43 rumors reports that Panasonic is releasing the Gh6 in 2021

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Apparently Panasonic held a press conference and according to M43 rumors says the Gh6 will be released in 2021.

lucanus81

Mu-43 Regular
Apparently Panasonic held a press conference and according to M43 rumors says the Gh6 will be released in 2021.
I wonder whether it will have a new sensor or not. If yes I guess future OMD’s cameras might use that new sensor as well. What do you think ?

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Not sure, but I think any 8K video is going to require a new M43 sensor. This late in the game the Gh6 has to be 8k to "stay even".

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
I think it was inevitable. And it will also have 8k. They have to have it. Personally, I was never in the market for a GH series camera, but the GH5 has been around for quite some time. Impressively it is still amongst the best for video, topping a whole lot of video cameras. It's just, that I don't really do video and if I did whatever a GX9 or G90 gives is probably good enough and the G9 can currently be had for 800€ (and is also too big).

Still, I'm very interested with what they come up with as some of that tech will trickle down and surely one day they must build a gx8 successor worth buying! I've looked around and I definitely don't want a larger sensor so one of Panasonic or Olympus will have to deliver, preferably Panasonic.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran

According to m43 rumours the original source was Spanish Photolari and according to Photolari some unnamed spokesperson held some kind of presentation for the press in unspecified place but in one of the slides a successor to GH5 was mentioned.
https://www.photolari.com/panasonic-confirma-que-habra-una-sucesora-de-la-gh5-este-2021/

During last three weeks there were two major events where Panasonic Imaging top brass made presentations about their 2021 plans but failed to say anything concrete about M4/3 products despite the fact that the second event was a MFT-specific conference together with OMDS.

On top of that the title "Panasonic just confirmed..." is somewhat questionable because Photolari news was dated March 25th. Also almost three weeks ago.

Last edited:

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
Personally, I think they want to avoid as much hype as possible, and postpone launch as long as they can. We have a world silicon shortage right now, and the last thing they want is a bunch of negative press because they can't produce the things fast enough.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
While I agree with @DanS the postponed Olympics are also coming soon, they might try to push out new gear to cover it.
I don't get the obsession with the olympics on this board. I think the vast majority of photographers actually at the olympics will not be shooting Olympus or Panasonic and I don't think that the one or two who maybe do don't warrant structuring their whole release schedule around them. It's not like the general public is made aware of the gear photographers use at the olympic so even any perceived marketing value is probably low to inexistent.

It makes even less sense when thinking about Panasonic's focus on video. I don't think there will be a single pro video guy at the olympics using a GH5/6 (or any FF Mirrorless body for that matter) to shoot video of the olympics, with the exception of maybe some documentary about the competitors. It's going to be all professional video cameras, mostly for TV broadcast.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
So, 3 models of the new GH6 all with a 41mp sensor. Brilliant. So will that consist of a hybrid, a videocentric and a photocentric. This would replace the need for a G9 replacement perhaps. Can I have a dark blue one please.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
So, 3 models of the new GH6 all with a 41mp sensor. Brilliant. So will that consist of a hybrid, a videocentric and a photocentric. This would replace the need for a G9 replacement perhaps. Can I have a dark blue one please.
Any new GH6 would be videocentric, right? I mean, that's what the GH5 is. Also, I think that if it uses a new sensor, it WILL trickle down to a G10, hopefully fairly soon. If it's a little smaller than the G9 (say similar to the E-M1.3) and has HHHR, I'd be on it in a second!

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I don't get the obsession with the olympics on this board. I think the vast majority of photographers actually at the olympics will not be shooting Olympus or Panasonic and I don't think that the one or two who maybe do don't warrant structuring their whole release schedule around them. It's not like the general public is made aware of the gear photographers use at the olympic so even any perceived marketing value is probably low to inexistent.

The marketing logic goes the other way around. Major sports events like Olympic games, Soccer World Cup etc have always been used to create huge hype around the latest broadcast innovations like Colour TV, digital TV, HD TV and 4k TV.

Hype will then give consumers perfect excuse to update their televisions to, say, 4k just before the Olympics which will be broadcast in this new format. After eveyone has upgraded to 4k, it's of course obvious that every serious videographer must upgrade their kit to higher resolution as well since they can now actually see the difference in their own living room and hey! "It's future proof"

This time problem is the unfortunate fact that humans don't have 8k eyes and they can't really see any difference between otherwise identical 4k and 8k panels unless they can afford something like 100'' screens and watch it from less than 2m distance. Most younger people use almost exclusively smartphones or occasionally tablets/13'' laptops where even young eyes have hard time to see any relevant difference between full HD and 4k, let alone 8k

So, even if Tokyo Olympics will be broadcast in 8k somewhere in the world, it's more than likely that nobody will buy new 8k TV:s just to watch them and therefore 8k video will be a totally pointless feature in consumer or even prosumer cameras because nobody will be able to view 8k video with anything they own.

Last edited:

dwkdnvr

Mu-43 Regular
Any new GH6 would be videocentric, right? I mean, that's what the GH5 is. Also, I think that if it uses a new sensor, it WILL trickle down to a G10, hopefully fairly soon. If it's a little smaller than the G9 (say similar to the E-M1.3) and has HHHR, I'd be on it in a second!
Unfortunately, I'd have to guess that 'smaller' isn't where they'll have to go. Heat management for even 4k60 is becoming a real problem - see the controversy over the R6 and overheating during video. A GH6 at least is going to need significant heat-sinking an possibly active cooling if they're aiming for 8k or even 6k, and if a G10 follows from that basic technology I'd have to imagine that at the very least it's not going to be smaller than th eG9. Look at how big the S1 and S1H are, for example, and even the 'small' S5 is bigger then the G9. I have to think that the S5 is the lower bound on what we'd see if 6k or 8k are in the mix.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Unfortunately, I'd have to guess that 'smaller' isn't where they'll have to go. Heat management for even 4k60 is becoming a real problem - see the controversy over the R6 and overheating during video.

As far as I know the only non-broadcast ILC that can shoot unlimited 4k60p from full sensor width is Panasonic BGH1 which has both a huge heat sink and a fan. They are just cleverly hidden in the middle of the cube but both are located directly behind the MFT sensor.

OK, it's not really a "MFT sensor" but a 17:9 4k video sensor that has been designed to have a diagonal that matches MFT lens image circle. BGH1, GH5S or Sigma fp don't have mechanical shutters and since none of these have global shutters either, they are not really MFT Cameras.

Last edited:
Real Name
Mike
The marketing logic goes the other way around. Major sports events like Olympic games, Soccer World Cup etc have always been used to create huge hype around the latest broadcast innovations like Colour TV, digital TV, HD TV and 4k TV.

Hype will then give consumers perfect excuse to update their televisions to, say, 4k just before the Olympics which will be broadcast in this new format. After eveyone has upgraded to 4k, it's of course obvious that every serious videographer must upgrade their kit to higher resolution as well since they can now actually see the difference in their own living room and hey! "It's future proof"

This time problem is the unfortunate fact that humans don't have 8k eyes and they can't really see any difference between otherwise identical 4k and 8k panels unless they can afford something like 100'' screens and watch it from less than 2m distance. Most younger people use almost exclusively smartphones or occasionally tablets/13'' laptops where even young eyes have hard time to see any relevant difference between full HD and 4k, let alone 8k

So, even if Tokyo Olympics will be broadcast in 8k somewhere in the world, it's more than likely that nobody will buy new 8k TV:s just to watch them and therefore 8k video will be a totally pointless feature in consumer or even prosumer cameras because nobody will be able to view 8k video with anything they own.
6K / 8K (well, and even 12K) video capture capabilities are mostly now to facilitate better quality when cropping in post, to get an exact framing, or maybe for subtly (or not) zooming in and out, etc.

The demand is there for very high res capture from the video production side, justified or not. I don't think it has much to do with the Olympics, with impact of marketing that could be tied in to it pretty marginal.

Repp

Mu-43 All-Pro
I don't get the obsession with the olympics on this board.
Part of it is that Pany is a major financial supporter of the games in Japan, and even has some of their board members on the boards for some of the different events. While we might not see m43 tech come out for it, there is a chance we could see broadcast industry level stuff coming out. And with their big push to have the L and m43 mount netflix certified cameras, it wouldn't surprise me to see them pushing for more broadcast oriented tech.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Much more likely that they will try to sell Panasonic TVs for the Olympics. Anyway, it was likely that this was the year for the GH6 to happen and this "confirmation" is nowhere near official. Let's keep our fingers crossed something good comes out of Panasonic in terms of MFT bodies. Last year was pretty bleak for the photographers. While the BGH1 is at least a very good camera the G100 was really just an embarrassment. Hoping for a GH6 and some trickle down GX10.

The

The vast majority of video media consumed on screens is not by TV. It’s by handheld devices, many of which are fully capable of 4k.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom