40MP without the tripod

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by OzRay, Feb 14, 2015.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
  2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I think that he saying that you still have to use a tripod for 40MP but if you turn off the 40MP you can go handheld.

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I think they really do mean that the system will be able to take 40MP shots hand held:

4. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I don't read i tthat way.

should be read with

I read it as tripod now and Olympus is working to make the 40MP faster and handheld in the future. Something may have been lost in the translation in the article. It would be nice if it 40MP could done handheld, we shall see when the hands on reviews come in.

- David

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    When I said that the system 'will be able to', I meant in future (innovation never sleeps), as that's what Olympus is working on achieving. This may be something that could be available with the E-M1 replacement.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Ahhh, got it. We are saying the same thing. That would cool if the technology is ready for the E-M1 replacement. That, and 4K, would make step up for the E-M1 mii

7. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Certainly this guy is too young to have been in on the R&D of at least the beginning of the OM system. I imagine he was in grade school when the first OM-1 came out. Maybe he was director of R&D for the OM4.

8. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    the increment in resolution is quite small at normal web and print sizes. But I guess Olympus will work on faster processors and better sensors in future versions and we will see cameras coming out over the next few years with speeds that allow photography like this with 8 or more sensor shift frames taking shots in under 20ms.

9. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Olympus doesn't make sensors. That's why they have to go through this multi-shot kludge to get higher resolution.

10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Nikon doesn't make sensors either. I don't believe that it has anything to do with that. They are steadfast on persevering with m4/3 in order to provide smaller, lighter, high quality cameras. If that wasn't the case, then they'd be going the FF route.

Nokia is providing 40MP images (or a sort) from their mobile phones, all with software; Litro is providing after the fact focussing, all with software; NASA is producing photos of unprecedented detail, all with software. Don't be fooled into thinking that you need a big sensor to get quality results. The times they are a changing.

11. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    First sentence
    Makes it clear if you ask me

12. wolfie

wolfie Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Auckland, New Zealand
    All that resolution is for what?

This does not make any sense - who's talking about web pages? You could shoot 100Mp and it would make no discernible difference on a tiny image. So what is your point ?:confused:

In the real world, the 40MP outputs comparison at dpreview between the M5 and the Nikon 810 the Oly files showed zero moire and no colour fringing both of which the Nikon exhibited. A considerable advantage at 40 MP which I doubt anyone would use with the intention of making postcard prints or posting dinky little web shots.

If they could produce even a 24/30 MP hand held version it will be a huge win for the M43 format.

• Like Like x 1
  13. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    Is it really necessary to provoke every conversation into an argument? Can't people make comments without having their legitimacy challenged?

14. BobbyTan

BobbyTan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    That isn't the point. Even Sony wouldn't be able to cram 40 or 64MP on the m43 sensor. The only way to do this is via the shifting sensor technology and I am so pleased to see Olympus developing this technique and running with it. Yes, a hand-held 40MP or 64MP RAW file will be a feature on the new Olympus body (possibly the E-M1 Mk II) before we know it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Sony puts their latest technology into sensors that they use and sell to other camera manufacturers. Olympus doesn't sell enough cameras, and therefore buy enough sensors, for Sony to put much money into developing 4/3 sensors.

The current implementation of sensor shift is useable for very few photographers, for very few types of pictures. The no tripod version will still have considerable subject limitations. A scaled up 1", 20 mp, BSI Sony sensor to 4/3 would help the IQ of every picture taken. I would rather have a modest improvement for pictures I take than a big improvement for pictures I don't. I supose things are different for folks who are more interested in photography gear than photographs.

• Like Like x 1
  16. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Sony doesn't sell a lot of cameras either because of their limited lens selection, so I don't buy that Sony isn't putting money into developing 4/3 sensors. The question is; why wouldn't they want to ensure they are the only source of sensor supplier for all makers? The pace of development of new m43 sensors is the problem because Olympus isn't selling enough cameras to justify the urgent need for Sony.

17. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Exactly. 40MP native 4/3, plus a 10MP pixel-binning mode would be IMO the best of both worlds. If the sensor-shifting stitching mode proves popular, there's nothing precluding them from adding it to higher-resolution sensors, but it really is a niche option.

• Like Like x 1
  18. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Actually, the sensor really is 40mp in Nokia's case. They're more of a reverse example, because they take a native 40mp file and downsample it, while Olympus is using a smaller number of mp to end up with more pixels.

EM10•GX1•EP1•GF3•9mmBCL•17mm2.8•30mm2.8

19. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I wasn't sure which way it worked. But I've seen results from the Nokia and they do appear to be impressive. Mind you, it still shows that there are many ways in which to achieve very good images. I really do think that we're at a point where image technology is so good that very few people really demand better. Members of photography forums constitute a very small minority of the general population, and within those is an even smaller number that never seem satisfied with anything.

20. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    If these and other web pages are anything to go by .... "no" it seems

• Like Like x 1