1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

43rumors declares the Pen-F dead

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by robcee, Apr 17, 2019.

1. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Rob Campbell
    I think we've heard it before, but a source inside Olympus confirmed to 43rumors that the Pen-F line has been killed.

If you've been on the fence about buying one of these, like I have, this might be the time to pull the trigger on a kick-ass, range-finder style camera with some impressive in-camera creative processing options. I'm strongly considering it.

(FT4) The PEN-F line has been killed :( - 43 Rumors

edit: an adverb

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    If they made a cheaper and less premium model for $800 I bet it would have sold. To be fair, I had one and prefer the Fuji XE series, despite the loss of IBIS. The XE series had a much better pricing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Pluttis

Pluttis Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2016
    Sweden
    Peter
    Have Pen-F ever been a line...Thought it where a model they released to celebrating Olympus 80th anniversary? Its a great and fun camer to use, only real flaw is the bad AF-C performance.

4. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    I was certainly a potential Pen-F buyer, but I ended up getting a GX85 because it was nearly equal to the Pen-F for stills, was better than the Pen-F for video, and was a lot cheaper.

Today, if I wanted a retro-look body with great jpegs, I'd get an X-T30. I feel like Olympus has really ceded the small, retro, jpeg space to Fuji. If Olympus isn't going to bring out a Pen-F or E-P6, I hope that they come back with a great, reasonably priced E-M5 iii.

5. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    In response to myself, I suppose I should acknowledge the E-M10 series. Perhaps I'm being unfair.

Still, feels like Fuji has really made a great effort to offer cameras that are just as small as m4/3 (X-T30 is actually a bit smaller than the E-M10 iii) and has focused on releasing small and light lenses as well. Meanwhile, all recent Olympus lens releases have either been enormous f/1.2 primes (that I won't buy) or enormous zooms (that I won't buy). My memory may be failing me, but I can't remember the last small lens Olympus released, maybe the 30/3.5 macro?

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    Why do they need to release more small lenses? Just about any focal length is covered by small lenses already.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 3
  7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team Subscribing Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Despite all the things that the Pen-F can be criticised for (no weather-sealing, divisive JPEG knob, EVF smaller than it might be, innards similar to E-M5ii but at a higher price, lousy C-AF, ...), it somehow seems to work as a camera. It's just such a nice-looking and nice-feeling camera. It lets you take photographs without getting in the way and the results from it seldom disappoint.

Interestingly, I was reading some reviews of the Leica CL today and the Pen-F is often compared to it - which is quite astonishing considering the Leica costs 3x the price.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. ToxicTabasco

ToxicTabasco Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 2, 2018
    South West USA
    It was and still is a sexy camera. They will still work even if they stop making them.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    Fair enough. Those small Fuji primes are weatherproof, but not the m4/3 lenses (despite many weatherproof cameras).

But I think I've distracted enough from the conversation. I'm just searching for reasons why the Pen-F apparently has not merited a sequel, but we have no way of confirming that it won't have a successor.

I still hope that someday there's a Pen-F II for me to consider, when it's time to replace my GX85.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. CO_yeti

CO_yeti Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2019
    Denver, CO
    I don't know what 'killed off' means when a camera body is 3+ years post release and always was marketed as a special anniversary item.

The Pen F is a niche camera. Either it works for you or it doesn't. No judgment either way. Most that own it are happy with their purchase. I hope Olympus continues to take chances with 'quirky' designs in between major launches. The EM1x shows they probably will.

• Agree Agree x 6
  11. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    Maybe you should have read the rumor, the reason why was stated by the source of the rumor.

12. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Just because there isn't going to be a Pen-Fii, that doesn't mean there couldn't be a future Pen-FT, or Pen-FV. They could take what was learned from the Pen-F and create a different one-off model along the same lines.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    Maybe they will make the Pen-MF (medium format)

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    "The sources told me that the PEN-F simply didn’t sell well enough and Olympus had lost hope that a new PEN-FII would sell better."

There are reasons why sales were low. My above posts speculate on those reasons. Again, this is getting off-topic and I will now leave the thread be.

• Sad Sad x 3
  15. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    How about a Pen-W. Panorama sensor, they have it in their history.

• Wow Wow x 1
  16. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    I would buy that

17. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I was wrong. The Pen W half frame wasn't panorama. It was just really wide angle for half frame at 25mm.

• Like Like x 1
  18. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team Subscribing Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I think sales were low simply because it was overpriced. It's a beautifully-made camera, but at its launch price (which never really softened), it invited the wrong comparisons with the E-M5ii and the E-M10ii. The 10 did almost as much as the Pen for a lot less, and the 5 did a little more for a little less. And that's before looking at larger-sensored competitors like Fuji and Sony. Olympus thought its cute looks and quality build feel would warrant a premium price sticker - but I think they were wrong.

• Agree Agree x 6
  19. rloewy

rloewy Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 5, 2014
    Ron
    So, we will get a Pen FT? ;) 

20. Gidget

Gidget Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Leah Hallett
    That's sad :(  Wonder what used prices will do?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.