40-150 F2.8 + TC against the 75-300 thoughts please

Lindsay D

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Lindsay
I'm a little late on this discussion, but I will say what has probably already been said.

If you need only a little more reach than your current 40-150 Pro with TC, and if you are on a tight budget, then I would suggest the Panasonic 100-300. You will save a bit of money if you go with the Mk1. I prefer this lens to the Olympus 75-300, notwithstanding the fact that I may have shot with a soft copy of the latter.

Providing you set your expectations accordingly there is no reason why the Panasonic 100-300 won't prove useful. I did some sharpness field testing here: Panasonic 100-300 Lens Bird Photography Field Review

For birding, if you're serious about getting maximum reach, nothing beats the versatility of the Panasonic 100-400. Obviously that is a big investment and not ideal if you're on a constrained budget, but it's probably the only lens which is likely to fully satisfy you. The Olympus 300 pro is fantastic of course with the TC, but being a prime I found it extremely limited in real-world usage if you're moving through different environments or needing to gain a variety of shots.

wolfie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi Lindsay,
Enjoyed your review on the GX8 with the 100-400 - loved how the bokeh that radiates behind the duck rather like a male peacock tail fan ...
Panasonic_GX8_Wildlife_Field_Tests_High_ISO_+copy3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Lindsay D

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Lindsay
I see what you mean Wolfie - and as lenses go, I think the 100-400 is nothing short of spectacular. In order to buy it I had to sell my beautiful Olympus 40-150 Pro and TC, but I never regretted it. I think if you're into birding or smaller animals then this particular optic is a no-brainer, if budget allows. I must admit the GX8 is still my favourite camera ever. I say that as an owner of some very nice Sony APS-C and full frame mirrorless machines.

Latest threads

Top Bottom