1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

4000 Islands, Laos

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by BlairMacKay, Mar 26, 2010.

1. BlairMacKay

BlairMacKay Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta

Hi all, so this was the last spot in Laos we visited. It is called Sii Phan Don, or 4000 Islands in English. The Islands are in Southern Laos, on the border with Cambodia, and are in the widest part of the Mekong. The name (4000 Islands) comes from... you guessed it, there are in estimated 4000 islands in the dry season.

We stayed on an Island called Don Det, and I have to say, it was the most relaxing spot I have ever been too. There are no cars, they just got electricity two months ago, and the people are very laid back. We went for two days and ended up spending a week... nice.

So here are the pics:

Bicycle/walking road
    P1090191-2.

Boat
    P1090212.

My favourite tree
    P1090222.

Dog vs. Buffalo
    P1090272.

Sunset treeline
    P1090297.

Sunrise flower
    P1090311.

Island beach
    P1090384.

Boat Guide
    P1090417.

On the ride back to China
    P1090432.

Thanks for looking. I may do a best of Laos thread in the future, and will definitelly do a Best of China thread from my blog!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Beautiful set Blair, thanks for sharing with us here :friends:

Cheers

Brian

3. BlairMacKay

Jan 8, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
    Thanks Brian, I really enjoy this forum!

4. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I really like your use of the wide angle lens how wide are you in some of these?

5. BlairMacKay

Jan 8, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
    Thanks Lisa, only at 14mm with the kit lens. For the sunset photo, the treeline was far away so I just got close to the ground to give it the wide angle effect. The first few were also at 14mm, I would love to have the 7-14mm though! Maybe in March...

6. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

An interesting set Blair - some seem a touch dark on my monitor (not calibrated) but that could just be me.

7. BlairMacKay

Jan 8, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
    Thanks Bill, yeah my monitor isn't calibrated. I know it makes my images look brighter so unfortunatelly it is a guessing game for me in Lightroom. Time for a new computer.

Can you tell me which images?

8. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    breathtaking , wonderful images , nice work

9. vietcam

vietcam Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2010
    Great set. Love them all

10. BlairMacKay

Jan 8, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
    Thanks guys!

11. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Blair, for me all the black and whites seem too dark. I think it must be particularly difficult to deal with black and white on a monitor that isn't up to snuff, whatever snuff might be. B & W is very difficult to get "right" when lighting is difficult, too.

The color ones appear much better in the sense of brightness vs darkness, though they seem a touch too dark or muted? I'm not quite sure how to describe it - perhaps the scenes were very contrasty? The boat guide one is definitely too dark for us to appreciate the really nice image that's there.

Your sunset looks great and the Sunrise Flower...and the Ride Back to China works well as it is because we do get the bright edging details on the grasses.

I'm strictly speaking regarding the "too dark" comments, not with regard to the scenes and images, all of which I enjoy looking at. During your blog days, I don't think this issue was pronounced. Did something change with your computer? I'm absolutely not a technophile...and I use a MacBook pro...but if you need help, please take a look at the Hardware forum... BillN was having a great deal of difficulty...

Keep posting and taking photos - I really enjoy them, Blair.

12. BlairMacKay

Jan 8, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
    Thanks BBW! My previous computer was fine when I was traveling, but it broke... Now I have to use my girlfriends computer and the monitor brightness is way off. I first noticed when I was looking at pics at the netbar but I was unsure whether it was that computer or mine.

Unfortunately I know now that it is indeed this computer. Hopefully I can find something online about calibrating monitors... but the compter is in Chinese so it could be difficult. I may get my other computer fixed next week.

Again thanks, I wasn't sure how dark the images were, so it is good to know now!

• Like Like x 1
  13. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Your welcome Blair. I'm glad you asked and that I could be of some help. Don't worry, we still love seeing your photos, when you can you'll get the computer fixed.

14. sabesh

sabesh Mu-43 Veteran

Very nice set. Thx for sharing!