1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

430exii as a slave

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by cmk325i, Oct 1, 2011.

1. cmk325i

cmk325i Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2011
    Is it possible to use the 430ex as a slave with the ep3 flash controller or does it only work with olympus flashes ?

2. ggweci

ggweci New to Mu-43

I don't believe that the 430ex has an "optical slave" option... if that's the case, then it won't work. And even if it does work, it won't be TTL. But manual flash is fun to use anyways :)

I have Nikon SB-700's and they do have this (Nikon calls it SU-4), so they can be triggered "optically" by any flash.

If the 430ex doesn't work, you may want to look at the Lumopro LP160 through MPEX:
    LumoPro LP160 Quad Sync Manual Flash MPEX
    It is relatively inexpensive, but again, is manual only.

3. DIS Ottawa

DIS Ottawa Guest

I just tried to trigger my 430EX with my E-P3 but couldn't get it to work. It seems it will only work with Olympus flashes. The flash will fire if you put in the hot shoe, but only with manual output control.

For ggweci, the 430 will work as a "slave" but not as a master, at least with the Canon system.

4. ggweci

ggweci New to Mu-43

Correct... slave as in it's control by a master Canon flash (i.e 580EX). I wasn't sure if the 430 would work as an optical slave like my SB's. You've confirmed that they won't, bad news for the OP :frown:

5. cmk325i

cmk325i Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2011
    Thanks guys couldn't get mine to work either.