1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

40-150 f/2.8 PRO Already Scratched

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Harvey Melvin Richards, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    :mad: Very PO'd about this. I went to clean the front lens for the very first time. I have babied this lens, it always has the hood extended when taking photos, and if not being used, the lens cap is on. None of my other lenses, all used more, have any scratches at all.

There is one scratch I can see by eye, about 5/16ths of an inch long. The second scratch shows up in photos, but I can't see it on the lens. It is also parallel to the larger, deeper scratch. I never felt the need for protective filters, because I'm very careful with my lenses. My 39 year old OM 50 1.8 has no scratches on it.

M1017720-1_Large_.jpg

2. DMLarson

DMLarson Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2014
    Dan
    Oh, I am so sorry Harvey. That's just terrible.

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Such a bummer.

4. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    .... Sorry to see that. There's a reason to use a protective filter. .....

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    That's why I have a filter on every one of my lenses, while they are insured, a filter is much easier to replace than going through a repair process.

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Any chance this is not a scratch and instead is some kind of mark that can be wiped off? Seems impossible that it would have a scratch like this without some kind of explanation.

• Like Like x 2
  7. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Yeah, give it a good cleaning. I've cleaned off marks that I was certain were scratches before.

8. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Sounds like someone has been fooling around with is and kept quiet about it, any kids in the house?

9. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    No kids. Yes, I've cleaned it again multiple times. Because the 2 scratches are parallel, it seems like something with 2 points slid across the lens. I have no idea what that would have been though. I have read numerous places that the glass has some sort of hard coat on it, so it would seem like it would take some effort to scratch it like this.

How would I test to see if this impacts my images?

10. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yup... same reason I use filters... Good ones. I also don't use caps.

11. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    :(

• Like Like x 1
  12. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

A dog paw? I've seen quite a few of them in your photos.

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  13. Vinpocetine

Vinpocetine Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2014
    Your front element can take a crap-ton of abuse without having any real impact on your photos.

For example:

http://www.kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35.html

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008/10/front-element-scratches

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=37613

This is why, unlike some of the guys responding, I don't use a hood, filter or anything else. Buying a filter for every lens that I have owned would cost me the same as a few front element repairs :biggrin: . I understand your annoyance though, I'd be annoyed too and then I'd do my best to forget about it.

To test it, shoot into the sun and see if you're getting any weird refractions or flares. Shoot a white background, shoot a dark background, shoot something with a repeating pattern to test the detail.

If it's really bothering you for some reason, I doubt that it will cost you too much, a front element repair is pretty straightforward and shouldnt cost more than a couple hundred bucks.

That front element is mostly for show ;). Just take care of that rear element!!!

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    That's awful, I'm sorry for you. There's a thread posted quite some time ago about an 'experiment' by lens rentals, it shows images taken through a lens in far worse condition with surprisingly good results. Also read (on this forum again) about using a black marker pen to pigment the scratch marks.
    Having said that such damage would drive me nuts and I would be asking Olympus for an estimate to replace the front element.
    Lots of us don't use filters - my P7-14 for instance runs bare for obvious reasons.

15. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Might be the back of lens cap accidentally scratch the lens?

16. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I don't think that'll make any difference to the actual images taken with the lens, not even stopped down to f22. but it might be time to use a good filter to prevent further damage.

17. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    Singapore
    Leo
    Ouch! Feel your pain.

Posted from my lovely Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

18. Clicka

Clicka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2014
    Vancouver
    Peter Campbell
    ouch. that's hard to look at even if it (hopefully) doesn't impact the pictures. is there anyway to replace or repair that?

19. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If the scratches are deep enough to cause refractions or flares, you can try and minimize it by filling in the scratch with black china marker or some sort of wax.

20. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Very sorry to hear, especially since you were careful. If for some reason more appear without reason, I would contact Olympus. The coatings are supposed to be hard, although not indestructible, but one never knows if there was a bad batch that could have slipped through. But, I suspect that you were just hit by unidentified bad luck, although as was said above, it may not impact your images at all.

So sorry,

--Ken