40-150 Pro — MC-14 or MC-20?

I have both of the TC’s, the 40-150 and the 300. I get more reliable photos with the 1.4, which should be expected. I get more bad focus or no focus shots with the 2.0 on the 300. I am also often shooting in heat, wind and ridiculously long distances. With the 300 and the 2.0 on my EM-1 II, it is also too long for my PD Messenger Bag.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have a MC-20 and I love it! A little expensive but 40-150 PRO is not cheap either.

MC-20 is a relative cheap and light solution to get an 80-300 IF you have the 40-150 PRO. 5,6 is no problem with E-M5 III if used outside. And inside I do not need 300...
Agreed, 300mm indoors is not a use case for me. Even my 300mm needs are more for short range like birds at less than 50 feet, or zoo creatures at less than 100 feet.
Why would any of us. Yet here many of us find ourselves, with a good deal more bags than we really need. 😂
Too many bags is a sign of a proper photographer! I have 4, and 2 of them came with camera kits. I didn’t get the kit for the bag, but you know these camera merchants. I think they also have too many and just like giving them out like a t-shirt canon at a baseball game.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Agreed, 300mm indoors is not a use case for me. Even my 300mm needs are more for short range like birds at less than 50 feet, or zoo creatures at less than 100 feet.

Too many bags is a sign of a proper photographer! I have 4, and 2 of them came with camera kits. I didn’t get the kit for the bag, but you know these camera merchants. I think they also have too many and just like giving them out like a t-shirt canon at a baseball game.
Only four!? :eek: ;) I must admit I do have a collection of different sizes & styles. One I have used a fair bit is a canvas messenger style bag (off ebay), but for more serious loading up is the LowePro Flipside 400AW (I bought the later version for my son-in-law recently) but also have small bags for those 'single lens' occasions etc. too.

Rick_B

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rick Baumhauer
I bought the MC-14 as soon as it came out, and have never been unhappy with its performance on the 40-150. I bought the MC-20 when it came out last year, expecting to test it, find it a bit wanting, and return it. However, I was blown away by the results, particularly for insects and bold birds that let you get fairly close. Now, the MC-20 is rarely separated from my 40-150 - it's a really awesome, flexible combination for just about any critter you might come across.

MichailK

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Mind you, for a light kit the 75-300 is still a viable lens (in good enough light) but the quality is better with the Pro combination.
just took an elaborate look on camerasize and the PRO+MC20 combo looks quite a bit bigger and heavier, even more so if attached on a better balanced E-M1 class body and when I looked at the extra price of the MC20 alone I understood the combo is just two leagues higher than the cheap and cheerful 75-300 that feels balanced enough on the petite E-M10ii in my everyday bag..,

Is the sunny enough days IQ that better to justify the 3x PRO combo price along the size&weight penalty?

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
just took an elaborate look on camerasize and the PRO+MC20 combo looks quite a bit bigger and heavier, even more so if attached on a better balanced E-M1 class body and when I looked at the extra price of the MC20 alone I understood the combo is just two leagues higher than the cheap and cheerful 75-300 that feels balanced enough on the petite E-M10ii in my everyday bag..,

Is the sunny enough days IQ that better to justify the 3x PRO combo price along the size&weight penalty?
Ironically, I don’t mind the 40-150 pro on my E-M5iii, and it’s my favorite and most-used lens. Once I got to that point, the cost of the MC-20 wasn’t so bad. But yeah, the lens itself is a bigger investiment.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom