talked about getting the GX1 with the 14-42 X. Both are looking for a small camera to use with family and when they are not working. Both currently have Canon G10s. I think they'll be pleasantly surprised...

13. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Are you taking the piss? Do you not remember how many people were asking for a true GF1 replacement?

Anyway, I voted for the 45/f1.8, because it represents everything that is good about MFT. 14-42X was a close second, simply because it such an amazing bit of engineering :smile:

14. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    The 45 f1.8 definitely deserves mft lens of the year, but I voted for the EP3.

I didn't fall completely in love with :43: until the EP3 came along. It brought many people into the fold, or at least kicked up enough dust to have everyone inquiring.

Despite any perceived limitations, the EP-3 landed itself in entry-level dslr territory, and was sort of the face or the "poster child" of the MFT philosophy: portable, sleek, retro, fast, ridiculously overpriced. :tongue: