4000 Islands, Laos

BlairMacKay

Mu-43 Regular

Hi all, so this was the last spot in Laos we visited. It is called Sii Phan Don, or 4000 Islands in English. The Islands are in Southern Laos, on the border with Cambodia, and are in the widest part of the Mekong. The name (4000 Islands) comes from... you guessed it, there are in estimated 4000 islands in the dry season.

We stayed on an Island called Don Det, and I have to say, it was the most relaxing spot I have ever been too. There are no cars, they just got electricity two months ago, and the people are very laid back. We went for two days and ended up spending a week... nice.

So here are the pics:

Bicycle/walking road
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Boat

My favourite tree

Dog vs. Buffalo

Sunset treeline

Sunrise flower

Island beach

Boat Guide

On the ride back to China

Thanks for looking. I may do a best of Laos thread in the future, and will definitelly do a Best of China thread from my blog!

BlairMacKay

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks Lisa, only at 14mm with the kit lens. For the sunset photo, the treeline was far away so I just got close to the ground to give it the wide angle effect. The first few were also at 14mm, I would love to have the 7-14mm though! Maybe in March...

BlairMacKay

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks Bill, yeah my monitor isn't calibrated. I know it makes my images look brighter so unfortunatelly it is a guessing game for me in Lightroom. Time for a new computer.

Can you tell me which images?

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Blair, for me all the black and whites seem too dark. I think it must be particularly difficult to deal with black and white on a monitor that isn't up to snuff, whatever snuff might be. B & W is very difficult to get "right" when lighting is difficult, too.

The color ones appear much better in the sense of brightness vs darkness, though they seem a touch too dark or muted? I'm not quite sure how to describe it - perhaps the scenes were very contrasty? The boat guide one is definitely too dark for us to appreciate the really nice image that's there.

Your sunset looks great and the Sunrise Flower...and the Ride Back to China works well as it is because we do get the bright edging details on the grasses.

I'm strictly speaking regarding the "too dark" comments, not with regard to the scenes and images, all of which I enjoy looking at. During your blog days, I don't think this issue was pronounced. Did something change with your computer? I'm absolutely not a technophile...and I use a MacBook pro...but if you need help, please take a look at the Hardware forum... BillN was having a great deal of difficulty...

Keep posting and taking photos - I really enjoy them, Blair.

BlairMacKay

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks BBW! My previous computer was fine when I was traveling, but it broke... Now I have to use my girlfriends computer and the monitor brightness is way off. I first noticed when I was looking at pics at the netbar but I was unsure whether it was that computer or mine.

Unfortunately I know now that it is indeed this computer. Hopefully I can find something online about calibrating monitors... but the compter is in Chinese so it could be difficult. I may get my other computer fixed next week.

Again thanks, I wasn't sure how dark the images were, so it is good to know now!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom