1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

40-150mm and other telephoto options

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by sfmurph, Nov 6, 2013.

1. sfmurph

sfmurph Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    San Francisco
    So I'm quite happy since moving from a Canon Rebel to Olympus m4/3. The size is really great. I have a pretty good idea about what I'd like for normal and wide angle, but I'd like to hear about folks experience with the telephoto options.

I've heard that the Olympus 40-150mm is a very good bang-for-the-buck lens, at least up to 100mm. What about the longer tele zooms? I'd mostly be using this for my son's soccer games, plus other outdoor uses. These are mostly not very bright lenses, I realize. I was trying to shoot a game last weekend with a legacy 50mm with a 2x teleconverter, which wasn't a very fulfilling experience (to say the least!) But it did give me the sense that 100mm is probably the short side for what I'd want. I had a 55-250mm on my Canon, which would be like a 44-200mm in m4/3 FOV-terms. I'll have to go and check which focal lengths I used most with that.

2. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Good for the money pretty good as they say up to 100mm not to bad all the way out though.I bought one brand new on ebay that came with a kit for $98

3. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    The Oly is ridiculously good for the money up to 100-125 and not bad at 150.

We also own a Pana 45-175 which is better at the long end than the Oly and equally good perhaps a tiny bit better below 100. Is it worth twice or three times the cost?

For an Olympus body - no,
    Panasonic body vs the Pana 150? I don't think so (others may disagree).

Yes The handling is better at the long end than the Oly because of the internal zoom and it feels better built but that's not enough to cover the increase.

If you need more "reach" buy the cheaper lens and put the extra funds towards a Pana 100-300.

You could ask "if you think the above to be true why did we purchase one?".

We did this just avoid duplicating one range. With four m4/3 cameras in the family the intention is to have the following (still saving for the a few lenses)

Daughter/Son. 2x EPL-3/14-42 + 1 x O40-150
    Wife G3/14-42 + P45-175
    Me EM-5 + P14 + P25 + O45 + O75
    Shared P 100-300

Just 25, 75 and 100-300 to save up for

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

4. sfmurph

sfmurph Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    San Francisco
    Interesting thoughts. Thanks for sharing. I've looked on Ebay, but have never seen an Olympus 40-150mm out of a kit for less than $150. I see them pop up here for around $100. That sounds like my best bet, at least short term.

5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    For really long reach, the Oly 75-300 and Pany 100-300 are pretty reasonably priced. The first version of the Olympus was pretty expensive but the new version is down to about $500-550 and is supposed to be marginally better. The Panasonic is in the same neighborhood, is a bit larger, but I think pretty similar optically. Bang for the buck, there's nothing like the 40-150, which can be had for about $100-150. And for fast tele but not all that long, the Panasonic 35-100 is an excellent lens for the portrait range and beyond, but not up to the really long stuff. It and the 75mm are really amazing lenses, and priced to match... I very rarely find anything to do with the 75-300, but I have one and when I want to use it, it works pretty well. Here's one of my few experiments with burst mode shooting at the full 300mm extension, at a baseball game in 2012 - this is the beginning of a colossal home run. I know there are pro lenses that are sharper, but this is a somewhat substantial crop from the EM5 and I'm happy enough with it...

Phillies-Giants-246-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

-Ray