$40 for 16x20 METAL print

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by sprinke, Aug 15, 2012.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    ive done a few metal prints, i love them
    one thing to consider... they tend to come out darker than youre expecting
    since its based off of silver, not white(like paper print would be)

3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    If I were in a heavy metal band, I would definitely get a band photos done up this way.....would that be meta metal?

• Like Like x 2
  4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Great concept. In fact, you could name your band Meta Metal and all of your songs could be about other heavy metal songs. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  5. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    This sounds like it might be a really sweet deal. Should you compensate with higher exposure etc, to make this come out looking good? I have a photo in mind, but I want to be sure I could make it work.

6. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Thanks Sprinkle. I ordered one. Would like some larger prints of some shots. Need more things on the wall!

7. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i had gotten mine ages ago from another online retailer(that turned out to be a mile down the road!)

they brought it to my attn, and adjusted the outcome to look like the file for me
    im sure if you email them and say "can you adjust the brightness or exposure as necessary to keep the outcome on silver metal the same as the file i sent?"
    that theyd do it
    whats it take, half a second on a slider? and they do it all day, so im sure they know you need "+0.5" exposure, or whatever
    but yeah, if you were doing it yourself, id just up the exposure a tad brighter than you think youd like for it if you were keeping it digitally on screen

does that make sense? lol

• Like Like x 1
  8. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    That makes perfect sense. I have calibrated my monitors now for my own personal prints. They aren't super high end monitors but one does 98% and the prints are looking pretty accurate now and good enough for what I want. They just want a jpeg file under 10mb, so I'm going to send a 4000x3200 file. Hoping that the resolution is enough to look good!

9. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Hmmm... yes, I am interested. Just finished a batch myself. With all due respect, I order my metal (and now all my prints) from MPix (I am not affiliated in any way), and they are 19.95 for 16x20 in metal. Shipping is $8.00 for Priority mail (3 day).

You can do multiple prints and shipping cost does not really increase. I recently ordered ten (10) of these prints and it was still 7.95 for shipping for them as well. It does argue for tanking up a few prints before ordering.

But even for one, that's 28.00 or so which is significantly less expensive than $39.00...

I will say that despite thinking that they would come out a bit darker, they seem to have been very masterfully prepared for printing by the MPix staff. I was extremely pleased with all of the prints save for one, and that was my issue. MPix DOES rock...

Hope you don't mind me throwing this out there Sprinkle... good topic and I thought people should know about an even less expensive option.

woof!

10. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I've seen a handful of these on Groupon in the past by different companies, finally bit the bullet today. Now to pick a photo worth forty and some to print...
    Metal prints, or metallic prints? MPix sells metallic prints, as in prints on flexible paper with metallic components. This groupon is for metal prints, as in they ship you a sheet of aluminum with a photo printed on it.

11. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Just curious as I looked on their site before and never saw metal prints listed? I see under the Mpix Pro you can order them, but not the consumer website. Looking at other prices on the web this sure seemed to be a good deal.

12. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I'm pretty sure woof meant Mpix Metallic Paper prints. Which are, by the way, pretty awesome. I almost always get my prints done on Metallic.

13. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Ah... got it. Thanks! Did not understand the distinction. Apologies Sprinkle... Would love to see what a metal print looks like. What is the usual going throw for this kind of print?

woof!

14. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Got my print in the mail yesterday. It came out very nice! Actually lighter than I was expecting (maybe compensated too much?), but it looks great. Pretty fast turn-around and for the price I'm impressed.