1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

40fps - BURST - GH2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by zuzullo, Apr 16, 2011.

1. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

Is it possible to shoot at a permanent constant JPEG - BURST rate with GH2?

I am using a 16gb SDHC card Sandisk Extreme Pro 45mb/s Class UHS-I which I believe is the best available SD card.

All the burst modes stop shooting at full rate after +- one second. On the manual it says that it will be permanent until the card is full as far as I understand. But I cant find any mode where this works like so.

Anyone have an idea how to configure that up?
    I tried all res. and quality settings, but nothing.

Camera is set to Manual everything with fixed values so that the camera dont need to calculate anything. What I get is the following.

at 40fps mode, it stops after 1sec
    at 5fps mode, it slows down after 2sec
    at 3fps mode, it slows down after 2sec
    at 2fps mode, does not slow down

2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I have a Class 10 16GB card. I just gave it a try.

At the SH setting, I consistently get burst groups of 40 pics. This is consistent with what it says in the manual (in the table, it says max recordable pictures is 40 in SH mode). In this setting, I don't hear the shutter clicking.

At any of the lower settings, the camera just seems to keep going. The speed does slow down after a period of time, as it says in the manual. I can hear the shutter clicking and each image shows on the screen.

Here are the results of one of my SH tests. Quality and size were as low as possible. Manual focus in shutter priority mode set at 1/500, ISO320.

The first 26 shots fell within the same second according to EXIF data. The remainder fell within the next second according to EXIF data. It's possible that all 40 were within a second, but since I did not start shooting exactly at the beginning of a second, the shots span two seconds according to the clock.

• Like Like x 1
  3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I just tried this again, on the SH burst mode. I took pictures of a clock that displays tenths of seconds. Forty shots were taken.

The first four shots were in the first tenth-second.
    The next four shots were the second tenth-second.
    The next five shots were in the third tenth-second.
    The next five shots were in the fourth tenth-second.
    The next four shots were in the fifth tenth-second.
    The next five shots were in the sixth tenth-second.
    The next four shots were in the seventh tenth-second.
    *** There were no shots in the eighth tenth-second. ***
    The next four shots were in the ninth tenth-second.
    The last five shots were in the tenth tenth-second.

So it does seem that the camera is achieving close to 40 fps. I used manual focus, shutter-priority mode with shutter speed of 1/320, AutoISO. Resolution and size set to lowest/smallest possible.

Now, if only I could find a free iPhone clock app that shows hundredth of a second! :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  4. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

I cannot find anything referring a "slowdown speed after x seconds" on the manual under JPEG shooting. Only under RAW shooting there are some limitation clearly described. I am watching page 77 and 78. Did you find that info in any other part of the manual?

5. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Right at the bottom of page 76, the "*3" note about slowdown refers to both with or without RAW.

• Like Like x 1
  6. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

Damn you right! I am disappointed.
    So as far as I can understand, the MAX. STABLE continuous BURST that GH2 can do on MAX resolution is 2fps.
    Can you confirm that on your card?

As soon as I get some time I will make a chart of the BURST in all resolutions/modes on this card. Then it will be easy to compare it :smile:

Thanks for your replays.:thumbup:

7. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I'm not sure what you mean by stable continuous burst.

8. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

A burst that can be reliable and permanently the same until the card is full.

Mine seem to be able to sustain a continuous burst of 2fps maybe 2.5fps in full-res until the card is full. They should actually advertise for this value instead using those tricky high burst rates that can barely be sustained for a second! :mad:

Thats what I meant!:smile:

9. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    This is pretty frustrating. It might mention slowing down in the manual (I haven't checked to see if it does...) but in the specs listed on Panasonic's website - the specs I looked at BEFORE I purchased the camera - it clearly states:

"Number of Recordable Images: Unlimited consecutive shooting (when there are no RAW files)"

I also have the Extreme Pro 45mb/s card and I only get 5 frames before slowing significantly with the following settings:

- 5fps
    - Fine, Large 4:3 jpeg
    - Lens cap on.
    - M mode @ 1/4000th, 160iso & f1.7
    - MF
    - IDynamic OFF
    - IResolution OFF

This is the fastest card available and the least strenuous shooting conditions possible (with full-size jpeg). According to Panasonic it SHOULD keep going at 5fps till the card is full.

It doesn't.

• Like Like x 1
  10. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Nick, may I respectfully suggest that you misinterpreted what the Panasonic website said. The NUMBER of consecutive pictures you can take is unlimited. They didn't say that the sustained speed would remain constant. I'm sorry if that was what you were looking for.

With my Class 10 Transcend card, I get seven frames before slowdown using the settings you listed above. After that, the camera continues to take shots at the slowed speed - I assume until the card is full, but I have a 16GB card and don't want to bother testing that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011

Yeah I that I misinterpreted what they said, but all things considered I think I interpreted it the way they wanted it interpreted...

• Like Like x 1