40-150 2.8 lens hood question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by marcr1230, Feb 17, 2017.

1. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    The hood connect to the front of lens using a sliding ring inside the hood, so once mounted the hood can slide to extend or retract

There's a bit of play in the setup when retracted, you can push the back end of the hood and it will move towards the lens body "decentering" the hood temporarily until you let go and it pops back

My question is: has anyone had problems with the hood because of this? Can it break or loosen ? I'm asking because when packed in the soft case with the hood retracted, or when in a camera bag, it can be bumped around enough for this effect to take place

2. G.Webb

G.Webb Mu-43 Rookie

May 27, 2015
    G
    Mine does the same thing. I've had it for years and so far no problem.
    I Have had it in all types of camera bags on and off the camera.
    I heard of some coming apart on others but don't know the circumstances of the failure.

3. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I've been hauling mine around with the hood on in a PD Everyday Messenger 15 for a while and have had no issues. The hood and its mounting to the lens is as snug and trouble free as the first time I used it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. greenboy

greenboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Hand wringing not necessary. Same with the Oly 60mm macro. Don't worry be happy ; }

5. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I've had some problem with the hood but not because of this, the ring on the rear end of the hood that bears the pulling come unglued, and it keeps coming off even I tried gluing it back, resulting in the lens hood comes apart sometimes.

I believe the "decentering" does not cause any trouble though, I've seen the inside of the lens hood thoroughly after the rear ring came off. One thing is certain, you do need to pull out the hood gently, learn from my mistake.