40-150 australian pricing!!!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by 350duser, Oct 3, 2014.

1. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
  2. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Heh - nice price. Olympus seems to have a soft spot for Australia.

3. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Camera Pro are usually cheaper than Digital Camera Warehouse, actually a couple of hundred dollars cheaper on the 12-40 f/2.8 when I bought it. They had a price up a few days ago of $1899 if I remember correctly, with a note that the price was not finalised and that orders would be charged their quoted price on release which was expected to be cheaper. That listing seems to have disappeared from their website at the moment. Olympus Australia are still saying "Price to be announced" on their website.

I would not be surprised to see the Digital Camera Warehouse price change between now and release.

4. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    If I was in Japan you reckon it would be cheaper (after currency conversion) to buy there?

5. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Not fair, the UK gets charged $2400 (AUD) just for the lens! It would be nice to live somewhere where camera equipment is reasonably priced.

6. digiDIRECT are currently asking $1,899.

Andrew

7. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Looks like thats without the TC x1.4

8. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Check out Jamie McDonald's video with one of the first product lenses. http://www.43rumors.com

When I first heard that the lens and TC would not be in a kit for the US market I was upset. Then I compared the US and UK prices. We can get the lens and TC together in US for about the lens price in the UK. I think Europe will be about the same.

I have preordered a lens and TC from B&H for both me and the wife. That should make a very nice set of gifts under the Christmas tree.

9. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

10. Ross the fiddler

They're just a little slow to get their price up & then they're likely to say that is the RR price with a good discount at the price they will sell it for. I don't find their methods (advertising) totally honest & they aren't the lowest priced place about. I bought my E-M5 from them in the beginning but have bought lenses & E-M1 from CamBuy instead since.

• Like Like x 2
  11. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
  12. Ross the fiddler

No, they're not & are not too bad with what they have, but there are other places that can undercut them though. Last Christmas Cambuy was waiting for some stock to arrive but the couriers lost their goods for a few days & so I was able the get the Stylus 1 from DCW instead (at the same price as Cambuy at the time) & I drove down to Canterbury to pick it up on the Saturday to have it for Christmas (& gratiously understood by Gary at CamBuy). That is a nice carry anywhere camera actually. I drove to CamBuy in Rosebery at the end of May this year to pick up my E-M1, so it is nice to be able to order from shop front businesses & pick up if desired too (& at good prices for Aussie stock). I only made mention of grey stock since some stockists have low prices which aren't Australian stock, but the above & also Camera Pro are all Aussie stock.

13. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I wonder how they are able to sell the lens and tele-extender for that price?

14. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Qld Australia
    Maria
    I was looking at maybe purchasing the 50-200 43rds lens to get the extra reach but also saw the price of the 40-150 with the adapter at Cambuy.
    I already have the 35-100 f2.8 panasonic but this new lens is getting soooooo very tempting.

15. Ross the fiddler

That's part of the package deal & I think anyone buying that lens & doesn't get the combined TC kit are not buying at all wisely. That is excellent value to include the TC as well. The prices are so good because CamBuy & others take advantage of Camera House bulk buying prices & are able to order their stock through them, even though they aren't a Camera House franchise or whatever arrangements they have & we get the items at a very good price. Depending on the time the prices can be from 10% (to 20%) off RR.

16. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    DigiDirect used to be a Camera House store, so I wonder if they have any similar arrangements, though the DigiDirect price is way higher. I agree that not getting the TC would be a pretty dumb move, especially if you can get it combined at such a good price.

17. Ross the fiddler

I think they do their own direct buying from Olympus now, but when I bought my E-M5 from them (in 2012) Olympus advised me they were buying their stock from a bulk wholesaler (which was prossibly through Camera House) & couldn't give me any info on my backorder that so many of us wanted to know then, as we eagerly waited for our E-M5 kit to be ready for us. I went into Sydney to pick mine up then, missed the train & ended up driving in & paying far too much at a parking station, but I had my camera in my hot little hands & I was happy.

18. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    There has to be more to it than taking advantage of Camera House bulk pricing, because the Camera House outlets I've been to have all been pretty much on RRP.

I had assumed that when I inevitably yielded to temptation and bought the 40-150/2.8 I'd get it from DigiDIRECT, because they are usually the cheapest of the Melbourne options. But at that price from Cambuy, yielding could be quicker than planned.

I still want to see how it performs, and not just tested by Olympus insiders.

19. Ross the fiddler

They told me that is where they source there camera gear through & Olympus told me the retailers would be able to discount because of the bulk buying discount rate the Camera House warehouse gets it at. Maybe this shouldn't be shouted about & maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it here because I don't want this arrangement to stop if we can continue to get our gear at these great rates. Olympus told me then that a number of retailers buy through this bulk buying wholesaler. Also, if you're a Camera House franchise store then you are also bound to their pricing too. Being an indepentant has its benefits.

About DigiDirect, they would be direct purchasers now because they show on the retailers list when registering the camera & lenses now. These other discount retailers are not listed because they don't buy direct but are still approved retailers (because I still qualified for my $300 cashback on the E-M1 that went till the end of June & I did double check at Olympus before buying as well).